Mentoring (1 Viewer)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I just got sent an e-mail inquiring about whether I wished to become a mentor and I was just wondering a couple of things...:

*How much training do you get exactly? (I wasn't/won't be on campus a whole lot so I don't know all the buildings and services inside out.)
*How much time did you have to put into the mentoring thing? I know I didn't spend a whole lot of time chatting to my original mentor for advice - is that standard?

Thanks anyone who can fill me in.:)

X

xeuyrawp

kami said:
I just got sent an e-mail inquiring about whether I wished to become a mentor and I was just wondering a couple of things...:

*How much training do you get exactly?
You get a day's training, which happens around mid Feb. Basically, the leaders talk with you and explain what's expected from you as a mentor. It's more building on what you know as a student, rather than telling you everything to do and say.

(I wasn't/won't be on campus a whole lot so I don't know all the buildings and services inside out.)
Hmm, I'll be honest and say that that's difficult. You're expected to give a campus tour, which has designated stops - you need to know where those are, especially consider that your tour will change a bit. You're also going to get a lot of questions regarding where everything is. I think it's obligatory to *constantly* say to them 'Okay, well we're now at x, how do we get to y?' - if you constantly orientate people, the figure out everything much quicker.

*How much time did you have to put into the mentoring thing? I know I didn't spend a whole lot of time chatting to my original mentor for advice - is that standard?
There's the day of training, the orientation day itself, and then responding to emails. If you email a mentee group of about 15, you'll get maybe 5-10 emails to answer from about 3-5 people. Their questions are usually very simple to answer... Just looking through my emails, I've things like 'What's reserve in the library?', 'Do I need to go to all the tutorials?', etc. Mostly things that I went over about 5 times during the day - but that's the point, there's so much information that they're bound to forget half of it.

The responding of emails is pretty easy, so it's just the two days that you have to consider. I still think everybody should apply, though, we really need a lot of help. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kegs

HSC
There is a day of training in mid-february and then one day in the last week of the holidays when you mentor the new peeps. The training takes you through basic services of the uni and where everything is and also how to be a mentor. It is maybe 10 hours of time needed over the two days. I dont think it is too much.

Afterwards, I havent had a student ask me for help or anything at all. We try to keep in contact with the new students for 6 weeks. I see them around campus and ask how they are going, but they never really need to ask anything. I think it is normal for students not to ask anything. I am sure that some do, and I would be happy if they did, but not many do. Thats what I think anyway. There are plenty of other mentors out there. What do you guys think?

Edit: I cant believe I typed so slow that Pwar beat me on the reply. And with a much better and more comprehensive answer too! Not fair...

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
My mentoring style is pretty chatty! lol. Facilitating initial discussion aside (which can be difficult) I normally get a lot of questions on the mentoring day, then one or two emails after that. Time-wise, mentoring doesn't require very much aside from the training days + orientation day.

I don't know why post-orientation contact seems to not happen very much. I was one of those mentees that bonded really closely with their mentor - we did subjects together, I went to her 21st, heck I even talked to them on the phone today lol - although in my defence, I made an effort on orientation day to be friendly and outgoing. I guess it's a two-way street.

Bonding aside, it could also be because us mentors are trained to give a really in-depth tour.

kami said:
How much training do you get exactly? (I wasn't/won't be on campus a whole lot so I don't know all the buildings and services inside out.)
A lot of the training is based around group-orientated communication/games, and a general "how to"/"here's a list of things we want you to do on orientation day" (they won't tell you what to say). They will tell you where to go and make sure every mentor has a map, however it is assumed knowledge that you have a fairly good working knowledge of the campus and its services (not to mention particulars about your division). On training day, Sandy pretty much just says stuff like "When you take them to the SES building, make sure you show them where all the forms are and explain how to apply for Parking Permits and what not, and all that kind of stuff"

Now, it doesn't mean you have to know MQ upside down and inside out (I belong in this category, lol) but you have to remember that the mentees have already got a map, so they know how to find their way around, even though you'll take them on a tour anyway. What they really want/need to know is how to best adapt to uni life. If you weren't/aren't on campus very often, then this could be a problem area...

Just to add to what Rob has said - in addition to knowing where stuff is, you will be expected to answer any and all questions about it (this isn't really covered in training - you're on your own here). Personally, I like to run off a list of possible scenarios and what to do in really weird situations (like what to do if you can't remember your tutor's name/room, or the stapler has gone missing! lol). More typical examples are mentees wanting to know where Mac Centre is, how to get to it, how long the walk takes etc, or best times/places to park and what to do if they can't find parking on-campus, where the parking ticket machines are and so on. A lot of the things you talk about on Orientation Day will be based on personal experiences/knowledge you picked up from roughing it as a student.

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Hmm, I think I can cope with the general 'where is building E or X etc.' though as has been said they'd already have a map. I'd be fine with stuff regarding MQ centre as well. I do worry about the more specific things which I wouldn't even realise I'd need to know.

