monash law externaltransfer (1 Viewer)

rx34

HSC
I had one friend who didn't make the cutoff for some RMIT course (i think it was accountancy) last year. Anyhoo, she went to RMIT student services (on swanston/latrobe st), talked to some ladies and got them to consider her application. She was then offered a place at RMIT (I'm not sure whether it was an 'on the spot' offer or third round)

hotdimsim

HSC
lol who'd you beg to? I know a few people who are tryin to transfer into RMIT next year.
i dont want to name names, or what school he/she was from, but i originally emailed someone (cant remember) and they passed me onto the chief admissions officer for the school. they rang me and i organised a meeting. I went into their office and chatted for like 15 min about my situation, why i did so shit at monash, what i can offer rmit, why i want to study what i want to etc. and ultimately what changes i would have to make to be successful (compared to what i was doing at monash) and then they thanked me, shook my hand and said i was "back in the applicant pool." About a month later i was on the gold coast with some mates and i got a call from my mom saying i got an early round offer. Pretty freaking happy. :music:

But i had a pretty unique situation where my bad marks werent directly from laziness, shit study habits etc. and i had evidence to back this up

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
i dont want to name names, or what school he/she was from, but i originally emailed someone (cant remember) and they passed me onto the chief admissions officer for the school. they rang me and i organised a meeting. I went into their office and chatted for like 15 min about my situation, why i did so shit at monash, what i can offer rmit, why i want to study what i want to etc. and ultimately what changes i would have to make to be successful (compared to what i was doing at monash) and then they thanked me, shook my hand and said i was "back in the applicant pool." About a month later i was on the gold coast with some mates and i got a call from my mom saying i got an early round offer. Pretty freaking happy. :music:

But i had a pretty unique situation where my bad marks werent directly from laziness, shit study habits etc. and i had evidence to back this up
ah right, just needed the positions of the people that you spoke to not the names, which you provided so thanks :)

dogdayafternoon

HSC
I'm applying for eng/law at monash too. I've got somewhat similar scores to you dimsim........... UAI 88.10 and a GPA of 3.03/4 from a Commerce/Arts double degree (which I completed this year). eng/law looks competitive but perhaps not as competitive as SYD or UNSW. Reckon we stand a chance?

Sir Lancelot

HSC
I'm currently studying Law/Commerce at a different Uni and looking to transfer into Law at Monash. I'm not sure if it's possible to transfer into 2nd year as i've already done/doing 1st year law? The website isn't very clear on this. Sitting on a HD average so hopefully i can get in.

Does anyone know if it is possible to do this, transfer into 2nd year?

dogdayafternoon

HSC
Lancelot: Taken from:

Students at other universities: Pathways into Law at Monash

Entry requirements

To be eligible for an external transfer into law at Monash, students must have:

Completed one or more years of a recognised tertiary degree (ie. a minimum of 48 credit points) and
Achieved a distinction average or better (70%+) across all university units for a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP), or
Achieved a credit average or better (60%+) across all university units for an international full-fee place.
Note: The above averages are the minimum entry criteria to be eligible for admission. Entry to law courses via external transfer is a competitive process and the actual average required depends on the number and standard of applications received each year.

Anyone have any idea as to an average 'competitive' GPA? they say 70% but thats obviously the minimum.....

rx34

HSC
BUMP!

Anyone applied for a transfer for March 2010 intake? Please do share! I did worse in semester 2 compared to semester 1 :( However, my overall wam is 79.50 and GPA is 6.25. I'm glad they don't consider the ENTER if you did first year uni; my ENTER was atrocious.

Sirlancelot, I reckon if you maintained that HD average in sem 2, you're definitely in :)

dogdayafternoon, a distinction average would translate to a GPA of 6. But a wam starting from 70 would mean a credit average (GPA 5). But on the safe side a GPA of 6 would be good.

Sir Lancelot

HSC
BUMP!

Anyone applied for a transfer for March 2010 intake? Please do share! I did worse in semester 2 compared to semester 1 :( However, my overall wam is 79.50 and GPA is 6.25. I'm glad they don't consider the ENTER if you did first year uni; my ENTER was atrocious.

Sirlancelot, I reckon if you maintained that HD average in sem 2, you're definitely in :)
Your WAM's awsome!! Can't see how they would reject you with that.
I dropped off this semester, fell from a WAM of 85ish to 77.2 thanks to Macroeconomics :evilfire:. Hopefully that will still be enough though....

No clue on what my GPA is though....used the thing on Monash's website and came out with 3.75? but that doesn't sound right...

angryjam

HSC
holy shit!
hahahahaa ahh i didnt do as well as i did in semster 1, so i have a 75 average :(
i dont want to be rejected
rx34 what was ur enter, i bet i can beat u?
:)

rx34

HSC
holy shit!
hahahahaa ahh i didnt do as well as i did in semster 1, so i have a 75 average :(
i dont want to be rejected
rx34 what was ur enter, i bet i can beat u?
:)
Lol you definitely beat me in enter! My ENTER was disgustingly low, I'm too ashamed to mention it. Good luck for law transfer hun, 11 days now :p

compache

HSC
N/A
11 days for me too. sitting just on a 75% average. Hope we all get in :) .

rx34

HSC
I'll be super pissed off if I get a place at Monash and not in USyd. My heart belongs in USyd even though I grew up in Melbourne. I pray I won't get Monash but USyd. Fingers crossed :)

Baiku

Coolest Member
HSC
I'll be super pissed off if I get a place at Monash and not in USyd. My heart belongs in USyd even though I grew up in Melbourne. I pray I won't get Monash but USyd. Fingers crossed :)
why would you "pray" to not get accepted into something that you applied for - seems somewhat counter-intuitive. If you don't want to go there, you could just... not apply!

Mookiez

HSC
why would you "pray" to not get accepted into something that you applied for - seems somewhat counter-intuitive. If you don't want to go there, you could just... not apply!
It's called not placing all of ones eggs in one basket. Although it would be 'bad' per se to get into Monash and not uSyd, it's better than not getting into either =)

rx34

HSC
It's called not placing all of ones eggs in one basket. Although it would be 'bad' per se to get into Monash and not uSyd, it's better than not getting into either =)
Hey thanks Mookiez. You're spot on about not putting all the eggs in one basket, I applied to Monash just in case I didn't get to USyd. Anyway, everything worked out fine. I didn't get my law offers to Monash and Flinders University was really upset. However I got law offers from UQ and UWA.

The last offer I got was the best offer of all, USyd combined law! Anyway, all the best. To the other Monash law transferee hopefuls, did you guys get a spot?

angryjam

HSC
ahhh i put all my eggs into the one basket and didnt get in :( 75 isn't 78 guys!
it was hell trying to find another course over two days i spent hours scanning universities websites 4 courses arhhh but it was kinda fun but not the part when it comes to calling then asking about transfers and them telling you there is no such thing or they aren't sure yet and call in feb. but!!! i got into languages at monash anyway because it seemed like a good course for me
: )

rx34

HSC
ahhh i put all my eggs into the one basket and didnt get in :( 75 isn't 78 guys!
it was hell trying to find another course over two days i spent hours scanning universities websites 4 courses arhhh but it was kinda fun but not the part when it comes to calling then asking about transfers and them telling you there is no such thing or they aren't sure yet and call in feb. but!!! i got into languages at monash anyway because it seemed like a good course for me
: )
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that hun. Did you apply to interstate universities? Generally, it's easier at unis in Queensland, WA and ACT.

Oh wouldnt calling the universities asking for a course qualify as an irregular offer? Good luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)