Missing Lectures? (1 Viewer)

Tammie123

HSC
Ok so heres the story i booked a lil holiday b4 i new i was going to uni....is it really bad to miss days...i would only miss like 3 days but is this acceptable???

michelleanne

HSC
Its best not to book any holidays when uni starts, but in your case you didnt know.

Many people miss lectures for one reason or another. Sometimes a couple or practically all of them - but if your lecturer puts the notes on webct- that could cover you.

Also, are you missing 3 days of classes for each subject or 1 or 3 weeks? and are you going to be mssing more than 1 subject?

See lectures are not usually compolsury although in some attendance is recorded. However, if you are missing tutorials, these are compulsury- you can miss only two classes that are unexplained.

Also, depending on when in the semester you go because you may have pieces of assessment due, class presentations and mid-semester exams. But if its the first week or second week you should be fine.

Also, if you are not aware we do have a mid-semester break from the 25-29 April and the easter public holidays from 25-28 March.

klh

HSC
the first classes contain info that will tell you waht is expected of you in the units your enrolled in.
im sure that in your case you can miss it wihtout any bg consequesnces, just go and ask you lecturer directly about what you need to know [or ask your friends if they are going to your uni] and remember to collect a unit outline.
also go to your course co-ordinater and get a survival guide so you know where to go to do stuff [e.g. printing, study help etc.]

debugz

HSC
u can ... miss the first week of uni :p
Only lectures run in the first week, and generally they are intro lectures etc etc. Its the tutes and labs that u will get in strife for missing. But seeing as they dont start till week 2, you'll be ok if u need to take the first week off.

Jacks

HSC
obviously taking holidays during uni isn't encouraged, though seems you have already booked the holiday it doesn't seem like it can be avoided. As a general rule you have to attend 80% of the tutorials for each subject in order to pass...a lot of units that you do may not call a roll during lectures no a lot of people tend to skip them all together, though again it's not the best idea. If you are only going to miss 3 days, which will equal a week of your subject then it isn't a big deal. This will all depend, on whether or not you have something due on those days...if you do you will need to submit them regardless, so you'll probably have to hand them in early as I don't think a holiday is grounds for an extension. The chances you will have an assessment on the days you'll miss are probably low though. If you do end up missing the tutorials the best you can do is try and obtain notes, either from other students, your lecturer or WebCT...and try and catch up on the weekly readings that you missed later on. Missing 3 days or a week isn't going to really affect you in a huge way providing you catch up, or don't have anything due. So I wouldn't stress right now, go ahead with your holiday plans...the only advice I can give you is to consult your unit outlines when you get them, and check the dates you'll be absent to make sure you have nothing due. If there are any problems with the dates and the assessments are scheduled in class you'll have to consult your tutor for advice, other than that you should be fine. Just a word of warning though, do not book any other holidays in uni time, especially in the scheduled exam weeks, as having a holiday booked is not a valid reason for missing an exam and you don't want to have to cancel, and perhaps lose deposits or whatever...though that's something for you to be mindful of in the future. Though for now, assuming everything works out, I hope you have a nice holiday! ;)

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
You should be careful about subjects that run tutorials during first week (majority of UWS courses run their tutorials during first week). This is basically because we lose a week during mid-session break (it's counted as a uni week), unlike other uni's where mid-session break isn't considered part of the 14 week session.

dre

HSC
hey...im probably going to miss the 4th of march...that friday cause of family commitments that were already planned aswell like months and months ago... so that will be my 3rd day of uni and i have 1 lecture, 1 workshop and 1 tut. Who do i tell beforehand??? and are they generally nice about situations like these???? do i get like a note to hand to them?? who do i hand it to ???? lol

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
They'll let you have 2 unexplained absenses throughout the semester for tutorials. You should tell your tutor before and see what you will be talking about in class and see if theres any readings to do, as you don't want to fall behind so early. You don't need a note, its not highschool :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)