mobility of beliefs (1 Viewer)

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
do you think you would ever seriously consider converting to a different faith? whether that is to a different religion, becoming non religious, or becoming religious if you are already non religious.

would this come from a convincing argument, a personal experience leading you to a conclusion one way or another, your personal decision in regards to both sides of arguments, or something else?

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
yeah thats true. when people come to a debate like the ones on here, both sides are in the most part very strongly content with their side and even if they are completely ripped in the argument, do not really consider that they could actually be wrong.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
true i guess. if a muslim person came up and started telling me what they believe etc trying to get me to think about becoming muslim, i would listen politely but i doubt i would be able to shake the thought of 'stop talking now thats a load of crap' or something similar.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
I was raised semi-lax Catholic, became more devout than my family for a few years, then started wondering why that was, then realised it's all crock of shit and they just bung it on half-heartedly because it makes them feel safe and secure not having to ask the difficult questions.

I became agnostic when I was 10 and atheist when I was 12.

So, yeah.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
hm yeah. i was raised anglican, more or less went along with it till high school, when i was like 'pfft as if god could exist'.

during that time i was never really convinced by arguments for God's existence commonly used.

i also hated lots of the 'convenient' qualities of the Bible.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I might give Jewitchery a go, but atheism is easier (less time commitment?).

rasengan90

HSC
I think I am one of those people who can't quite grasp the concept of God. I have no problem with people who believe, as long as their faith does not effect other people. Might consider changing faiths if for example Ahura Mazda set my house on fire and told me to bow before him. It would have to be pretty clear and direct, not abstract ideas.

georgefren

HSC
Agree. I'd find it hard to switch from logic as the basis of my belief to faith-based belief unless there was damn good proof.

Gerald10

HSC
Philosophically speaking im an agnostic but for all practical purposes im atheist. Hence Im open to the possibility of the existence of "God".

ademayd

HSC
I disagree, I think choosing a religous pathway is easier than being aetheist. According to all religions eventually the 'believer'(of whatever religion) will go to heaven.
But with being an aetheist: if you are right okay nothing changes BUT if you are wrong YOU ARE SCREWED for an eternal lifetime in hell, just try putting your hand on top of naked fire to see what that means !!!

lol so do your research and work those probability skills for maximum a week, then we get wasted after we find the/a path.

HSC
Would I ever change from atheism? Probably not, although I'd like to think that I'm humble enough to change my mind about things when evidence/argument points to an alternative.

HSC
ademayd said:
I disagree, I think choosing a religous pathway is easier than being aetheist. According to all religions eventually the 'believer'(of whatever religion) will go to heaven.
But with being an aetheist: if you are right okay nothing changes BUT if you are wrong YOU ARE SCREWED for an eternal lifetime in hell, just try putting your hand on top of naked fire to see what that means !!!

lol so do your research and work those probability skills for maximum a week, then we get wasted after we find the/a path.
Inarticulate advocate of philosophically flawed Pascal's Wager #351

rasengan90

HSC
ademayd said:

Ummm... Pretty sure that is not true. For example the majority of Christians (not all, it differs from denomination) believe that the only ticket into heaven is accepting Jesus into your heart. Therefore at that point whether you are Buddhist, Jew or Athiest, non-Christans are going to burn in hell.

ademayd

HSC
rasengan90 said:
Ummm... Pretty sure that is not true. For example the majority of Christians (not all, it differs from denomination) believe that the only ticket into heaven is accepting Jesus into your heart. Therefore at that point whether you are Buddhist, Jew or Athiest, non-Christans are going to burn in hell.
No you misunderstood me. What I meant was if they believe in the pathway they choose according to that religion they will enter heaven. Otherwise I would not have written the last line, i would have instead written choose any random belief.

And btw from what I know Moslims also believe in Jesus in heart, but they believe that he is a messenger of god or something. According to your mentality, from a christians view moslems also enter heaven. :confused:

ademayd

HSC
Silver Persian said:
Inarticulate advocate of philosophically flawed Pascal's Wager #351
Its ironic that it was infact that part of aetheism that made me quit aetheism. Well and the fact that I realised I had nothing to lose if I quit. Plus the reasons for the existence of God are at least as valid as the ones against. However like Einstein I'm not that into the mystical side of it all, I just think that there must be a Creator as the world is just too good to be a random coincidence that exploded into position.

Though I will like to hear your or other aetheists perspective on my viewor their own view.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Even though it would feel slightly intellectually dishonest, I've been seriously considering converting to a certain religion that preaches hard work, waking early for morning prayer and then keeping your day occupied.

I think I'd get a fuckload more done, you get to join a tight social community etc, and my life would probably be better all round if I joined a strict religion.

I need that sort of madness in my life to motivate myself.

The only downside is giving up intoxicants...

I could easily practice some serious doublethink to make me actually believe anything.

bigb0yjames

HSC
i would say i was very religious up until uni started. all my life my parents teached me Arabic and its always been a foreign language to me which i can fluently read. however, i have no clue what im reading. im more of a parrot than anything else.. ive learnt allot of quranic passages off by heart than what is usually required...i think its much harder if Arabic is an alien language to you.

what i really dont understand is the fact that my family isnt even religious. maybe because my parents were first generation immigrants they wanted to cling onto something...i dont know...never really asked them.

i'd say i do follow by a religious code like not to eat pork, not to drink etc etc but as i avoid doing this its more because ive just become used to not indulging in such activities...not because of my religion. however, i do wish to become religious again ...in the spiritual sense.

would i ever convert to another faith. no. Atheism is enticing...however, being a Muslim has to a certain extent become my identity.

Last edited:
HSC
Graney said:
Even though it would feel slightly intellectually dishonest, I've been seriously considering converting to a certain religion that preaches hard work, waking early for morning prayer and then keeping your day occupied.

I think I'd get a fuckload more done, you get to join a tight social community etc, and my life would probably be better all round if I joined a strict religion.

I need that sort of madness in my life to motivate myself.

The only downside is giving up intoxicants...

I could easily practice some serious doublethink to make me actually believe anything.
People who are religious report higher than average happiness levels - but I'm not sure if this would work if you were trying to trick yourself into believing for the sake of subjective well-being.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)