modern example of natural selection?? (1 Viewer)

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
we did a case about the population of different variations of peppered moth in the Industrial Area in England. There are two main variations of peppered moths - white and black.. the black peppered moths was rare before the industrial revolution. However, the since the industrial revolution the population of white peppered moth decreased and the population of black peppered moth increased significantly.

This is due to pollution produced by factories... etc, which darkens their surroundings, the colour of white peppered moths before more contrasted with the envirioinment and this makes them easier prays for other animals such as birds. Meanwhile, the black coating of black peppered moths now helps them to blend into the surrounding, which favours their survival.

lol.. this is not so "natural" afterall ;)

Hope that helps ;) good luck!

found this for ya:
http://www.angelfire.com/nj3/mrschen/kettlewell.htm

Last edited:

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
natural selection:

-development of antibiotic resistance in bactera- btw u can use this example in many other places too like genetics... :p

s2ophie

HSC
yeah we did th peppered moths as well as antibiotic resistance and insecticide resistance. are you referring to the bit that says 'natural' in inverted commas? if so, i'd say my last two examples.

trinity

oh isnt it also rabbits with myxomatosis and the calici virus? how they kept getting resistant to it?

Azn fairies

Originally posted by s2ophie
yeah we did th peppered moths as well as antibiotic resistance and insecticide resistance. are you referring to the bit that says 'natural' in inverted commas? if so, i'd say my last two examples.

the moth example is not modern is it?..i though mayeb the spraying of pestacides

*hopeful*

HSC
we used mosquitoes and DDT, its pretty simple 2 learn but so is d peppered moths 1 as well and d others :)

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
lol did you see the dates of the posts? sorry but you're 7 years late.

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
YEAH. Times have changed. The black moths are a LIE. Since 2003, evolution ha been proved incorret NUMEROUS TIMES:spzz:

Carmen909

HSC
We did flies with flyspray eg Mortein and Pea Beau .:uhhuh:

fullonoob

fail engrish? unpossible!
HSC
there is a good explanation of natural selection (for peppered moth) in the bio dot point book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)