Mining engineering transfer?? (1 Viewer)

N

Newberry

Hey im starting the mining eng transfer program next year and i was wondering what the go is at the end of the 2 yrs. are you guaranteed a spot at uow or unsw or what?
also what kind of software do i need on my laptop and what is preferred.

i was accepted in this year but deferred so i could make some money.

thanks

N

Newberry

ok since no-one replied i thought i might post it again...
is anyone currently in this degree because i would really like some info on what actually happens with the transfer and what kind of software i will need to complete the degree.
thankyou

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I don't do this program, however this is what I've gathered from reading.

http://www.newcastle.edu.au/program/10478.html
The mining engineering program is a 4 year program in which students complete the first two years of the Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) program at the University of Newcastle. In the first two years you will study mathematics and physics as well as structural and environmental mechanics, geomechanics, technology and human values, surveying and computer programming. After transferring to the University of New South Wales or the University of Wollongong your studies will include underground mining, surface mining, blasting, geology, mine ventilation, mine economics, mine planning, mine water, environmental impact and regulations and safety.

Note:

Transfer of students to either the University of New South Wales, or University of Wollongong, is performed by submission of application through UAC the year before anticipated enrolment. Students electing to transfer to the Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) at University of Newcastle are also required to submit application through UAC. Details of UAC application process can be obtained from Universities Admissions Centre.
So basically you do the first 2 years of civil engineering, then you transfer to another uni if you want to keep doing mining (at unsw: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2007/3140.html ), or you might be able to transfer to Civil here.

One thing that you will have to consider is you still need to organise your own accommodation in sydney/the gong and from the description I assume you have to do the transfer stuff yourself through UAC yourself (It's not hard).

It's not necessarily a guaranteed thing, in extreme cases like you keep failing courses they might not let you do anything, however as long as you work hard you will be right.

N

Newberry

thanks for your help...you wouldnt happen to know anything about the required computer software though would you?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
You shouldn't worry about that, every bit of software you need will be on the computers at uni, and the rest, unless you steal it from the internet, costs like $500 a copy.

N

Newberry

ok thanks. do you go to newcastle uni?
someone told me i would need to buy a graphics card so that saves me a heap of money!

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
yeah I do telecom eng

But yeah, unless you go full stupid hardcore with programs at home, you will only really use word processing at home

N

Newberry

ok ill keep that in mind...im also gunna be living on campus - what do you recommend?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
A lot of luck getting in? Are you already accepted? I want to live on campus but cause I live at home it will be tough to get in.

I've heard good things about all the campuses, so imo as long as they have everything you need, you're sweet.

One or two bosers are on there, but they don't post much :)

N

Newberry

i deferred my course so i could work this year, and i am about to apply for acom. i live 4 hours away in the country so i may have a bit more luck with you cos it sounds like you live close.
it said that applications accepted from 1st september so i dont know if they accept them any earlier

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
where do you live?

also good luck, it's hard getting in there, so be open minded to staying off campus for a while

N

Newberry

mudgee...ever heard of it?

how far from the uni do you live? cos i used to live at caves beach near swansea

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
hah yeah, I lived in tamworth before here

I live in warners bay now with my parents (story there)

Caves beach is nice, I went bodyboarding there once, it's a bit out of the way for the uni though.

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
will post later. in the mean time, there is a lot of info about the on campus accomodation in older threads.

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
Newberry said:
Hey im starting the mining eng transfer program next year and i was wondering what the go is at the end of the 2 yrs. are you guaranteed a spot at uow or unsw or what?
also what kind of software do i need on my laptop and what is preferred.

i was accepted in this year but deferred so i could make some money.

thanks

transfer is NOT guaranteed*. it is fairly easy to do though. i think if you passed every subject in the first two years at newcastle you would be virtually assured a place at unsw/uow.

required software

microsoft office
microsoft visual studio (or some other FORTRAN 90 compiler)
matlab if you can get it

*friend of mine failed 2 subjects in first two years and got knocked back for the transfer to unsw

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)