MOD 6 HELP (1 Viewer)

Vivienne.W

HSC
N/A
Hi guys, so I missed out on the module 6 in class, and I am struggling to get started with knowing and memorising the content. I am doing some reading now and I am confused as to how much genetic technologies we need to know.. I am so lost - do I need to learn all of these in depth ? Like will they ask in the HSC to talk about a specific technology or can I learn a couple well and use them as "case studies" or examples?

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Hi guys, so I missed out on the module 6 in class, and I am struggling to get started with knowing and memorising the content. I am doing some reading now and I am confused as to how much genetic technologies we need to know.. I am so lost - do I need to learn all of these in depth ? Like will they ask in the HSC to talk about a specific technology or can I learn a couple well and use them as "case studies" or examples?
Go look through some threads on the bio forum it might help

Mod 6 is basically all about biotechnologies imo

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
so in the genetic tech section of the syllabus, you need to know exactly how artificial insemination and artificial pollination works enough so you can also compare their processes and outcomes, know the processes of the different types of cloning (whole organism + gene), know the process of recombinant DNA technology. these are all used in fields of medicine/agriculture/industry and the rest of the section is looking at their benefits, usefulness and impact on society. not only can they can ask about specific technologies and ask you to explain them, how they work or their impact on agriculture or something. they can also ask you to evaluate their benefits in society or any ethical uses. you need to know a decent real-life examples in depth - i recommend knowing the most known and used ones like crispr/cas9 (genetic engineering), golden rice (transgenic species), etc so then you can know in-depth their effect on biodiversity and benefits and ethical uses.

in the biotechnologies section it's just generalised stuff, as long as you know your examples to integrate when answering qs you should be fine

TankKuno

HSC
it may be a bit immoral and unethical, but u can look at the notes under the resources tab and just use them

Vivienne.W

HSC
N/A
so in the genetic tech section of the syllabus, you need to know exactly how artificial insemination and artificial pollination works enough so you can also compare their processes and outcomes, know the processes of the different types of cloning (whole organism + gene), know the process of recombinant DNA technology. these are all used in fields of medicine/agriculture/industry and the rest of the section is looking at their benefits, usefulness and impact on society. not only can they can ask about specific technologies and ask you to explain them, how they work or their impact on agriculture or something. they can also ask you to evaluate their benefits in society or any ethical uses. you need to know a decent real-life examples in depth - i recommend knowing the most known and used ones like crispr/cas9 (genetic engineering), golden rice (transgenic species), etc so then you can know in-depth their effect on biodiversity and benefits and ethical uses.

in the biotechnologies section it's just generalised stuff, as long as you know your examples to integrate when answering qs you should be fine
Thank you sm!

I am also looking briefly at the textbook and there is a lot of stuff on gene therapy and sequencing and stuff.. how in depth do i need to go for these? And is it a good start to just look at the ones you have mentioned?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Thank you sm!

I am also looking briefly at the textbook and there is a lot of stuff on gene therapy and sequencing and stuff.. how in depth do i need to go for these? And is it a good start to just look at the ones you have mentioned?
i honestly don't remember what textbook you're talking about but i don't think so? i'll check my notes tomorrow to see but i don't remember any of that unless the sequencing and gene therapy is listed as an example of a genetic technology and you want to use it as an example

i think it's good to look at the syllabus too, and start with the ones i mentioned mainly cos those are the most well-known ones. crispr/cas9 isn't specifically mentioned as an example tho there was a multiple choice q on it in 2019 hsc

Vivienne.W

HSC
N/A
i honestly don't remember what textbook you're talking about but i don't think so? i'll check my notes tomorrow to see but i don't remember any of that unless the sequencing and gene therapy is listed as an example of a genetic technology and you want to use it as an example

i think it's good to look at the syllabus too, and start with the ones i mentioned mainly cos those are the most well-known ones. crispr/cas9 isn't specifically mentioned as an example tho there was a multiple choice q on it in 2019 hsc
i was reading the in focus textbook - tbh tho i only brought it up bc there is like a million topics and its just overwhelming 😭 😭 I might take a look at the syllabus like you said and start there. ty again :))

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)