Mid-Year Admissions (1 Viewer)

melodi

HSC
Hey guys,

I've done a mid-year application for USYD and UNSW.

I'm currently at student at UWS and I've done a year and a half there. My UAI was 64ish, so I'm wondering how likely it is that I'm going to get in. I've applied for both the B Arts and B Liberal Arts and Sciences degrees at USYD. The Arts degree has a 2009 ATAR cut off of 84.4 and the Liberal Arts and Sciences degree doesn't have a cut off.

Wondering how much doing a year and half of uni already is going to be taken into consideration?

Also, is anyone doing HR at USYD? Currently I'm doing a Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations degree at UWS and I'm wondering if it's going to be possible for me to stay that specific at USYD? As far as I know I can major in HR in both degrees?

melodi

HSC
My GPA for last year is 4.125, but I'm currently disputing a fail grade of 47 for one subject (I missed two weeks of last semester due to some crazy shit). So I've currently had three Passes, three Credits and one Distinction. But I've done a lot better this semester, probably looking at a distinction average after exam results. I wonder what type of GPA I will need?

The B Liberal Arts and Sciences degree might be more what I'm looking at - if the B Arts is really general? It also doesn't have a cut off because it's a new course so maybe that will give me a better chance of getting in? Fingers crossed.

witide

HSC
I really don't think you can raise that to a distinction over just one semester, but good luck.

New course doesn't mean it's easier to get into. I applied for one which only had a quote of 5 people and the cut-off ended up being 97. Anyway, on the course page it says "2010 ATAR cut-off
75.00".

Why wouldn't you choose Arts because it's general? Unless you specifically want to do LA & S core units or focus more on a science major. And you won't be able to do HR either.

melodi

HSC
UAC Undergraduate Course Description

This course description says that I have to do a major from either the B Arts degree or the B Science degree. So that means I can do a HR major and then do a sequence of science subjects (which I don't mind doing).

It also says that there was no 2009 ATAR cut off, but I've emailed the admissions office at USYD and they've replied saying that they will only take into account my GPA. They also said that I would be considered with a credit average or above. So when I sort out this subject that I've got a fail for, I'll have a GPA of 4.625, which I think is a high credit average?

It's a shame they don't take this semester's results into account. I've done so much better this year. But offers come out before results do...

witide

HSC
HR isn't an arts of science major, you need a table A major before it can be counted.

4.625 would still be a pass I'm afraid, you'd need 5+ for a credit. Why not wait until the end of the year, or just defer your studies for second semester?

melodi

HSC
Oh. I was under the impression that human resource management was a major for Arts? I'm on an iPhone so I can't link to it, but I'm pretty sure I saw HR as a major for the Arts degree.

So I guess my GPA won't make the cut. Which sucks because I'm already a year and a half through my degree. Transferring next year would mean that I'm transferring with only a year to go in my current degree and just seems so pointless. As far as I know, I'm pretty much going to have to start over with my degree if I transfer.

Guess I'll just see how it goes though. Maybe I'll be lucky.

melodi

HSC
Just re-read the email from the admissions office. They've actually said that my appilcation would be considered with a pass average or better. So maybe all hope isn't lost...

melodi

HSC
Ergh. So I got into BLAS. Still can't figure out if I can do anything related to HR at all. The B Commerce degree looks the most relevant to what I was doing at UWS, so I guess I'll have to wait until I can apply for that degree through UAC in August. So basically I'm stuck doing a pointless degree in Semester 2.

ILikesTheSchool

HSC
Just a word of warning, if you choose the Lib Arts and Science degree be prepared to do 12 credit points worth of maths.
If maths isn't a strong point of yours I would recommend the Arts degree. I found that a considerable amount of students that did 3 unit maths found maths at uni quite difficult.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)