Metroid (1 Viewer)

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Discuss the Metroid series.

What's your favourite game in the series?
Do you prefer the 2D or 3D games?

I've come back to Super Metroid after not playing it for about 5 years, and it's really proven to be great. Have no idea how I finished it as a kid though,
the game gets ridiculously frustrating when you don't know where to go. Finding that weak spot in the wall to blast open with a bomb or whatever is a fucking pain. Great music and sound, fantastic control and such an enveloping atmosphere the game has.

I played Metroid Prime 2:Echoes when I borrowed a cousin's cube, and it was fun for a while. Too much scanning, and the inclusion of the dark/light aether thing added too much to the whole puzzle theme of the game (I'm much too stewpid to work with it). In the end, just got bored and quit playing it after a while. Multiplayer is damn well dull, too.

Metroid Prime: Hunters is just Metroid for the masses. You say "wow" to the stylus controls for a while and regret it when your wrist is sore a few minutes later. Multiplayer doesn't seem too great, either, just doesn't feel like a good fps should.

Have yet to give the GBA games a go, ditto the original NES one and the first Prime. But for what Super Metroids worth, 2D versions are definitely a lot better than the 3D ones.

iwannarock

HSC
runtlocks said:
Discuss the Metroid series.

What's your favourite game in the series?
Do you prefer the 2D or 3D games?

I've come back to Super Metroid after not playing it for about 5 years, and it's really proven to be great. Have no idea how I finished it as a kid though,
the game gets ridiculously frustrating when you don't know where to go. Finding that weak spot in the wall to blast open with a bomb or whatever is a fucking pain. Great music and sound, fantastic control and such an enveloping atmosphere the game has.

I played Metroid Prime 2:Echoes when I borrowed a cousin's cube, and it was fun for a while. Too much scanning, and the inclusion of the dark/light aether thing added too much to the whole puzzle theme of the game (I'm much too stewpid to work with it). In the end, just got bored and quit playing it after a while. Multiplayer is damn well dull, too.

Metroid Prime: Hunters is just Metroid for the masses. You say "wow" to the stylus controls for a while and regret it when your wrist is sore a few minutes later. Multiplayer doesn't seem too great, either, just doesn't feel like a good fps should.

Have yet to give the GBA games a go, ditto the original NES one and the first Prime. But for what Super Metroids worth, 2D versions are definitely a lot better than the 3D ones.
i'm ashamed to admit that the only one i've played is metroid prime hunters. although maybe i've played the one on snes for a few seconds ages ago.

i knew it wasn't gonna be like proper metroids when i bought it.

but despite this i think its one of the best games on the ds and one of my favourite fps's on something other than a pc.

the control is on par with keyboard +mouse and better than any console fps control in my opinion.

my only complaint is that it doesnt have 8 player or 16 player.

even with only 4 it struggles sometimes with slowdown.

oh yeah and i lie down with the ds and play or rest it one one knee. i never actually hold the whole weight of the ds in one hand.......thats how you get cramps.

HSC
i enjoy both 2d and 3d metroids

played through the first one on nes and also the second one on gameboy, but never beat them. super metroid is one of the best games ever made, imo. everything about it's pretty much perfect and i don't think it's aged one bit.

haven't played metroid prime 2, but the first one is one of the gc's best games. like ocarina or mario 64, it's just a perfect transition from 2d to 3d. great atmosphere and just downright beautiful too.

i just beat metroid zero mission (GBA remake of the original metroid), and while it was really short and pretty easy, it was still a lot of fun. same thing with fusion too. i hope metroid 2 gets the zero mission treatment too, 'cause it deserves it.

i think hunters is a great game, but is pretty flawed at the same time. shitty boss battles and the puzzles really aren't difficult, but still, handheld 3d metroid! and wifi play is a blast. also it's a lot easier on your hands when you use a thumbstrap instead of the stylus

prime 3 can't come soon enough

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
I liked the guy in Super Smash Bros. I kicked ass with him. Never played any of the series though

iwannarock

HSC
Gilbert1 said:
I liked the guy in Super Smash Bros. I kicked ass with him. Never played any of the series though
samus aran is a chick yo.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
I only have the first metroid on gamecube. The atmosphere is great and it has excellent graphics. I haven't killed the final boss yet and metroid 2 on gamecube is one of those games i'll probably get one day.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Metroid is shit because you can't save, got some nice passwords though.
I got fucking bored of Metroid 2's appaling graphics.
Super Metroid is pretty good despite massive flaws in the game, second preferred SNES game to Super Bomberman 4.
Metroid Fusion is one I completely owned (both ways), completed in about 10 minutes less than 2 hours.

Metroid Zero Mission is a nice game too.

Metroid Prime is ok ...

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
The alien design on Hunters is downright terrible, almost embarrasing. The rock guy is by far my favourite character, but he looks like something from Baldur's Gate.

Just found the Grav Suit and walking around the waterworld in Super Metroid. Game's really starting to pick up now, it's bloody great.

iwannarock

HSC
runtlocks said:
The alien design on Hunters is downright terrible, almost embarrasing. The rock guy is by far my favourite character, but he looks like something from Baldur's Gate.
do you mean the hunters or the actual enemies.

yeah the enemies are fucking awful.

whats with the no space pirates either.

but the hunters are awesome.

rock guy is awesome if you get good with the magmaul and set everybody on fire.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
iwannarock said:
do you mean the hunters or the actual enemies.

yeah the enemies are fucking awful.

whats with the no space pirates either.

but the hunters are awesome.

rock guy is awesome if you get good with the magmaul and set everybody on fire.
The Hunters I reckon look pretty damn plastic. Too colourful and vibrant. Not scary at all.

Faced Ridley today in Super Metroid, boy he was pretty scary. Again it's that atmosphere, it's perfect. Think I'll start Fusion soon, after I beat this.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Yip, started Fusion and it's pretty great so far. Being babied by the nav and given objectives is just not Metroid, though

Hero Of Time

HSC
N/A
Either Metroid Prime or Metroid Prime 2: Echoes were probably my favourite. Metroid Fusion wasn't too bad either. I don't think Metroid all up is that great though, probably because I haven't played a title for a while, or that I prefer other types of games.

Kikkoman

HSC
Love the Metroid series! I have ever since I was like, 4 years old or something. Had Super Metroid on our SNES and I loved it; never knew what I was doing half the time, but that was the game that got me into video games altogether. Unfortunately, never got to finish it back then because we gave our SNES away to our cousin, something I regret not stopping :p
The original Metroid is alright, it was original, but there were some times where it was just really hard. Starting the game with 30 health, and sometimes getting stuck down a long passage way, plus the whole labyrinth of Zebes.
Haven't played Metroid 2, save like 5 minutes on a plane. I got Super Metroid on a computer emulator, and I've replayed it at least 4 times :)
Metroid Fusion was great, but perhaps a bit too structured.
Metroid ZM, haven't played.
Metroid Prime was fantastic, I thought. Especially when you turn off the hint system, it's like Super Metroid again, in terms of exploration.
Metroid Prime 2 was good, but not as good, only because there was too much emphasis on the Light/Dark worlds.
Haven't got a Wii for Corruption yet :(

Overall, I just looooove the Metroid games :) Oh, and on Super Smash Bros. Melee, in 1 v 1 matches, I very often win with Samus :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)