And alot of stuff like tutorial attendance, getting to know people, using the library etc. are fairly easy to deal with as they're more about getting used to uni life in general and I've got that experience as both a part timer at MQ and a full timer at UTS. I'm more worried about stuff like 'what are the campus cousellors like at MQ?' or 'is special consideration hard to get?' or 'what'r the recreational events at MQ like?' type questions as I don't have as much experience with that at MQ - I can just see myself giving answers like 'I dunno about MQ but at UTS...'. I also know next to nothing about parking permits as I don't have a car anyway so I never looked into it:/.

Sorry for the silly questions, its just my orientation day wasn't exactly memorable...:eek:

Last edited:

pb

Inside The Hollow
HSC
well it's good you want to help make someone else's orientation day memorable! o-day was fun. i liked my lil o-crew. one girl in my group actually asked for me to be her mentor and i was like aww i'm loved lol. and one guy in my group was from my school so i was like yayy hs reunion.
but i don't really see any of them anymore which shows how crap i am of an after-mentor lol.

but sorry that didn't answer any of ur questions so...
*How much training do you get exactly?
1 day of training which starts at lik 9am so i was sooperdooper tired... and that consisted of learning how to do getting to know you type games and brainstorming other ways to get to know you. and those minty lollies.
*How much time did you have to put into the mentoring thing?
you show them around the important places and tell them what they'd wanna know.
for my group in the end, we walked around EVERYWHERE trying to get to the gym through the construction... and i was like.. let's show them eric and i dunno why but my mentor partner was really determined to get to the gym =| ... and we ended up taking really long getting to eric.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
have any of you received any info about mentoring at all? the last email i recieved from sandie was about emailing our second semester mentees...???

do we have to re-do an interview? meet up some time? etc?

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
anyone here a mentor leader?

damn theres guna be this 1hr/wk thing in the old eric room -_-

HSC
N/A
Sandie said she's want to interview those who applied for team leader in late Oct/early Nov, but I haven't heard anything from her yet. Have been told by a friend that she's only going to interview those she doesn't know... (which knocks out basically all the MQ BOSers mentors, memorable people that we are ;)

I keep saying I'll email her back but I keep forgetting. I could say the same about my internship :(

On a side note, since the email for second semester mentoring, I haven't received any emails I didn't initiate either. Maybe it's some standardised "mail to everyone on campus" email that went through student mail? heh, I should check that lol...

HSC
N/A
:: ck :: said:
anyone here a mentor leader?

damn theres guna be this 1hr/wk thing in the old eric room -_-
I'm sure there's one or two around the forums somewhere. Ivy? Skittled? I think Phil's a leader...

Me, Rob and Mike are applying this year for leadership that I know of.

Sandie said:
Will be in touch soon as I like to interview everyone.
Regards
Sndie
waaaaah Sandie doesn't liiikkkeeee meeee! *repetition of pre-mid-semester-mentoring-scenario*

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
lol

yeh i had my interview last week.. wasn't exactly an interview it was more of a 'this is what you will be doing' thing and giving feedback from mentoring earlier this year

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
When do normal mentor-wannabes get information on whether they are accepted or not?

HSC
N/A
hrm I can't really remember :/ I think it's around end of semester though... like late Nov/Dec.

Kegs

HSC
Sandy is till waiting for people to apply. So far there arent many ICS mentors! Can confirm that Sandy will not be interviewing leaders if she already knows who you are and what you are capable of. I think it is just so she can get to know everyone a bit better who will be out there on the front line leading the peeps on o-day.

If you have been a mentor already, just drop by rm222, lincoln building and grab a form to re-apply. I think they are a bit shorter than the original yellow forms.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Kegs said:
Sandy is till waiting for people to apply. So far there arent many ICS mentors! Can confirm that Sandy will not be interviewing leaders if she already knows who you are and what you are capable of. I think it is just so she can get to know everyone a bit better who will be out there on the front line leading the peeps on o-day.

If you have been a mentor already, just drop by rm222, lincoln building and grab a form to re-apply. I think they are a bit shorter than the original yellow forms.
There are other forms besides the yellow ones? i went there and could only see the yellow forms on the desk. i took one, but if theres a different one im suppose to fill out, then i better go back on monday.

I feel so out of the loop in terms of mentoring. I cant wait until exams are other so i can focus on these kinds of things again.

Kegs

HSC
Dear Ben
I am pleased to inform you that you have been selected as a mentor leader for 2007.
:) Yay! Together again, Rob. I must also encourage all ICS peeps to be mentors. We need you!

HSC
N/A
Dear Lynn
I am pleased to inform you that you have been selected as a mentor leader for 2007.
:) whoo... the fairy is back for another year (but in blue!)

oh and scmp still needs more mentors too, people!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Dear Michael
I am pleased to inform you that you have been reported to the police for indecent exposure and battery.
:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)