memorising essays (1 Viewer)

hellohowslife

HSC
Anyone have tips for memorising lots of essays for English, eco, legal maybe business before HSC?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Memorising essay responses for Business Studies may not be an effective way of preparing, particularly for Section IV. The difference between Business Studies and other subjects for which memorising would be a more effective approach is that similar questions are rarely (if ever) included in consecutive Business Studies HSC exams, particularly Section IV questions, meaning you will likely not benefit from memorising essays as questions will have different requirements in terms of response each year. Based on this, your main focus should be to ensure you have a thorough knowledge of and are able to effectively manipulate the content and, in the case of Section IV, ensure that you are highly familiar with case study material relevant to each topic, so that you are able to write a high quality response.

Hiheyhello

HSC
i wouldn’t reccomend memorising full essays for eco….
there’s deffos more than 10 topics that can be questioned

i feel like itd be less efficient because all the content crosses over in terms of MC, SA and the essay, like you don’t wanna be doubling up.

but 100% memorise for english - you could get away with learning four tops

also

how much experience have you had with memorising essays? opt with what’s worked well in the past

Last edited:

notme123

HSC
ive memorised 3 for english plus a few extra paragraphs and on my way to memorising a few mod c things. the best way to memorise is read it a few times then recite it off by heart. its not the most efficient but its reliable.

HSC
Do you think if I do this (use ANKI etc.) everyday from now until the HSC, I'll be able to memorise around 10 essays per subject?
Don't recommend using anki now, you'll be missing out on the benefits of it (which are more long term). Setting up the cards would take quite a bit of time as well

hellohowslife

HSC
ive memorised 3 for english plus a few extra paragraphs and on my way to memorising a few mod c things. the best way to memorise is read it a few times then recite it off by heart. its not the most efficient but its reliable.
How do you ensure that if you memorise them now, you won't forget by the HSC?

notme123

HSC
How do you ensure that if you memorise them now, you won't forget by the HSC?
practice them every now and then. like just pull up a practice paper every few days and practice adapting under time constraints. tbh it kinda just sticks at some point

hellohowslife

HSC
Thanks, also this is kinda off-topic but does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a discursive for MOD C (English Advanced) that is easily adaptable? Would it be best to make it about the power of language/words/literature of evoking emotion etc.?

MrSir

HSC
N/A
Anyone have tips for memorising lots of essays for English, eco, legal maybe business before HSC?
As an English teacher , now retired, it is important to note that the HSC is designed so students DONT remember essays . Your essay is marked by the quality of your introduction anyway so if you can memorise an introduction you should be able to remember that because you will most likely use 70% of the same introduction each time anyway . So what I’m saying is tbis: of the 4 to 5 sentences that remain your intro you could expect to use two of them as they are . Most parts of the other and then you only need to compose one sentence , if that , when you compose on the spot

Hiheyhello

HSC
hmmm, i’ve been able to memorise essays the night before under sheer pressure. the technique that i’ve used is simply reading one line, then covering it an reciting. then i do the same with the next line. then i read both linked consecutively. rinse and repeat.
never break the chain.
takes a while but it works in rlly short periods of time. then i’d suggest after doing that (the hardest part), you just write the essay by heart on auto-pilot every day after so that you don’t forget it.

may22

HSC
Uhhhhh no.
Your intro gives your marker an idea of which band you're likely to be sitting at before they read the rest of your essay. A very strong intro suggests a well-written, band 6 worthy essay, whereas a weaker intro...not as high.
The introduction literally lays out the rest of your essay anyway; you have your main thesis, you mention your texts, and you have the points that you are going to argue. So it makes sense that your intro is the 'first impression' your marker gets of your essay, and gives them an idea of what level essay they are looking at

hiiitsme

HSC
tbf i dont think hsc markers read the whole essay i reckon some skip half way through with a good idea of the students aptitude and get scripts done. its marked twice anyway so if theres any glaring issue it will be noticed.
Dafuq I’ve literally been told to do like 50 word intros that just have the thesis then general ideas of the topic sentence. Is that bad advice?

Hiheyhello

HSC
tbf i dont think hsc markers read the whole essay i reckon some skip half way through with a good idea of the students aptitude and get scripts done. its marked twice anyway so if theres any glaring issue it will be noticed.
whaaaat
i guess i’ve been wasting time then by scrutinising over every word and detail that i write omg

may22

HSC
Dafuq I’ve literally been told to do like 50 word intros that just have the thesis then general ideas of the topic sentence. Is that bad advice?
50 words.....? I've been told it should be around 100-150. 50 seems insufficient to be effective

notme123

HSC
whaaaat
i guess i’ve been wasting time then by scrutinising over every word and detail that i write omg
idk if its a fact im just theorising because i dont think a marker is gonna suppress your marks because your last paragraph wasnt the most detailed in the world. if its clear youve got the analytical capability, that should be enough to suffice imo

if it is true i wouldnt become complacent because you may get one really harsh marker who wants to ruin peoples days

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)