Module B: Critical Study of Texts (2 Viewers)

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
LottoX said:
I liked how it was scary at first, but if you really looked at the question, it was extremely straight-forward. I really loved this question.
Hear hear. Any question with 'To what extent' in it is all right by me, because you can totally ignore what the question specifies, do your own thing and just do a little bit on the actual topic at the end. I thought this module (I did Lear) was the best of the three.

f261120

HSC
stbrob said:
THE KING LEAR QUESTION WAS SCREWD:burn: :eek: :confused: :headbang:
AYE AYE!!!!!!!!!!!

It was shocking... we studied heaps on themes, interpretations and productions and then we got that and we all just stared like stunned fish at each other. twas massively screwed.

sanjay_88

HSC
The Harwood question was ridiculous. In previous years, it went by the syllabus, but this yr...wtf? It asked for how your personal response has been shaped by Harwood's poetic interpretation or something or age and youth. AND THEN...it says at the top of the page, you will be assessed on The text's reception in a range of contexts, which has NOTHING TO DO with the question. What were we meant to do???

dasphoebus

Pastamancer
HSC
sanjay_88 said:
The Harwood question was ridiculous. In previous years, it went by the syllabus, but this yr...wtf? It asked for how your personal response has been shaped by Harwood's poetic interpretation or something or age and youth. AND THEN...it says at the top of the page, you will be assessed on The text's reception in a range of contexts, which has NOTHING TO DO with the question. What were we meant to do???
I'd suggest discussing universality, picking TWO texts to do with youth and age (Prize Giving and Father & Child works nicely for contrasting), then say how it would still work in modern context, blah blah blah, talk about maybe two more themes that do not play as highly as youth and age, then round it off with a big "fuck you" to Harwood.

As they didn't say "at least TWO texts", I'm assuming everyone picked only two?

footychic3

HSC
how crap was that cloudstreet question, i had a great prepared essay for fish and evrything but not quick plus i got stuck with the stupid hamlet question as well there goes my hopes of an 80+ uai

HSC
Haha... I had so much fun with this one. I don't know if I went really well or what, but I love Citizen Kane, so I was sweet with it.:)

adzo

HSC
I read Cloudstreet once....still unsure of what it was about

Bia

HSC
ARGH the WUTHERING HEIGHTS question was the gayest thing ive seen in my entire life!!!
sooo crap
ARGH!!! So fucking true!!!! How the fucking fuck was I supposed to apply a fucking Feminist bildunsroman reading to Heathcliff?! Goddamn Board of Studies!!!
I was alright with him and Freud.

But I couldn't think of two key episodes that did anything to support either! I just made some shit up...can't even remember. FARK!!
:bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb:

pzella

PzELLa
HSC
i kinda launched into my prapred essay about lear which was mainly about him, i talked about the pschological drama aspect and talked about lears madness, his hubris and how everyone would be alive if he had paitience... i kinda went on the themes abit.

i used three scenes - storm scene, beginning and end, they wont penalise if we use more i hope..... anway my teachers kept sayin hanging teh question its the rubric u worry about

i was happy no speech or article.... thank gooodness a boring predictable paper.... no different format !!!

Gecko888

Gecko88
HSC
Father and Child was a good idea, but 'Alter Ego'? I hope my linking was watertight there.

dasphoebus

Pastamancer
HSC
Gecko888 said:
Father and Child was a good idea, but 'Alter Ego'? I hope my linking was watertight there.
'Alter Ego'? Oh dude, I don't see how you related that to age and youth. Good luck though.

ryan2k6

HSC
footychic i feel ur pain....i got stuck with the cloudstreet and hamlet one too. i mean wat the fuck sort of questions were they...QUICK?? WTF i have two perfect prepared answers for both hamlet and cloudstreet and they ask those questions..and english is my top subject and there goes english down the drain..i wrote my prepared essays anyway fuck it :)

binkys

HSC
well that was a morning and a half

Reading time passed and the Hamlet question went down nicely until i turned the page and read the Wuthering Heights question and wanted to die in my seat!!!

Heathcliff why couldnt they have chosen Catherine but still our teacher is greta and we had some foresight into this occuring and had discussed two scenes in this way.

2/3 essays im proud of but Wuthering heights has ruined a good day

binkys

HSC
well that was a morning and a half

Reading time passed and the Hamlet question went down nicely until i turned the page and read the Wuthering Heights question and wanted to die in my seat!!!

Heathcliff why couldnt they have chosen Catherine but still our teacher is great and we had some foresight into this occuring and had discussed two scenes in this way.

2/3 essays im proud of but Wuthering heights has ruined a good day

summer25

HSC
help!!!
for all those doing king lear did personal response mean personal interpretation
or simply our response to the play as a text eg do we think it has textual integrity???
were we menat to talk about our interpretaion ONLY or also contrast it with another reading???????

summer25

HSC
help!!!
for all those doing king lear did personal response mean personal interpretation
or simply our response to the play as a text eg do we think it has textual integrity???
were we menat to talk about our interpretaion ONLY or also contrast it with another reading???????

summer25

HSC
help!!!

cjcampo

HSC
yeah i feel your pain. The question was ambiguous and yes i did the same thing as you did. The book studied is called 'King Lear' not ' The tragedy of King Lear, the BOS are wrong in this instance. I just hope for our sake that the question is open to interpretation with regards to an ambiguous question. 'Chances' - excuse me as i go hang myself :)

lindataylor

HSC
SuNrIsE_oVa_sEa said:
IM SO HAPPY THEY DIDNT STIPULATE A SPEECH!!! :)
i was so happy too!
i was freaking out about having to try and remember 9 other speeches in great detail "just in case"
but then i heard from another school their teacher told them they weren't going to stipulate so i came up with two options:
1. my teacher is an idiot stressing us for an entire year with the thought of having 12 speeches in our head
2. their teacher is an idiot for not teaching them properly

my conclusion:
both teachers are idiot's cos we don't know what the BOS will throw at us, hence the stupid questions in both eng adv. papers but that my teacher is still more stupid cos she picked the damn topic!

but i was kinda annoyed it only asked for 2 cos it meant to had to pull some random quotes from the air (made some up lol) and talk about them as if they had so much meaning!
oh well, ITS OVER!

YAY

1qaz2wsxokm

HSC
heyyy!! Did anyone do the Yeats question??? It was abt Youth and Age !! What did you right about???? Which poems did you talk about?! i used 2nd coming but it doesnt relate to much with age/youth but its a poem like The Siege in Frontline every1 uses it!!! =S!
newayz how did YEATS ppl go?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)