Module C (1 Viewer)

Nikolerak

HSC
Would writing a creative about a high functioning autistic boy be a good idea or not?

idkkdi

HSC
Would writing a creative about a high functioning autistic boy be a good idea or not?
Depends on whether the creative is realistic, which is kinda hard to do if you yourself are not a high functioning autistic boy. If you can pull it off, I think it would be good.

quickoats

HSC
I'm assuming that you're taking inspiration from "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time"?

This is probably not the best way to go about it for the purposes of Mod C. Think about Mark Haddon's style and the techniques he uses to amplify the voice of Christopher and authentically portray him as a high functioning teenage boy with a social disorder.

Employ some of the techniques Haddon uses to create an unusual (but loveable) protagonist who the audience would normally assume as a social outcast - things like the short succinct sentences with a lack of adjectives to demonstrate Christopher's very literal take on the world around around him, or the random breakouts into irrelevant topics which show Christopher's lack of attention span and difficulty to concentrate on what is happening around him.

Your own character can be completely different from Christopher (it is probably better if it is, because plagiarism). Using some traits and mimicking how Haddon portrays those through the text will make for a richer response that the markers will reward. This would be more effective than just recycling the plot.

Nikolerak

HSC
I'm assuming that you're taking inspiration from "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time"?

This is probably not the best way to go about it for the purposes of Mod C. Think about Mark Haddon's style and the techniques he uses to amplify the voice of Christopher and authentically portray him as a high functioning teenage boy with a social disorder.

Employ some of the techniques Haddon uses to create an unusual (but loveable) protagonist who the audience would normally assume as a social outcast - things like the short succinct sentences with a lack of adjectives to demonstrate Christopher's very literal take on the world around around him, or the random breakouts into irrelevant topics which show Christopher's lack of attention span and difficulty to concentrate on what is happening around him.

Your own character can be completely different from Christopher (it is probably better if it is, because plagiarism). Using some traits and mimicking how Haddon portrays those through the text will make for a richer response that the markers will reward. This would be more effective than just recycling the plot.
I have never read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" as I have another prescribed text for Module B. So I don't have a clue if my protagonist is anything like Cristopher. The focus of my story is his low-self esteem and sensory sensitivities (gets overwhelmed by loud noises, but is sensory seeking when it comes to visual stimuli and is mesmerised by bright lights and colours), not so much his social awkwardness. He is a high achieving student in maths and science, but of course language is his weakness. When he was younger he used to focus and worry about his weaknesses, but eventually in his late teenage years he realises that he needs to focus on his strengths in order to live fulfilled life.

quickoats

HSC
I have never read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" as I have another prescribed text for Module B. So I don't have a clue if my protagonist is anything like Cristopher. The focus of my story is his low-self esteem and sensory sensitivities (gets overwhelmed by loud noises, but is sensory seeking when it comes to visual stimuli and is mesmerised by bright lights and colours), not so much his social awkwardness. He is a high achieving student in maths and science, but of course language is his weakness. When he was younger he used to focus and worry about his weaknesses, but eventually in his late teenage years he realises that he needs to focus on his strengths in order to live fulfilled life.
Sorry about making the assumption - almost everyone does Curious Incident for Mod B Standard :)

As long as you can authentically portray the character, it's definitely fine. Feel free to take inspo from Haddon's techniques so your work can develop. If you can "show, not tell", that would be best e.g. never explicitly say the character has low self esteem and sensory sensitivities, but rather implying it through the voice and narration.

Nikolerak

HSC
Sorry about making the assumption - almost everyone does Curious Incident for Mod B Standard :)

As long as you can authentically portray the character, it's definitely fine. Feel free to take inspo from Haddon's techniques so your work can develop. If you can "show, not tell", that would be best e.g. never explicitly say the character has low self esteem and sensory sensitivities, but rather implying it through the voice and narration.
Yep, I only mention low self esteem and sensory sensitivities in my reflection statement & lot of "showing, not telling" in the actual story. Most of my techniques are from Rowling's speech "Fringe Benefits of Failure and Importance of Imagination" and some from King's "Crouch End", which are my Module C prescribed texts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)