mendel (1 Viewer)

bobbie212

hey peeps just abit confused with aspects of mendels experimental technique was lead to his sucess. It is says he cut of the stamens from one of his breeding pairs to ensure self pollination did not occur and the pollinated them by hand. This would then mean that stamens are only on one of the plants, i.e the female plant?? is there even such thing as a female plant

Sophie777

What are you talking about?

You are getting yourself confused.

You don't need to explain that, just say he controlled crosses by pollinating by hand.

bobbie212

basically wat im askin is why didnt he cut the stamens of both breeding plants, only one.

fuck im gettin really confused with this section. Can some1 tell me if this makes sense. when mendel bred short plants with tall plants the next generation turned out tall. This shows that the dominant allele is (T) for tall as it is expressed in the phenotype. The reccesive allele is (t) for short. would this mean the gene is just height?

fuck!

Mendo

HSC
I think your confusing everyone...

After breeding pea plants together to create pure breed i.e tall plants and shot plants. He crossed the tall plants with the short plants. All offspring were tall- ratio of 1:1:1:1. This sort of cross is known as a monohybrid cross.

He then crossed the F1 generations together and found that 75% were tall, and 25% were short- ratio of 3:1. At this time, common belief was that an offspring was a mixture of the characteristics of the parents (so that in this case the outcome expected may have been pea plants of intermediate height)

Mendel conluded that:
Characteristics were not blended but were distinct units.
Each characteristic was controlled by a pair of factors.
Factors separted on the formation of sex cells (this is known as mendels law of segregation)
At fertilisation offsrping recieve 1 factor each parent randomly (this is known as Mendels law of Independent Assortment)
One factor will be Dominant (tall) and one factor will be recessice (short)
We know now Mendels factors to be alleles.

The reasons for Mendels success can be atrributed to
His accurate record
He used easily distinguishable traits
He controlled pollination- hand pollination and removal of stamens to prevent self pollination.
He analysed his results mathematically
Used large numbers of plants and repeated the experiments

I hope the answer to your question is in there somewhere.

malkin86

HSC
if you remember back to yr 11, flowers have both male and female sexual organs. What mendel did was he cut off all the plants' male sexual organs so that he could control which plants were fertilised by which other plants.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
abit more to add to the techniques lead to his success: he conducted his experiment closed to external (wind) etc, so that pollonation do not occur by wind....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)