Methods for develpoing your maths skill (1 Viewer)

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I got my report, all is very good but i really want to increase my maths mark.

I am ranked 16th out of 100 or so people (Includes ext 1 and 2) but i want to lift my marks.

How do you guys develope your maths skills

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
inb4 Spiralflex

Try and actually understand the thought process behind everything you do. Maths requires understanding to adapt your knowledge to those harder questions (which are probably only the main ones you find difficult considering your rank).

Also, practice, practice, practice!!

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Don't treat it as a rote learning subject, understand the theory behind what you are doing instead of just remembering formulas etc.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Read over the stuff you're covering in class beforehand. Don't go hard out and learn 2 weeks ahead of everyone else, just make sure you understand the basics before you do it in class.

Don't do the homework if you feel you understand something sufficiently (I never did any calculus homework and minimal locus homework) - You don't have enough time to be doing stuff you don't need to be doing. However, if you don't get a concept, keep doing more problems until you get it.

If you're struggling on a question (10-15 minutes on the one question), skip it and ask for help in class the next day. Again, not enough time.

In regards to actually doing exams, do as many past papers as you can. BUT MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BEFOREHAND. There's no point practising exam technique if you don't understand what you're being assessed on.

Personally, I find watching lecture style videos helpful with regards to understand concepts - I use Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org) and http://www.slideshare.net/nsimmons which is presentations uploaded by a 4 unit teacher from baulko. However, you might prefer just reading the textbook or your own notes, it's up to you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)