missing solutions for trig equation?? (1 Viewer)

get_back23

HSC
say for 2 sin squared x = -sinx
i divide by sinx
becomes 2sinx = -1
but then i would miss a solution comparing to if i did 2sinsquared x + sinx =0 then factorise

... and how do i know when to use this method to not miss a solution?, or should i just ignore it

Thanks so much

nightweaver066

HSC
say for 2 sin squared x = -sinx
i divide by sinx
becomes 2sinx = -1
but then i would miss a solution comparing to if i did 2sinsquared x + sinx =0 then factorise

... and how do i know when to use this method to not miss a solution?, or should i just ignore it

Thanks so much
Never do it.

If you divide both sides by sinx, you're assuming that sinx cannot equal to 0 (you cannot divide by 0) so you end up losing a solution (or multiple solutions depending on the domain).

Aesytic

HSC
it's probably best to avoid dividing by an unknown when solving an equation, but if you wanted to, i suppose you could test the solution sinx=0, and if it didn't work, then you could divide the whole equation by sinx

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Never do it.

If you divide both sides by sinx, you're assuming that sinx cannot equal to 0 (you cannot divide by 0) so you end up losing a solution (or multiple solutions depending on the domain).
^ That.

just factorise 'em out

HSC
If you divide by sinx it's like dividing out x from but obviously as well!

get_back23

HSC
oh i c

but then doesnt that mean its harder to solve those trig equations without powers, because what can i do now? factorise if its easy, but otherwise its t/2 and auxillary?

theind1996

HSC
N/A
oh i c

but then doesnt that mean its harder to solve those trig equations without powers, because what can i do now? factorise if its easy, but otherwise its t/2 and auxillary?
Can you please give me a "harder trig equation without powers"?

Because this one can be easily factorised and treated like a Quadratic..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)