Misadventure... how does it work?? (1 Viewer)

kiwiolly

HSC
Our school principal died over the weekend, so our deputy principal has submitted a group Ilness and Misadventure Appeal for our entire year 12.

What does this mean, some people are talking about extra marks... others are saying we get an estimate??

I'm assuming the misadventure appeal cant negatively affect our marks... does anyone know what they usually do if the appeal gets approved?

illmtl

HSC
Right, I had to fill out a misadventure thingy when I cut my thumb during trials.

What was arranged for me was that if my injury affected my mark in any way they would look at other assesments like it and adjust my mark accordingly. The idea seems to be, if you've always gotten full marks for a certain type of assesment and they judge you to have been affected by something valid which caused you to get like 50% they'd adjust your mark.... I'm guessing something like this would happen... it doesn't neccessarily mean extra marks.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
kiwiolly said:
Our school principal died over the weekend, so our deputy principal has submitted a group Ilness and Misadventure Appeal for our entire year 12.

What does this mean, some people are talking about extra marks... others are saying we get an estimate??

I'm assuming the misadventure appeal cant negatively affect our marks... does anyone know what they usually do if the appeal gets approved?
Sorry to hear about ur Principal :( Mr Rolfe was a great man... I remember he gave me my award at CWPS Grad. in 2000.... :(

anyway, yeh similar to what illmtl said, they'll take into consideration your HSC performance in comparison with ur assessment mark that your school sent in. If any of you are unable to complete the exam due to the recent events then Misadventure will sort of help you. I'm not really sure that it'll give you "more marks" persay... but will act as a sort of buffer in case things get really ugly and can be justified as a result of the unfortunate events.

jared_88

HSC
illmtl said:
Right, I had to fill out a misadventure thingy when I cut my thumb during trials.

What was arranged for me was that if my injury affected my mark in any way they would look at other assesments like it and adjust my mark accordingly. The idea seems to be, if you've always gotten full marks for a certain type of assesment and they judge you to have been affected by something valid which caused you to get like 50% they'd adjust your mark.... I'm guessing something like this would happen... it doesn't neccessarily mean extra marks.
BLOODY HELL... I cut my thumb during my legal trial (whilst tryin to undo the staple by hand... yea I know stupid right!), but I didn't even think that I could appeal. Becos it seriously psyched me out n made me write slower (it was spittin out blood onto band-aids n tissues for like 10 mins). How many extra marks did u get for it???

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You actually don't get extra marks.

What they do is look at your results with the exam in and with the exam out.

Whichever is best for you is what you get.

sarevok

HSC
They take the higher of your exam and assessment marks.

frezzel

HSC
hsc scammers...

if someone was ranked one with an assessment mark of 90, what would happen if they filed for misadventure for their exam? would they receive that mark of 90 for their final mark?

IF so whats to stop people doing this when they know they are going to do much worse in their external exam compared to their assessment mark?

Last edited:

sarevok

HSC
frezzel said:
if someone was ranked one with an assessment mark of 90, what would happen if they filed for misadventure for their exam? would they receive that mark of 90 for their final mark?
Yes

frezzel said:
IF so whats to stop people doing this when they know they are going to do much worse in their external exam compared to their assessment mark?
they don't give it out just for anything. it has to be something that renders you incapable of performing as well as you would have performed otherwise...illness, serious illness in the family, death in the family etc. plus you need to submit documentary evidence to show that this occurred

frezzel

HSC
so what happens if you have a class of 3 students, 1 getting about 60%, the other 2 getting about 80-90%, and one of the top two does not turn up?

Is the bottom student treated as an outlier? or will they bring down the final mark for everyone else....

sarevok

HSC
The process by which assessment marks are calculated is quite complicated and you can probably find better guidance on that question elsewhere on this site

But, from what I remember, the board does take outliers into account. So the assessment mark of the person who doesn't turn up will be pretty good if they are ranked far ahead of the person who gets 60%. Viz a situation where the person who gets 60% doesn't turn up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)