Missing School.. (1 Viewer)

D347H574R

Liverpudlian
HSC
Hi guys, just looking for some info/recommendations/whatever here..

First I'll start by sayin' my subjects;

Mathematics (not doing 3U for the reasons ill get to soon);
Standard English;
SDD;
PDHPE;
Physics;
Ancient History.

My problem is that I play football (soccer if you will) quite well and I will be spending roughly 2 months in England trialing with professional clubs and will therefore miss a LOT of school work. Obviously my teachers will know before I go and I will do my best to get them to prepare all the work for me that I'll be missing, but I was wondering if anyone had ANY advice (all is welcome) on what I could do so I don't drop too far behind all my classmates when I get back.

That probably didn't come across quite how I meant it to and I might have to add more to it later, but thanks in advance for any help.
Brendan

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
D347H574R said:

Standard English;
SDD;
PDHPE;
Physics;
Ancient History.

My problem is that I play football (soccer if you will) quite well and I will be spending roughly 2 months in England trialing with professional clubs and will therefore miss a LOT of school work. Obviously my teachers will know before I go and I will do my best to get them to prepare all the work for me that I'll be missing, but I was wondering if anyone had ANY advice (all is welcome) on what I could do so I don't drop too far behind all my classmates when I get back.

That probably didn't come across quite how I meant it to and I might have to add more to it later, but thanks in advance for any help.
Brendan
Hmm first off congratulations on going to England to train with professional clubs for soccer. You must pretty gifted if your going there to train, or just want to improve your game :).

Well first off, your lucky it's the preliminaries, not the HSC. Therefore it doesn't really matter.

Secondly, if you can, just speed your subjects by writing notes on each subject and buying textbooks and being 2 months ahead if possible. Up to you :)

Thirdly, just relax and enjoy your soccer at England. Then when you come back, I guess you would have a lot of catching up to do.

And I'd recommend you to talk to your teachers about this and what advice they would give you.

That's all I can say.

D347H574R

Liverpudlian
HSC
Thanks for the reply. And the reason I am going over this year is because the school I will miss is less important than next year which would be an extremely bad time to go. Basically I am obtaining an Irish passport (to go with my Canadian and Australian) at the moment, and once I get that I will be able to play anywhere in Europe. I'm hoping to be there around March or April so at least a couple weeks I'm gone would be school holidays..

Just a further point, say I can focus a bit of spare time on one subject, what do I choose? Is it correct what I've heard that year 11 maths carries into the HSC and is the only preliminary subject to do so (therefore being the most important)?

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
D347H574R said:
Thanks for the reply. And the reason I am going over this year is because the school I will miss is less important than next year which would be an extremely bad time to go. Basically I am obtaining an Irish passport (to go with my Canadian and Australian) at the moment, and once I get that I will be able to play anywhere in Europe. I'm hoping to be there around March or April so at least a couple weeks I'm gone would be school holidays..

Just a further point, say I can focus a bit of spare time on one subject, what do I choose? Is it correct what I've heard that year 11 maths carries into the HSC and is the only preliminary subject to do so (therefore being the most important)?
Yes definitely choose mathematics, as 30% of preliminary content will be in the HSC. But the other preliminary content for other subjects don't go into the HSC, so no need to study for them. Well I'm off. Laters.

undalay

HSC
Try to focus on skills moreso then content. As Razizi said the content itself will not be tested in the HSC, but the skills will.

eg. Physics: Writing up tables. Difference between reliability/validity. etc etc.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
See if you can set up a way of emailing your teachers and they you so that they can pass on stuff during the time you are away.

This is what I do for students in Years 11 and/or 12 who are going to be away due to sport or family holidays. Yes at my school we do have parents who take their children away on extended holidays during Year 12, particularly if a relative is getting married back in the 'home country'.

Email can be your friend.

It also means that if you are reading or doing something while you are away and you don't understand it then you can email the teacher and ask a quesion.

I notice that you are doing Ancient History. In that subject you have to do a research project of some sort. See if you can do it on something relevant to England e.g. an archaeological site. In that way you could go to the site and do some on the site research (also make sure you do visit some of the Roman sites there as they will help you understand aspects of Pompeii and Herculaneum e.g. Roman Baths in Bath and some of the forts on Hadrian's Wall - at least one of Chesters (not Chester by the way - although that is a great place in its own right and has its own great Roman ruins but Chesters Fort on the wall) or Housesteads AND Vindolanda. The reason why you must see Vindolanda is that it is privately owned and sections have been 'recreated' which will give you an insight into some of the arguments regarding conservation/preservation/restoration in P&H. The other two I mentioned are owned by the National Trust.

