Michelangelo Antonioni Dies (1 Viewer)

walrusbear

HSC
first bergman, now antonioni is dead.
what a week

icecreamdisco

HSC
bergman on antonioni:

"He's done two masterpieces, you don't have to bother with the rest. One is Blow-Up, which I've seen many times, and the other is La Notte, also a wonderful film, although that's mostly because of the young Jeanne Moreau. In my collection I have a copy of Il Grido, and damn what a boring movie it is. So devilishly sad, I mean. You know, Antonioni never really learned the trade. He concentrated on single images, never realising that film is a rhythmic flow of images, a movement. Sure, there are brilliant moments in his films. But I don't feel anything for L'Avventura, for example. Only indifference. I never understood why Antonioni was so incredibly applauded. And I thought his muse Monica Vitti was a terrible actress."

anyway, i'm a pretty big fan of both, so this one-two punch is pretty sad. RIP (x2)

who's next?

walrusbear

HSC
thanks for the full quote icecream
saw it paraphrased on a brief news article

is godard still alive?

spiny norman

HSC
I'm not too keen on Antonioni, only a few of his movies really do anything for me. However, it was strange that, upon hearing the news of Bergman in the morning, I thought afterwards "Antonioni's still kicking, is he going to live forever" yet news of his death bookended my night.

Yes, Godard's still kicking. He's only 70-odd, so may have a little bit left in him yet.

As for that generation, the only notable directors I can think of who are still kicking would be Resnais and Lumet. I'm sure there's more than that, but they're the only ones coming to mind for me.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I think Godard's the next oldest one still around after Lumet. Nichols is a little younger, and Woody Allen's a couple of years younger still. All in their 70s though.

Eastwood and Polanski are also in their 70s

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)