Mendels results (1 Viewer)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Does anyone know ways that Mendel could have improved the reliability and accuracy of his results cause i have no clue?

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
he could always have used more plants and repeated his experiments. he could have controlled his variables better with isolation of plants and controlling the environment of the plants etc. stuff like that

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
yea, u can always increase the number of exp u r doing to increase ur reliability ... aprt from that, mendel has done a fairly good job to keep his result reliable (ie, cuttin the male part of lfowers to prevent self pollunation, keep in no wind place to disallow the wild pollens to contaminate his results...

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
timmys random advice: whenever discussin mendel, use the word "factors". he had no notion of the gene in his days, only he coined the word factors; which is analogous to the modern definietion of gene. be careful:)

TheKing

yeah all i can think of is repetitions. he chose only one characteristic, got lucky in the fact that the characterisics were not carried only the same chromosome and he self pollinated plants to make sure that they were pure breeds. theres nothing much you can do, he did everything to make sure that he results were valid although they were not recognised till much later as a result of sutton and boveri's work.

TheKing

for meiosis:
-the stage in which crossing over occurs and a pair of chromosomes cross over and exchange chromotids...
-Random assortment of chromosomes into gamete.(thinik that is the correct term.
and after meiosis:
- as form haploid daught cells are form, two unique gamete(sperm and egg) meet and fertillise to form a zygote.

plants are a lot moreclomplicated in there reproduction(fertillisation) stage... interesting to look at if you have time, although irrelevant to the syllabus

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)