Moderation!! Help (1 Viewer)

nara3067

HSC
Umm so I am still confused about how moderation works.
So for example I am coming 45/61 (INTERNAL) in ADV english.
In the HSC , I do well and come like 20/61. Does this mean that my
final HSC mark will be still lower than those who had higher rank than me in the internal after moderation?? Is there any possibility that I might do better than those who are in top 25 (INTERNAL) in the end?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Your Final HSC mark will depend mostly on how well you go in the HSC itself - meaning the actual mark you get in it. But, whether you'll end up with a higher overall HSC mark than the top 25 depends on your school rank (more specifically, cohort strength), how far you are from 1st place internally and how well you go in the HSC itself.

I think the possibility of you getting a final HSC mark higher than the top 25 is around... 0.5%.

themanman

HSC
N/A
Your Final HSC mark will depend mostly on how well you go in the HSC itself - meaning the actual mark you get in it. But, whether you'll end up with a higher overall HSC mark than the top 25 depends on your school rank (more specifically, cohort strength), how far you are from 1st place internally and how well you go in the HSC itself.

I think the possibility of you getting a final HSC mark higher than the top 25 is around... 0.5%.
no. it is a LOT higher than 0.5%

schools have very poor judgement in ranking students (from my experiences) and the students right at the top of our school will get low 90s to high 80s in the hsc and the kids around 5th place (who played by the rules fairly) will be the ones topping the hsc

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
no. it is a LOT higher than 0.5%

schools have very poor judgement in ranking students (from my experiences) and the students right at the top of our school will get low 90s to high 80s in the hsc and the kids around 5th place (who played by the rules fairly) will be the ones topping the hsc
m8 it doesnt matter if schools have questionable ways of ranking students because whether it's fair or not - the OP's moderated school mark is going to be crap, and unless the OP goes to like a top 20 or so school - their moderated mark is gonna be pretty low, and it's gonna drag them down, and it's not gonna give him or her a better HSC mark than the top 25 in his/her cohort.

themanman

HSC
N/A
m8 it doesnt matter if schools have questionable ways of ranking students because whether it's fair or not - the OP's moderated school mark is going to be crap, and unless the OP goes to like a top 20 or so school - their moderated mark is gonna be pretty low, and it's gonna drag them down, and it's not gonna give him or her a better HSC mark than the top 25 in his/her cohort.
no but you assume that, by his ranking, he will get marks that equate to that which is completely false.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yes, but let's be serious and not overcount the possibility of an eccentric result. If you're coming near last through assessment after assessment for an entire year and then expect to somehow ace the HSC exam - you're kidding yourself. Admittedly, that doesn't answer the OP's question.

If the OP somehow managed to do it - I still don't think it'd go well due to the process of moderation which will drag down his/her moderated school mark. That's how the system works. So nine times out of ten unless this person goes to a super school, they aren't gonna get an HSC mark higher than the top 25, the vast majority of times - period.

hscishard

HSC
I know you're eager to try and have some way to estimate your mark (I am too,who isn't) but thinking about this is a waste of time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)