• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Microsoft Longhorn Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Since its getting closer and we're finding new things from the new OS.

Longhorn Details Emerge at WinHEC 2005

Microsoft execs extol snazzy graphics, connectivity, and security features of next Windows.

Yardena Arar and Karl Koessel, PC World
Wednesday, April 27, 2005

SEATTLE--The successor to Windows XP isn't due until late next year, but Microsoft this week treated Windows hardware developers here to tantalizing glimpses of a slick-looking OS with support for all types of connectivity and multimedia, new security capabilities, and a new document format.

Advertisement

This next-generation Windows, code-named Longhorn, was the subject of numerous presentations at the 2005 Windows Hardware Engineering Conference, or WinHEC. Beta testing for Longhorn is due to begin this summer.

Some details had already emerged at previous Microsoft conferences. The OS's new graphics engine, code-named Avalon, uses the power of today's graphics chips to produce stunning effects, such as so-called aero glass transparency, which allows content from one window to show through parts of the window on top of it. Animated icons and shading effects available in Longhorn dramatically enhance traditional Windows elements, too.

But Longhorn's powerful graphics capabilities aren't just about aesthetics. Application elements that look tiny on high-resolution displays--toolbar buttons or menu text, for example--can be enlarged to two or three times their original size forlegibility.

Metro: New Document Format

Longhorn will also incorporate a new document format called Metro--which uses XML (eXtensible Markup Language) and other technologies (including parts of Avalon)--that aims to standardize advanced graphics in documents across multiple platforms and applications (similar to the way documents in Adobe's PDF format have become ubiquitous).

Besides producing the Metro specification, Microsoft has developed a viewer for managing, viewing, and printing Metro files; a print-to-file applet for creating Metro documents from any Windows application; APIs (application programming interfaces) that will allow developers to incorporate Metro into their software, hardware, and even Web sites; software to optimize printing of Metro documents; and a Metro printer driver.

Microsoft says that it will offer Metro technology royalty-free to encourage industry-wide support--particularly from printer vendors, who, by incorporating Metro technology into their products, can achieve faster printing speeds (because the PC won't have to do all the work) and truer reproduction of documents.

Well Connected, Media Friendly

Several WinHEC sessions addressed Longhorn's improved connectivity features. For example, the OS will support cell phones in the same way that Windows now supports digital cameras, with technology for everything from transferring and synchronizing data (such as music files and contact information) to displaying the phone's content and capabilities in a Windows Explorer-like view.

In addition, Longhorn will handle IP-addressable devices on a local-area network just as Windows XP now manages hardware connected via USB or PCI. "We're now treating IP as just another bus," said Jawad Khaki, corporate vice president for Windows networking and device technologies. One result of this approach: Users will no longer need to install a printer; instead, it will install itself, much the way a plug-and-play USB flash drive now does.

Longhorn will also further the trend towards multimedia-friendly PCs, with support for high-definition video and something called Direct Media Mode that will allow users to play music and/or video on a Longhorn notebook or desktop without actually booting up Windows.

Several demos at WinHEC showed how Longhorn's auxiliary display support will enable users to access data--from calendar and contact info to music and video--without booting into Windows or (in the case of a notebook) even opening the lid. (The auxiliary display on a notebook, as shown at WinHEC, was an LCD the size of a large matchbook embedded on the outside of the lid.)

Security in Longhorn

Addressing longstanding and increasingly critical concerns about the security of Windows, Longhorn will feature what Microsoft calls Secure Startup--technology intended to determine whether a system has been tampered with while offline. At bootup, Secure Startup will check for a security chip known as TPM (Trusted Platform Module) that will store cryptographic keys, passwords, and digital certificates, typically on the motherboard. Putting security measures in hardware makes the system far more resistant to tampering than does using a software-based security scheme.

Microsoft announced some time ago that the WinFS storage system first unveiled at the Professional Developers Conference in October 2003 won't ship with Longhorn. Nevertheless, some benefits of WinFS, which will add relational database characteristics to the traditional Windows file system, were showcased in WinHEC demos.

For example, saving a file in Longhorn brings up fields for user-defined file metadata such as the author, the title of a document, the date of creation, the document's category, and keywords; if completed, these metadata fields can later be used to speed up and improve searches. By displaying the fields instead of hiding them in a Properties dialog box as Windows currently does, Longhorn presumably will encourage users to supply the metadata.

