Mistake in Final Report (1 Viewer)

FromDeeEast

HSC
My rank for SDD is 3rd, on my final report it says i am 6th.. i cant contact my teacher as he's on holidays, and the school closed atm. what do i do?

i am afraid they sent off to the bos my wrong rank...

and yes i am 100% sure that i am ranked 3rd for std because there is a large margin between 3rd and 4th, and the difference between top 3 is about 4 marks

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What is more important is what mark they sent through to the Board of Studies. The schools actually send through marks not ranks and those marks determine the ranks.

As you aren't legally supposed to be told your ranks at this stage according to the Rules and Procedures of the HSC 2007 (but many schools do give this info out early) the time to officially do anything about this is AFTER the final HSC exam when you can access your ranks on the official BOS website. In the Rules and Procedures booklet on p. 16 they spell out what you can do in an appeals situation.

First off, when school reopens find out what they based the ranks on for the reports. e.g. at my school the students haven't been given their final ranks in any course as that is school policy following BOS regulations. On the final reports the ranks are based soley on the Trial Exam marks and they are very different to the final ranks in many courses.

Don't worry yourself about it yet as the system is there to help you get it fixed if there is a problem.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
oh i was under the impression that the school couldn't give out your final mark? cos they wouldn't give us our mark but they gave us our ranks.
anyway something similar happend with me, i was told that i was 6th in adv english and then in my report it said 7th, when i asked why i was told that before, the teacher had simply rounded everyone up but apparently you're not supposed to do that, so the margin in the top 10 is literally 0.5 between ranks. how much does that suck.
and yes on the student site thing that they sent us a letter about yonks ago, there's a page on there to view your SC and prelim stuff and it says that if you take issue with your final ranks for yr 12 let them know by end of november or something along those lines.

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
ahen said:
oh i was under the impression that the school couldn't give out your final mark? cos they wouldn't give us our mark but they gave us our ranks.
anyway something similar happend with me, i was told that i was 6th in adv english and then in my report it said 7th, when i asked why i was told that before, the teacher had simply rounded everyone up but apparently you're not supposed to do that, so the margin in the top 10 is literally 0.5 between ranks. how much does that suck.
and yes on the student site thing that they sent us a letter about yonks ago, there's a page on there to view your SC and prelim stuff and it says that if you take issue with your final ranks for yr 12 let them know by end of november or something along those lines.
thats what i thought.

i thought they gave ranks and not marks O__O

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
ahen said:
Don't worry, I missed out on coming first in legal studies by 1 percent overall, and missed out on coming third in chemistry by less than 1 percent overall. Trust me there is nothing worse than finding out you could have gotten a better ranking if you only got a few extra marks here and there. :mad1:

Just a question. Will the BOS consider this difference when they scale or moderate or whatever process it is?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You are NEVER supposed to get your RAW assessment marks. Remember that the marks that you figure out that you got isn't always the mark that the school sent in but the school can't change the rank order or the relative gaps between the students but if a teacher believes that the marks are too high or too low as a whole e.g. that the mean is not accurate then they can move the whole cohort up or down in order to make the marks more accurately reflect the group - this particularly happen if one task is done very badly by the whole class. Rather than make the kids redo the task then the teachers can adjust the marks but not the ranks. The other reason that the marks sent into the board are not revealed is that the moderation process changes them so much that it isn't worthwhile knowing them e.g. I have sent in an assessment mark of 18% and had the student receive a moderated assessment of 61%.

You are supposed to get your ranks but not until AFTER the HSC has finished. This is the area where many schools are actually operating outside of the Rules and Procedures of the HSC because they give out the ranks before they should be doing so.

Once the ranks are available on the BOS website after the HSC has finished you are able to put into place the process to have the ranking checked, first at school and then, if not satisfied, by the BOS themselves. They won't change any actual task marks, just confirm that the correct marks and weightings were used and that the calculation was done properly. If there is an error, that is when it can be corrected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)