Module A-Crime Writing Elective 2 (1 Viewer)

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Write an essay in which you explore the interplay of the traditional and the innovative in Crime Writing.

Ok so what did you all discuss? I used Rear Window and The Real Inspector Hound and talked about how they subvert not only the detectives nature as the hard boiled misogynist etc but also the plot structure of the traditional crime text. Then went on explaining how justice isn't necessarily achieved etc.

I'm guessing everyone's essay revolved around subversion?

Shortii Tania

im not short, im fun size
HSC
yep, i wrote about subverting the traditional elements of crime writing and challenging them etc. used the texts the skull beneath the skin and the rear window. its like the changing values of crime writing or the evolving nature of cime fiction...somthing like that...but i focused on subverting the conventions.

Allisonius

HSC
I essentially went on to talk about how "In crime writing the innovative becomes the tradition", I discussed the ideas of "goldenage" and "hard-boiled" crime fiction and how the ideas portrayed in the texts and the ways of constructing them were innovative in their contexts, but as time went on these innovations became traditional.
I reffered to Agatha Cristie's The Mousetrap and P.D. James' The Skull Beneath the Skin when talking about goldenage, and Raymond Chandler's the Big Sleep and Alfred Hitchcock's Rear window in talking about hardboiled.
I think my response was pretty good, simple take on the question though.

jessica.anne

HSC
N/A
I used TSBTS and Rear Window plus 5 related texts and references to "traditional" authors, e.g. Christie, Poe and Conan Doyle. Subversion was only a small part of mine.

I wrote about traditional conventions of the texts and then how this is added to by the use of innovative techniques/styles (either how the author wrote it or how the character solves crime) and evolution of crime writing from traditional closed settings to hard-boiled and modern day stuff like serial killers, as well as evolution of detective characters.

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
i talked bout CSI how they use innovations like science to beat people and solve crime
i used about 6 or so episodes of that (which ranged from CSI: the who are u theme one to CSI: the yyyeahhhh theme one)

not much on prescribe text but who cares english is overrrrrrr owowoooooooo

sunsettah

HSC
I used.. Rear Window and The Skull Beneath the Skin. With Murder's in the Rue Morgue, by Poe, and Disturbia as my related texts.

Talked about how Rear Window is a combination of sub-genres. Cosy school coz its filmed all in the apartment, hard boiled coz Thorwald's in his dark sleazy apartnment, walkin at night in the rain, with the cigarette etc.

Um I said how Disturbia is a modern interpretation of Rear Window.

How Murders in the Rue Morgue was the first crime fiction, and it itself differed from a normal crime by having an ape as the killer.

.. also.. that TSBTS subverts cosy school coz its accessible by boat and the police arrive, and also that the killer is revealed in the 3rd quarter of the novel, not at the end.

it took up the whole booklet, but i write pretty big.

how does it sound?

boganxcore

HSC
that was possibly the best essay question i could have got.

talked about how the traditional Grand Metanarrative interplays with the innovative Postmodernism, and how texts explore the ethics of murder and the validity of justice with respect to the differing ideologies.

'skull beneath the skin' explores elements of both the traditional (murder is unethical) and innovative (situational ethics - cordelia chooses to conceal information and even considers justifying clarissa's murder).

'the real inspector hound' rejects the traditional in favour of Absurdism. Stoppard attempts to destroy the audience's notions of the Grand Metanarrative by using farce and exaggeration to present the idea that logic and rationality cannot exist in an absurd universe, whilst logic and rationality are the principle ideals used in Crime Writing.

did similar for 'Rear Window', 'The Big Sleep' and 'Foyle's War'.

wrote a bit under 11 pages, think that i'll get 20+ hopefully.

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
I used.. Rear Window and The Skull Beneath the Skin. With Murder's in the Rue Morgue, by Poe, and Disturbia as my related texts.
Talked about how Rear Window is a combination of sub-genres. Cosy school coz its filmed all in the apartment, hard boiled coz Thorwald's in his dark sleazy apartnment, walkin at night in the rain, with the cigarette etc.
Um I said how Disturbia is a modern interpretation of Rear Window.
How Murders in the Rue Morgue was the first crime fiction, and it itself differed from a normal crime by having an ape as the killer.
.. also.. that TSBTS subverts cosy school coz its accessible by boat and the police arrive, and also that the killer is revealed in the 3rd quarter of the novel, not at the end.
it took up the whole booklet, but i write pretty big.
how does it sound?
yer should be fine as long as you said that rear window subverted the convention of the ape as a murderer

and so did disturbia

Katherwin

HSC
I did Skull and Rear Window.

