Merits of Melbourne Uni (1 Viewer)

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
RogueAcademic said:
JD subjects are regarded as postgrad subjects though. Is it speculation or are serious discussions in the works regarding integrating the JD and LLB program during the LLB's final years?
I think they said something about letting us do JD subjects because the range of optional subjects would be smaller than normal by the end of our degree - they wouldn't want to have duplicate subjects for the two courses, that kind of thing, so they'd make an exception for the last of the undergrads and admit us into postgrad subjects.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Strawbaby said:
I think they said something about letting us do JD subjects because the range of optional subjects would be smaller than normal by the end of our degree - they wouldn't want to have duplicate subjects for the two courses, that kind of thing, so they'd make an exception for the last of the undergrads and admit us into postgrad subjects.
Hmm interesting. Obviously it would be an advantage for the final LLB students to have access to JD subjects if their pool of LLB subs are reduced. But on the other hand, could it also be a disadvantage for the LLB students since all JD students are postgrad students who already have past degree(s), may already be professionals, life experience etc. The workload and teaching style in JD subjs are different from that in LLB as far as I know.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Omnidragon said:
This is a feudal society and the Melbourne Model just adds to that. Basically, this new model will work like this.

Rich kids living in traditional eastern suburbs (such as Toorak, Canterbury etc) will go to prestigious private schools in the east which cost $15,000 p.a (e.g. Scotch College, Melbourne Grammar). The schools there will have a median ENTER (UAI-equivalent) of 95 and some 8% of their students will score over 99. These kids will enter Melbourne University and complete their basic degree, drinking latte at the Law School's Brunetti Cafeteria everyday and partying at Prince in St. Kilda at nightfall. After undergraduate, they'll pay $40,000 p.a upfront to complete their J.D. They'll go practise law at Mallesons or Allens and continue raising kids in the eastern surburbs.

Access to education and concepts of an egalitarian society have been out of the door for many years. Melbourne University and Monash University are venues almost exclusively made up of a handful of demographics.

Congratulations on the Melbourne Model for taking feudalism to the next stage.
You mean Freehills not Allens.

OliverHolmes

HSC
N/A
GenForShort said:
I can't speak for Melbourne Uni, but Monash students seem to come from VERY varied backgrounds. I study law, I lived out near Lilydale and I went to a public school (five, actually)- and I don't think I'm some freaky outlier.
I'm in almost exactly the same situation as you (geographically and educationally), and I often feel VERY different to other law students at Monash.

In one of our 1st year compulsory units, the lecturer asked the students who were educated in public schools to raise their hand. Out of a lecture theatre of approx. 60 students, 3 students raised their hands...

Inequitable access to quality education in Australia assists in reproducing class privelege generationally - and you can see it first hand in law and medicine classes.

Omnidragon's post above is absolutely spot on.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
OliverHolmes said:
Out of a lecture theatre of approx. 60 students, 3 students raised their hands...
3 honest souls, I would imagine. The other public-schooled students amongst the other 57 students are already trying to hide their stripes perhaps.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
melbourne uni is ranked 2nd in australia, after the australian national university in canberra, so there's great credibility behind it! but yes, la trobe & monash are both fantastic also. beats sydney definitely!

Season

HSC
I think any uni that turns Nursing into a postgraduate degree is stupid...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)