Moderators and Control Rods (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Are there differences between the two in terms of their purpose in the fission reactor? To me it seems as though they both are there to control the speed of the fission reaction...or is there much more to it???

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
kat_in_a_hat88 said:
Are there differences between the two in terms of their purpose in the fission reactor? To me it seems as though they both are there to control the speed of the fission reaction...or is there much more to it???
The control rods absorb the nuetrons which keeps the reaction rate relatively constant (rather than letting it grow exponentially). They create a situation where roughly one neutron per fission goes on to split another atom.

Moderators slow down the neutrons. Fast neutrons are more inclined to bounce/deflect off of the surface of a nucleus so slower neutrons actually lead to a greater number of succesful fissions i.e. moderators don't slow the reaction down, they just help it to take place.

serge

HSC
i think you can have the moderator and the fuel in the same rod

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
serge said:
is it true that the moderator and the fuel can be in the same rod?
Well the moderator nuclei are small ones which slow the neutrons down and don't absorb them. Theoretically, I suppose you could find a material compound which contained a fissionable isotope and an element which could provide moderator nuclei, however, I've never heard of such a combination myself. Heavy water (where deuterium replaces the hydrogen) and graphite are commonly used moderator substances I've heard of (which do not consist of fissionable material).

serge

HSC
KFunk said:
Well the moderator nuclei are small ones which slow the neutrons down and don't absorb them. Theoretically, I suppose you could find a material compound which contained a fissionable isotope and an element which could provide moderator nuclei, however, I've never heard of such a combination myself. Heavy water (where deuterium replaces the hydrogen) and graphite are commonly used moderator substances I've heard of (which do not consist of fissionable material).
yeh, i didnt mean that they're the same compound
but like that you keep the fuel in or around the moderator?

Because if you want the already slow neutron to be absorbed
you should probably have it close to the remaining uranium
or plutonium right?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)