APIs that will allow third-party applications to take advantage of the metadata won't be supported until WinFS is fully implemented. In the meantime, Longhorn users will still benefit from the faster search capabilities.
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,120598,00.asp

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
does anyone know if longhorn will have the same names and same type of navigation as windows does?

and after reading all the extra features that are included with longhorn , how much gigs will it take up on a harddrive. probably double windows or sometihng.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Navigation remains quite similar however a new start bar/quicklaunch is added and the sexy OS X window managing techniques are incorporated.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Its pretty much certain that windows will occupy an exponentially largere chunk of space.

On the plus HDDs are getting bigger and chea0per far faster than windows ;)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
so whats with these new grpahics they boast about? would u need a 1 gig graphics card or something lol.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Im looking forward to see if the promised 3d desktop will be in any way left in tact, even if it is as a third party api

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The hardware requiremnets shouldnt be that great.

The problem being:

The final plan is to use vertex shading (like OS X) and shift the graphics load of running windows to the GPU.

Early versions like the one jm installed don't have this feature working so the CPU is flat out trying to render what the GPU would be able to do no sweat.

The graphics they boast about is the potential offered by shifting load to the GPU. I'm sure you're familiar with the difference between the ability of a 5 year old graphic card and a new one. The leap up in capability from CPU to GPU would be similar.

The result being there are a lot more CPU cycles left over to run windows under the bonnet and the formerly idle GPU can now be used to make the surface look shit hot. So it runs faster, smoother, stabler and sexier.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ahh thanks for that, hmm might need to get a new computer regardless haha

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
addymac said:
The hardware requiremnets shouldnt be that great.

The problem being:

The final plan is to use vertex shading (like OS X) and shift the graphics load of running windows to the GPU.

Early versions like the one jm installed don't have this feature working so the CPU is flat out trying to render what the GPU would be able to do no sweat.

The graphics they boast about is the potential offered by shifting load to the GPU. I'm sure you're familiar with the difference between the ability of a 5 year old graphic card and a new one. The leap up in capability from CPU to GPU would be similar.

The result being there are a lot more CPU cycles left over to run windows under the bonnet and the formerly idle GPU can now be used to make the surface look shit hot. So it runs faster, smoother, stabler and sexier.
nope, in the latest build they aready enabled some parts of the desktop composition engine.

when i installed it wouldn't boot.

it stopped at "crcdisk.sys"

they quoted in this build you need at least 5900 or 9800 for max effects, but i'm sure this is just because it is an early alpha

7th Sign

HSC
meah im still running on windows 2000 pro ... havnt bothered to get a copy of xp pro yet ........sif you would want longhorn jack would support it....

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
7th Sign said:
meah im still running on windows 2000 pro ... havnt bothered to get a copy of xp pro yet ........sif you would want longhorn jack would support it....
Considering its going to be the x64 era soon....

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
My concern with longhorn is Microsoft's move to 'Palladium'. I'm a little wary of jumping into LH quite so fast.

HSC
I've been hearing scare-mongering about Palladium for years upon years. I'm still yet to see it as a the all-consuming threat to my privacy and security that people would have me believe, and indeed it is such an intrusion I refuse to believe that there won't be alternatives. :) I'm inclined to not take this one too seriously in advance, because a lot of the scare-mongering sounds like pure wankery.

As for Longhorn, count me in, as I've said before I can't remember a major platform release from MS which hasn't blown the others out of the water (With ME being the obvious exception).

jonathan109

HSC
N/A
7th Sign said:
Please do not show how ignorant you are, i believe Windows is the only OS which thinks extremely critically about backwards compatability. Longhorn will sport this.

AsyLum said:
Considering its going to be the x64 era soon....
Current rumours are, there will be one version of client longhorn for 32/64 bit support, during setup, you would have the option to select which version you want to be installed. Furthermore there isn't much problems with the move to 64 Bit, Microsoft has done an excellent job at maintaining 32 Bit compatibilty through the implementation of WoW (Windows on Windows), which is essentally a layer of compatibility for 32 bit applications.

It's been stated there's a bi-directional performance impact, i.e. in general there would be a possible 30% application performance boost to existing 32 bit applications, likewise, there is a possibility of performance degredation.

This all solely depends on how the developer wrote their applications, there was a simple example showing how mis-using types in old applictions could cause a performance issue under 64 bit, e.g. unsigned integers, and signed integers, was one issue they discovered.

Furthermore for the managed-based world developers, i.e. Java , and .NET, you can be free of trouble minds of migration, since it would just be dependant on the vendor to release a 64 Bit compliant framework.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)