Module B - Speeches (1 Viewer)

dumbralph

HSC
does anyone think that they will specify a speech? what have u done to prepare for that module?

Abbeygale

HSC
I don't think that's what she means, Anti. She was referring to specifying a speech, as in, one of the speeches studied in Module B.

I'm fairly certain they will- they haven't done so since 2002, so it's likely that they will either this year or next year. My study has mostly consisted of trying to have a general knowledge of all twelve. If they don't specify I want to write an essay with Lincoln, King, and Havel or McAleese. This also gives me a 1/3 chance of them specifying a speech that I have an in depth knowledge of.

Also, I'm trying to be really familiar with the older speeches- Socrates, Cicero, Lincoln and Goldman. Often they'll ask questions shaped around continuity- why speeches continue to be valued. If they do so this year, it's likely they would specify an older speech, like they did in 2002.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
if they do specify a speech then do the followng:

Good Morning

(Insert Essay here)

Thankyou.

cheekyT

speechs

wasnt it in 2003 that they chose a particular speech in the question? apparently there was alot of negative response to that...so HOPEFULLY they wont do it again

angelar

they're refering to the speeches for study, not the text type!
and yeah they specified lincoln in 2002!
I reckon tey'll only ever specify lincoln or king because thy're the easiest apparently, and the most well known. Also, i heard that they specified mcaleese or something years ago and the shit hit the fan, so they'll never do it again. All in all, if they specify a ranom speech and everyone ends up struggling, then the BOS and NSw education looks crap because our marks are so low.

So just roughly know lincoln and king if u dont use them as your main ones, and good luck!

ps. Im dreading this exam the worst! i hate modules!

poodoorfan

jyrjt

what if they specify a speech eg lincoln and that is one of the 2 that you know in depth? cause we only got told we had to know 2 and mine are lincoln and luther king so what if one of the secified speeches is one of those? then what happenes do you still just write going with those same 2 or should i maybe look into knowing a 3rd?

Abbeygale

HSC
Hasn't speeches only been going since 2001? I couldn't find questions on speeches in any of the pre-2001 papers.

Since 2001, only Lincoln has been specified (in 2002). The notes from the marking centre indicate that it was done very well, and there were no problems arising from specifying. Whether that is true or not is debatable, since the notes aren't likely to say 'Whoa boy, we really screwed up on setting that question, didn't we?'

Also, keep in mind that in 2003, the CSSA papers specified Atwood. If the CSSA is willing to specify an obscure text, why wouldn't the BOS?

angelar

well it means ur lucky that u know the specified one well, so u can answer that part of the question proerly, but i dunno, we've always been told to write about 3 speeches at my school, to show like depth of knowledge and support your arguments better by using three related examples. but if you're doing 2 in good detail, then that ay still get u a better mark than someone doing 3 not so good. so its up to you i guess

dr3amy

i asked my tutor about that, she said its highly unlikely they did it before for the old hsc like 2002 they specified a poem but now specifiying speeches would be too hard because then they'll have to specify a frontline episode, and extract from powerplay, poem whatever (not sure which module speeches are in).

Oh and about the CSSA specifying trials papers no matter what school will never be that careful and good at following BOS we llooked at some chem papers and their sol from CSSA and independent but the answers were very dodgy and some of the questions were focused too specific to be asked to the whole state

So its hihgly unlikely but of course its best to be prepared if you still have time because no one knows

Last edited by a moderator:

angelar

Abbeygale said:
Hasn't speeches only been going since 2001? I couldn't find questions on speeches in any of the pre-2001 papers.

Since 2001, only Lincoln has been specified (in 2002). The notes from the marking centre indicate that it was done very well, and there were no problems arising from specifying. Whether that is true or not is debatable, since the notes aren't likely to say 'Whoa boy, we really screwed up on setting that question, didn't we?'

Also, keep in mind that in 2003, the CSSA papers specified Atwood. If the CSSA is willing to specify an obscure text, why wouldn't the BOS?
oh well it must've been atwood i was thinking of not mcaleese, but i dunno..apparently the CSSA papers are always harder...in trials anyway...i really dont know, i was just relaying what i had heard. lets just hope for our sake, none of this discussion matters because they dont specify...fingers crossed!!!

whendee

outrageously outrageous
HSC
i dont think Lincoln's speech will get asked again. I think they might ask to refer to an Australian speech (ie. catholic trial paper 2005)...

just study them all. there's nothing worse than not studying for it and having it turn up *^*%^%#%^$&^$

Moonlite

HSC
I really hope they don't specify a speech. That would just be cruel. I'm planning to use Atwood and Lincoln. But i'm going to look over Luther's speech too, just incase.

poodoorfan

rgewhrthrw

i really think it's very unfair and stupid if they specify a speech, that means we're meant to know 12 speeches, which woulnd't be in detail at that amount, as well as quotes and everything plus our other 2 modules with quotes and stuff and 2 related texts, all in one 2 hour exam???? can they seriously expect us to know all this and produce a decent piece of work, especially if the speech is not well known like lincoln or martin luther king.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Specifying texts (and thereby making the question harder) was fine under the old HSC system where a fixed percentage would get Band 6, 10% would be guarrenteed band 5 and so on....The question itself didnt really affect the marks.

But when making by standards. i.e you are marked against the marking gudilines, rubrics, etc etc the difficulty of the question will affect marks quite alot.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
If they specifiy a speech, does that mean they will have to specify a harwood poem or scene from lear? the cssa trial annoyed me when we had to do an australian speech and nothing else got specified.

My advice would be to know three really well, and have a genreal idea of the others: basic values and attitudes, a few techniqes and quotes

smiley100

HSC
wish i studied all of that

hey people..reading this thread it makes me go 'uh-oh! haven't studied as much as these people about speeches! eek..i'm dead.' 1 day of study left...

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
I know the Levertov speech in depth, the Lincoln and Keating speeches relatively well, and have a minimal knowledge of the rest.
Oh well.

I plan to learn Goldman and Atwood tomorrow and pray to the invisible pink unicorn that they don't specify.

MRSRUM

I've learnt 3.. King, Lincoln and Goldman.. it would be useful to read over the others in case but mainly focusing on three I think is better than spreading yourself too thin.. I seriously doubt they will specify as in the rubric they are more concerned with how they are still relevant so mainly talking about the themes.

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
If they do specify it will be either King or Keating.

According to moi. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)