Mind Maps Vs. Syllabus Points (1 Viewer)

Samie_Loo

quacktacular
HSC
as the title suggests... i am wondering which is the better way to study? any ideas?? :uhhuh:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Using the syllabus points.

The questions will be based off them, so know them.

Write notes on each point, and then test yourself on each point.

HSC
Samie_Loo said:
as the title suggests... i am wondering which is the better way to study? any ideas?? :uhhuh:
A detailed mind map is much better than the dot points.

First learn the subject (module) content. Draw out a mind map on it. You could spend a few days drawing a mind map to really summarise the stuff.

The benefit of a mind map is that you are able to visually see all the interconnections between the various things which will really benefit your understanding of how things work.

By now you should already know what the words IDENTIFY, EXPLAIN, DESCRIBE etc mean. You don't need the dot points other than for the fact knowing what topics you need to know.

Look at the dot point, see what it says. For example, if the dot point says: Describe what enzymes are (or whatever), just go learn about enzymes, because if you just do the minimum (the dot point), you're cheating yourself, you won't get into the top bands (according to an older teacher).

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Of course you just dont learn the syllabus dot points. You should use them as a structure to your notes.

Write the point, and then some notes on that point that expands on it.

You should be able to go through each point and be able to explain it and expand on it. If you can do that your set.

The examiners treat the syllabus like the bible and so should you.

Mindmaps may get you confused with what the question is asking. Mosre often than not a question will ask you a question based on a point. The expectation will be to talk about the sub-points that under the main point.

learn to exploit the syllabus to your advantage.

HSC
i study for entire course in detail then i go make a mind map and connect up every detail aspect and write very very (3-4 word) brief summary under it, i bought 250 sheets of a3 paper at kmart for $6 and it was worth it (I do this for SDD/IT so far) I might try it for chem

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
Samie_Loo said:
It depends on the type of person u are. If u are a visual learner (Eg: u remember a diagram of a process rather than a word-for-word description) then mind maps are great. If not, Summarise by the dot-points. If u are unsure, i recommend doing the dot-poin summaries then mind-mapping them. It also depends on the topic (eg: for Biology i mind-map but for chemistry i summarise by dot-point...)some sbjects are more suited to one or the other...

haack_m

HSC
my french teacher, crazy like all language teachers, well the ones i have known, *shudders*

told my class that we should between now and the hsc, go through one of the A4 blank reems of paper, from like officeworks and such, for each subject,

i am yet to try this, but it would prob help in the greatest

but it would also assist greatly in deforestation

dun worry im not a greeny, i just like my air clean

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
This may sound a little silly, but how exactly do you create a mind map? How do you structure it, etc?

HSC
(i picked this up at "HSC countdown" that came to our school)

your brain tries to categorise all information given (which is true, i know i always try to categorise stuff),

For example you do chemistry and BS like me, (well i used to do BS but i did most the course)

If you are given management theories, that is a category of 4 other management theories, so what happends is in any mind map, your main category is centralised, and the objects that fall under it are linked too it, so for the example I gave you ..
you'd place "management theories" in the middle and lead out 4 branches of classical-scientific, behavioural, political and systems-contingency, and then if you wish you could have some brief points under it about the certain management theory

other subjects its very difficult because topics are very unordered (like VET IT) so thats when you must categorise it yourself, be glad you don't have too :uhhuh:

Mandy101

HSC
I find that mind maps really work for subjects like Ancient History, History Extension, English & English Extension because there is so much essay writing. I always check though, that my content covers the syllabus. For subjects like Economics and Business Studies I use the syllabus dot points straight off, and write a comment or two of theory, application etc next to each one.

tennille

HSC
I agree that mind maps are good for subjects with many concepts to remember (eg. English ext 1 and even chemistry).

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
Syllabus dot points for science, history/languages and social sciences. As far as english is concerned, memorise a few key quotes that you can stick into anything and what they mean. I find mind maps to be useless for most things.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Danni07 said:
This may sound a little silly, but how exactly do you create a mind map? How do you structure it, etc?
Essentially, you just start off with one or two key words and draw "branches" off it, elaborating on that key word. For example, your topic may be "Journeys" and you'll branch off into: change, obstacles, emotional, intellectual etc. and from those you go into more detail. It's really just a way of extrapolating from what you know and exploring the linkages between things.

s0k0y0e0

HSC
Samie_Loo said:
Each to there own! :uhhuh:

It's depends which way you learn better!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)