My related texts were a video game and a Doctor Who episode. They are innovative because they are a video game and a Doctor Who episode. :D

Sunsettah- Looks good to me, I more or less talked about Skull and Rear in the same way, so hopefully it goes down well with the markers.

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
that was possibly the best essay question i could have got.

talked about how the traditional Grand Metanarrative interplays with the innovative Postmodernism, and how texts explore the ethics of murder and the validity of justice with respect to the differing ideologies.

'the real inspector hound' rejects the traditional in favour of Absurdism. Stoppard attempts to destroy the audience's notions of the Grand Metanarrative by using farce and exaggeration to present the idea that logic and rationality cannot exist in an absurd universe, whilst logic and rationality are the principle ideals used in Crime Writing.
lol its either metanarratives or grand-narratives not both.

boganxcore

HSC
lol its either metanarratives or grand-narratives not both.
for real? ah well fuck it thats what my teacher taught me, im not going to lose marks for it. well if i ever have to write that again i'll know what to write! haha cool bro.

ps. nietzsche is mah boi nice dp

Liyo

HSC
Ok so what did you all discuss? I used Rear Window and The Real Inspector Hound and talked about how they subvert not only the detectives nature as the hard boiled misogynist etc but also the plot structure of the traditional crime text. Then went on explaining how justice isn't necessarily achieved etc.

I'm guessing everyone's essay revolved around subversion?
yeap, that's what i did.
I used the same prescribed texts too , haha =P

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
for real? ah well fuck it thats what my teacher taught me, im not going to lose marks for it. well if i ever have to write that again i'll know what to write! haha cool bro.

ps. nietzsche is mah boi nice dp
dw bout it if thats what your teach said then other markers won't notice

thanks for the appreciation

HMF

Señor CAFS Dude
HSC
I talked about the representation of the Femme Fatale and gender roles within my texts as well as the balance between the metamorphosis of the genre and the traditional. I also talked about defenestration and context and jazz.

posey-rose

The lost member
HSC
i talked about its because composers subvert the traditional conventions that has allowed the genre to survive.

i talked about the death of the closed setting using agatha christie's the body in the library and contrasting that to anil's ghost and keeping the dead

i also talked about the change of the traditional role of women and the police in crime writing. i used reference to rear window saying it was the turning point of the police changing from the "bumbling fools" but were still constrained by the law. so they still depended on the amateur detective but in the end the police save jeff. women, stella is given rational thought (a key component needed to solve a crime) and both her and lisa have jobs.

the most enjoyable of all my hsc exams.

six demon bag

HSC
I wrote about how hitchcock subverts the genre through exploration of relationships/marriage/sexuality. and hitchcocks "artistic intentions", filming techniques creating suspense!
this question was s easy with hound. Can't be bothered to write.
The Big Sleep and Lamb to the Slaughter were my related texts. Again auper easy to apply question. cant be bothered.

Imma go study CAFS.

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
I also talked about defenestration and context and jazz.
yer i agree, you needed to discuss how composers embrace the innovative so as to subvert the traditional defenstration of the detective

_kiki

HSC
N/A
I really liked the question :)

I used Skully and the Real Inspector Hound + Pulp Fiction and the Life and Crimes of Harry Lavender. A real mix of the genre which fit the question really well.

I talked about the manipulation, subversion, extention and complete eradication of conventions.

Actually, the essay i prepared worked well with the question haha. God love the year spent preparing this. I wrote 20 pages, which is double what i wrote in trials.

six demon bag

HSC
I really liked the question :)

I used Skully and the Real Inspector Hound + Pulp Fiction and the Life and Crimes of Harry Lavender. A real mix of the genre which fit the question really well.

I talked about the manipulation, subversion, extention and complete eradication of conventions.

Actually, the essay i prepared worked well with the question haha. God love the year spent preparing this. I wrote 20 pages, which is double what i wrote in trials.
That's cool you used P.F - I wouldn't have even thought of it! I'm a little disappointed I didn't watch Hot Fuzz until after exam - I would've loved to use it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)