In addition HAVE FUN - this will be a great experience and learning about yourself and another way of life as well.

Last edited:

ShowStopper

HSC
That shouldn't be a problem, just make sure you know what your in for when you get back from England.

Alex2

HSC
By the Excel preliminary study guide books for subjects like physics and it has the stuff you'd be learning at school...

blakegman

HSC
N/A
what club do you play for locally and who are you going over to england to train with ?

championship or lower side im guessing ?

what position are you?

haha not really relevant but im curious, not bad at soccer myself

D347H574R

Liverpudlian
HSC
blakegman said:
what club do you play for locally and who are you going over to england to train with ?

championship or lower side im guessing ?

what position are you?

haha not really relevant but im curious, not bad at soccer myself
I haven't decided who I will play for yet next season, someone in the Vic Premier League..

When I'm over there I'll train with Derby County (Premier League side), Sheffield United, Kent, maybe Leeds and a few others..

I can play any position on the park and have played them all at state championships etc over the years, my preferred position is any defensive role although even if I play as a full back I still make forward runs and often get involved with goals.

I think that answered it?

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
D347H574R said:

Standard English;
SDD;
PDHPE;
Physics;
Ancient History.

Brendan
Preliminary means...wait for it,

....nothing!

Don't worry, you can largely do well in your HSC subjects without thoroughly studying the prelim course. As for maths, then you can just learn as you go.

Congratulations by the way.

D347H574R

Liverpudlian
HSC
S1M0 said:
Preliminary means...wait for it,

....nothing!

Don't worry, you can largely do well in your HSC subjects without thoroughly studying the prelim course. As for maths, then you can just learn as you go.

Congratulations by the way.
Thanks man

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
D347H574R said:

Standard English;
SDD;
PDHPE;
Physics;
Ancient History.

Brendan
i play tennis, and my advice would be, take your chances with sport, because were only young once!

xxJTxx

HSC
A lot of people say preliminary doesn't count for much. I agree with these people.

You'll find a lot of your class mates this year (esp those who have older siblings who have done the HSC) chillaxing their way through the year..so don't think you'll be behind your classmates...there are only a few that are committed anyway haha.

If your going to keep up with anything, make it maths...especially the basic calculus that you learn during prelim. You don't have much time to spare with the maths course, because you need to have perfect skills by the time the HSC spins around.

Though, I do think its critical during prelim that you learn how to keep up with assessment tasks and what not, so I think that going away will probably teach you good skills of starting stuff way early so as to get it out of the way.

Anyway..most of all..enjoy your trip..maybe you'll get some kind of sports scholarship or something when applying for uni entry..:)

D347H574R

Liverpudlian
HSC
risole91 said:
i play tennis, and my advice would be, take your chances with sport, because were only young once!
Well thats my theory on it. This is my best chance to go and I'm willing to spend as long there as it takes and just really be back for year 12 because I still want a good career assuming nothing happened with sport (which is the likely outcome).

D347H574R

Liverpudlian
HSC
xxJTxx said:
A lot of people say preliminary doesn't count for much. I agree with these people.

You'll find a lot of your class mates this year (esp those who have older siblings who have done the HSC) chillaxing their way through the year..so don't think you'll be behind your classmates...there are only a few that are committed anyway haha.

If your going to keep up with anything, make it maths...especially the basic calculus that you learn during prelim. You don't have much time to spare with the maths course, because you need to have perfect skills by the time the HSC spins around.

Though, I do think its critical during prelim that you learn how to keep up with assessment tasks and what not, so I think that going away will probably teach you good skills of starting stuff way early so as to get it out of the way.

Anyway..most of all..enjoy your trip..maybe you'll get some kind of sports scholarship or something when applying for uni entry..:)
Well I've decided I'm not going to follow my brothers example too much as he got a 72.** UAI, which although being good enough for the course he wanted isn't the best example to follow when I'm aiming 95+. Realistically, I'd be very extremely happy with 90.

Thanks for all the well wishers too.

Brendan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)