Michael Bay's "The Island" as a related text? (1 Viewer)

Navin

HSC
I was thinking of using "The Island" as a related text along with my prescribed text "As you like it" and my other related, "Under the tuscan sun"

For the Island I can see belonging and disconnection to both a place AND society...because they belong within the cloning factory and with that community whereas not to the outside world.

??
Opinions please

HSC
It could work but I would try and say it more intellectually than that:p I think the clones would be limited in their sense of belonging because of the way they have been raised as spare parts rather than unique human beings, to the extent of being owned by other humans rather than equal with them. Thus they'd be marginalised from wider society and deliberately prevented from being able to belong with human beings naturally conceived, even if in terms of their physical appearance and similar desires they belong. The clones are enabled are a sense of connectedness and belonging with each other within the factory due to their shared environment, imprinted memories and intended purpose, yet again in being framed as spare parts this is not necessarily a satisfying sense of belonging either... And so forth. You don't have to agree with anything I just said but make sure you justify your arguments and that if you do use The Island you are able to sound sophisticated through your choice and understanding of related text:)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think they really belong in the cloning factory as the protagonist longed to see the natural world as he was fascinated by the moth. All the other clones do not seem to like it there as well as they long to go to the "island".

The movie is worth seeing just because of Scarlett Johansen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)