Mobile fones from Korea/Japan (1 Viewer)

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
hi
i was wondering if anyone could tell me whether i could use mobile phones from korea or japan? i have my own sim card (optus) but if i buy a phone from asia, would it work in australia? or would they have simcard locking?

bubble_tea

some phones work.. all of my cousin's phones are bought overseas and she uses the sim cards here.. you gotta check with the person whom you're buyin it from..

bubble_tea

=p np..
phones they sell here suck anyway.. cept for the sony ericsson z600! =D

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
hmm...i wanna get a cheap phone in china and bring it here. Suggestions?

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
for fones from china, do you have anyone who will go there, or lives there?
you could ask them. that's what i'm doing coz my dad's gone to korea for a week.
otherwise you could always go look at ebay and see what they have.
mmm ebay, it has served me well :p

bubble_tea

woo korea's got nice phones.. better make sure they can display english too.. >.<
yeah.. i luv my z600 =] its the best phone! tho i think it doesn't get enough memory space.. its so easy to customise!

bubble_tea

haha.. i would think so..
Their exports are the best things they make in china.. I mean, they don't even have salt shakers in restaurants! u have to ask for salt, and then they give u a whole bowl full of it!

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
that's what you get for going to crappy shanghainese restaurants ;) and i usually try to get my electronic gear in japan or aus

bubble_tea

Jago said:
that's what you get for going to crappy shanghainese restaurants ;)
they didn't give u salt shakers in beijing, suzhou or hanzhou either!

since they're the most updated and populated cities in china, I'm assuming the rest of china has to suffer as well.. =[

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
maybe they thought you were jap and since china and jap have been fighting for ever now. that's what you get for blonde hair!! *shakes fist*

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Crikket said:
hi
i was wondering if anyone could tell me whether i could use mobile phones from korea or japan? i have my own sim card (optus) but if i buy a phone from asia, would it work in australia? or would they have simcard locking?
make sure they are GSM phones.

i dun think CDMA phones will work, because CDMA providers in Korea/Japan are different from those in Australia (Telstra CDMA, Orange etc).

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
mz_bubbletea said:
dun buy electronic from china!!
and if you do, buy them in hk.. =P
how ignorance prevails! seriously, go to any electronic store IN AUSTRALIA and have a look at the place of manufacture of the products. i assure you 80+% will be Made in China. but trust me, it's not a bad thing, because a lot of western companies are investing in China and making goods using western technology with chinese labour (which is obviously cheaper than if they made it elsewhere) - take for example most mobile phones, every single ATI 9x00 graphics card, most Sony/Panasonic/Sharp TVs and VCRs.

on the same note, i bought my Siemens SL55 from Guangzhou, China, for about 60% of the price i would have gotten it in Australia. i managed to claim warranty service in Australia, because i argued that if the products were all made in the same place (the SL55's casing, circuitry and LCD are Made in China, the core radio chip is from Germany), it does not matter where i purchased it from (i won in the end :)).

bubble_tea

Frigid said:
how ignorance prevails! seriously, go to any electronic store IN AUSTRALIA and have a look at the place of manufacture of the products. i assure you 80+% will be Made in China.
Ahem.. I did say their exports are the best things they manufacture..

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Merforga said:
Does the phrase "Mad in China" and connotation associated with it mean anything? ^^
chinese people are crazy?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)