Monash Arts/Law vs Melb New Gen Arts with guaranteed pathway to JD? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi all, i've been offered a spot at Monash in the Arts/Law course but I just recently found out that over 99 (ENTER was 99.45) earns you a guaranteed pathway (full fee, but guaranteed) to the Juris Doctor at Melbourne University (bloody know-nothing careers counsellors). I'm looking to go into diplomacy/foreign affairs and was wondering which would be considered better. Melbourne is easier to get to transport-wise, will give be a 2500 bribe upfront and is more internationally recognised (ie prestige/snob factor). On the other hand, I'm already in a Law degree with Monash, will graduate sooner (though this is not a huge factor, I'm in no hurry to get into the real world :p) and it's not something new and untested. I've rung Melb Uni and they're quite eager to have me and I'm encouraged to come along on Monday to their Academic Advice Day.

Advice?

kenny.

HSC
You should definitely come along on Monday coz there'll be heaps of info about your course and subjects within the course, aaand u can come say hi lol but then again ur faculty is waaay different to mine =)

Also have you seen the new law school @ Melbourne? it's off campus but its nice as.

psychlaw

Banned
HSC
Capricious said:
Hi all, i've been offered a spot at Monash in the Arts/Law course but I just recently found out that over 99 (ENTER was 99.45) earns you a guaranteed pathway (full fee, but guaranteed) to the Juris Doctor at Melbourne University (bloody know-nothing careers counsellors). I'm looking to go into diplomacy/foreign affairs and was wondering which would be considered better. Melbourne is easier to get to transport-wise, will give be a 2500 bribe upfront and is more internationally recognised (ie prestige/snob factor). On the other hand, I'm already in a Law degree with Monash, will graduate sooner (though this is not a huge factor, I'm in no hurry to get into the real world :p) and it's not something new and untested. I've rung Melb Uni and they're quite eager to have me and I'm encouraged to come along on Monday to their Academic Advice Day.

Advice?
definately take the arts/law at monash... for the following two reasons

(1) it is CSP, so will save you money

(2) You will be out much sooner and into a law firm, earning up to 100k a year soon after - or the other option is to waste a bit more time in melbourne and rather then earning money, losing up to 22k a year (considering the fact that its full fee as you said)

that is just my opinion and it is ur choice in the end, good luck

HSC
psychlaw said:
definately take the arts/law at monash... for the following two reasons

(1) it is CSP, so will save you money

(2) You will be out much sooner and into a law firm, earning up to 100k a year soon after - or the other option is to waste a bit more time in melbourne and rather then earning money, losing up to 22k a year (considering the fact that its full fee as you said)

that is just my opinion and it is ur choice in the end, good luck
1) this is true

but i can get into CSP at melbourne if i have a 75 average throughout the Arts degree (I did enhancement PHL 1070/1080 at Monash Uni with a 85 average with minimal readings/effort - but PHL was a bit of bullshit tbh) so i would have to work my ass off for the next three years.

2) im not entirely sure if i want to practice law and money is not my main issue - i want to get into diplomacy/foreign affairs :p

thanks for being so blunt though. you were quite helpful :)

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Well, I guess if you're willing to be saddled with the pressure of obtaining a 75+ to get into the Juris Doctor postgrad course then that is up to you. Though if you're doing Arts, I suspect that it should be quite easy to get a 75+, provided that you enjoy all the courses that you are doing. If you're the type of person that can have fun while under pressure to do well I guess Arts @ Melb would be okay or you. A JD is more prestigious than an LLB, so you might want to take that into account.

In my opinion, the Monash Enhancement courses may not be an indication of the difficulty of the units in actual unversity years. I did Australian History & Politics and scored a 93 quite easily. In Year 12, HDs are as common as candy. Almost all my mates achieved a HD.

If it was me, I'd choose Arts/Law @ Monash, mainly because there'd be less pressure to study law (i've had enough pressure during VCE). Furthermore, if you really wanted a JD and you weren't really in a hurry to leave uni (who would? :) ) then you could undertake a JD (@ Melb or Monash) after you've completed your Arts/Law @ Monash.

But you'd have to ask yourself whether a JD is necessary or whether an LLB would suffice for a future diplomat. I hear that a JD tends to be more practical-based as it prepares you for legal work, so it may not be that necessary. But if you really want to separate fact from fiction, the best thing to do would be to ask various legal workers as well as the faculties in each uni.

Best of luck in your endeavours whatever they may be! :)

colourmyworld17

HSC
Im having a similar issue deciding on my couse, i didnt score quite as highly as you, Capricious, but I can get into Arts/Law at Deakin or work my way into Law at Melbourne from doing Arts.

I can't decide which option would be better for me. Any suggestions? What is the law/arts course at Deakin like? I dont know.

HSC
Just a note on what psychlaw said - I wouldn't decide which one to do based on the opinion that finishing uni sooner will mean you get into a 100k + job sooner, or in the next few years after finishing. Legal practice takes a lot longer to get into, and requires years of being assistants and interns to more experienced lawyers before you will find yourself high enough in a law firm to be earning that sort of money.

Just thought I should point out that neither option would get you straight into a well paid law practicing job. Though as you have indicated law is not your particular area of career interest.

As for melb v monash...probably doesn't matter that much - whilst Melbourne uni certainly has the prestige/ego, if an employee sees your ENTER on your resume below your uni certifications, I'm sure they will be smart enough to realise that you could have gone to melbourne anyway. If you think monash will be better for you, go for it, because as long as you pass a law degree with good marks, it is a law degree, and I agree the Juris Doctor is probably not necessary (especially considering how expensive it is/difficult to get into) for a degree in politics/diplomacy. Many in that field don't even have a law degree let alone a JD, especially those not working in Parliament.

Monash is fairly well known for a good arts/law program, and I have a friend who loves it. I have another friend who is doing arts at Melbourne with the hope of getting into the JD at the end of 3 years, and she is finding it difficult, despite an ENTER of 98 +, to maintain a high enough average - it is very stressful, even with a guaranteed place.

amol

HSC
I'm confused:(

If I get 99+ will I be guaranteed a place in the Melbourne Law JD?
Do I need to maintain a 75 average as well?

Please Help!!

compache

HSC
N/A
I assume your talking about the guaranteed entry pathway from year 12.
If so then, this is the requirements set by the Melbourne Law School on their web page.

For a Commonwealth supported place in the graduate degree:

• achieve an ENTER (or equivalent) of 99.9 (achieved in the final year of schooling in Australia by 2010);
  • commence an undergraduate course at the University of Melbourne following completion of schooling;
  • complete the undergraduate degree with a H2A (75%) weighted average;

(graduate selection into Medicine, Dental Science, and Physiotherapy is also subject to satisfactory performance at an interview to demonstrate adequate communication skills).

For a fee place (Australian or international) in the graduate degree*:
  • achieve an ENTER (or equivalent) of 99.0 (achieved in the final year of schooling by 2010);
  • commence an undergraduate degree at the University of Melbourne following completion of schooling;
  • complete the undergraduate degree with a H2A (75%) weighted average;

(graduate selection into Medicine, Dental Science, and Physiotherapy is also subject to satisfactory performance at an interview to demonstrate adequate communication skills).
Guaranteed entry for school-leavers : Undergraduate : Future students : The University of Melbourne

If you don't achieve that, then they will make you sit the LSAT (Law School Admission Test) and then ask you to write a personal statement as to why you want to study law. They will get your academic results from your undergraduate degree. The school will consider you on the basis of those 3 criteria.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)