Modern History or Society and Culture or Biology? (1 Viewer)

tryhard1232

HSC
A friend mine wants to switch from DNT to Modern History because he absolutely hates it. The Modern class is full so he was offered me $70 to switch to SAC or Biology (they're in the same line).

Money isn't the issue here & definitely isn't the major deciding factor. So i'm wondering what are some of the incentives you see from each subject (type of content, scaling, etc.)? I don't plan to spend much time on this subject line as I am focusing more of my time on the Maths & science based subjects and if I do 4u maths, i would drop this line.

Just incase you're wondering, my subjects are:

English Advanced
Mathematics + Extension 1
Chemistry
Physics
Modern History
SOR 1

thanks in advance :)

Hopp

HSC
I understand the reasons for moving courses, but make sure you don't feel pressured into changing subjects.
However, if you do choose to, there are much more pros and advantages in doing Biology over SAC. I did both the SAC and Biology course in the preliminary year and enjoyed/learned more info in Biology for sure.

The SAC course I found really dry, dull and just plain irrelevant to a student in respect to a subject. Unless you aspire to be a psychologist (of which like 50% of students nowadays do lol), then SAC will not benefit you greatly at all. I hated the course for the entire preliminary year (dropped it in Year 12), the subject scales horribly and incorporates a lot of work.

On the other hand, Biology was a fairly fun and interesting topic, also much more relevant to people. Also if you are doing Chem and Physics, then Biology should also interest you (if your brain works well with science).

Obviously in the end it's whatever you prefer, I do admit that SAC is more enjoyable if you have friends that do it too, as it is very conversational topic.

shortnsweet

HSC
I do both biology and society, and I am enjoying biology a lot more. For society you need to do a major project as well. Generally, society is pretty easy to get high marks in, but as Hopp mentioned, it's really dull and boring (well unless you're interested in culture and stuff).

While biology is more enjoyable, it does have a lot more content than society.

hecticated

HSC
I'm assuming you're in year 11?

I'm biased and I don't like history. You seem to have a brain like me, I recommend Biology. (I did Physics, Chemistry and Biology for prelim).
I only chose biology because I didn't want to do any other subject on that particular line and I assumed I would drop it in year 12. I am in year 12 now and I am still doing biology and I absolutely love it! :) I ended up dropping physics because I knew I was picking up extension 2 maths and it was my lowest rank. I'm also planning to drop IPT now. From what I hear, SAC is a stressful subject and I don't recommend it if you don't want to do a major work, it seems like a lot of work. Of course, every subject requires work but I don't know, you seem like a person who would prefer doing the science subjects!

Message me if you want any help!
Good Luck.

yao_jahang

HSC
should i do society and culture of pdhpe? ive always wnated to be a psychologist and my teacher said sac wold be better. However when i looked at the hsc past paper, pdhpe seemed more fun than sac. let me know if yu guys have any advice?

Leadmen4y

HSC
should i do society and culture of pdhpe? ive always wnated to be a psychologist and my teacher said sac wold be better. However when i looked at the hsc past paper, pdhpe seemed more fun than sac. let me know if yu guys have any advice?
Did you like junior PE? The theory part ONLY.

There's A LOT of content, you need to be good at memorising. You also benefit from having a sport background (core 2, sports medicine and improving performance all have a strong focus on sport). You also must be able to write concise and clearly with good cohesion (but no flowery "English" style needed lmao), have GOOD examples to back up your points (this is extremely important, like I mean it).

I currently do PE and am doing fairly well but I would've done something else over it tbh (I came 1st in my prelim cohort so I thought it would've been dumb to drop it oh well), the content is nowhere as interesting as sciences and there's just sooo much stuff you need to know. I would mention it has some overlaps here and there with bio.

But if you find it fun go for it, you might like it if you're into the health and sport side of "science" rather than actual science. Scaling is also good if you do well, 99.95s come out of PE every year, pretty sure it scales better than SAC (not 100 percent sure).

yao_jahang

HSC
chem
bio
ancient history
3u maths
2u english
i am picking between pdhpe and sac

yao_jahang

HSC
which one would be more benefiical to me based on the line of subjects I am doing?

Leadmen4y

HSC
which one would be more benefiical to me based on the line of subjects I am doing?
if you're doing bio, I think 100 percent pdhpe. I think the two is a good combo, core 1 hsc for pe links so much to module 8 of bio where there's a topic on epidemiology. Also in hsc bio there two modules on diseases (infectious and non-infectious) so you can always use them in your pe core 1 responses.

I would also suggest asking your teachers or others who've done SAC just to get a holistic perspective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)