• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Memorising essay (1 Viewer)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
lol well sure preparing an essay isnt the point of the course, but ppl gotta do what they can to get the marks in the easiest possible. there is no point in arguing that it takes away the beauty of english, because the whole state is forced to do the f**king course. it's not like we have the option to drop the damn subject. so we must as well do what we can in the least time to get the marks.
Arguably the fact that there is little as 40 minutes to write a full in depth essay in essence takes away whatever beauty literature studies had.

I don't deny that for some other people memorising essays may be the best way to get marks, but I can't see it working for me, granted I haven't tried it before, but my memory isn't the best and its much easier for me to simply memorise my evidence then go over some ideas that I may have, and then write whatever I think works on the day.

Writing a pre-planned essay sometimes might not be tight on the question or answer it directly. Simply spilling out what you know about a text on the day without specific reference to a proper thesis won't go very well.

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
Arguably the fact that there is little as 40 minutes to write a full in depth essay in essence takes away whatever beauty literature studies had.

I don't deny that for some other people memorising essays may be the best way to get marks, but I can't see it working for me, granted I haven't tried it before, but my memory isn't the best and its much easier for me to simply memorise my evidence then go over some ideas that I may have, and then write whatever I think works on the day.

Writing a pre-planned essay sometimes might not be tight on the question or answer it directly. Simply spilling out what you know about a text on the day without specific reference to a proper thesis won't go very well.
repped

Makematics

HSC

personally i havent memorised an essay before either, but that is because i am lazy when it comes to english and dont like the english course. if i was more bothered, i would do practice essays to train my brain on how to quickly synthesise a thesis under time pressure, although i have nothing against people memorising essays.

Lina3

HSC
Memorise themes and quotes.

That is all.
+ 1

This is exactly what I meant. Of course you need to memorize SOMETHING (ie quotes, techniques, insights, themes etc) but I have seen many people memorizing essays to the point where they are able to recite it word for word at the drop of a hat, but when it comes time to do exams they struggle because of how inflexible this makes them. I only mean what I say in the best possible way. I learned this from making that mistake myself

Woah. This is beyond the scope of the topic. In constructing a generic essay, one is engaging with the text, supporting notions of belonging (identity, time etc...) with textual evidence. To say that it's a disservice is unreasonable because it allows the student to generate ideas which could help them in the exam, ideas relative to belonging that simply can't be derived during the exam time because English is one of those subjects where you need practically every second to write. You can't just sit there for 10 minutes thinking of what quote to use, or trying to think of how identity relates to a certain aspect of belonging. A generic essay allows you to have the 'meat' of your essay, altering the topic/concluding sentence and the thesis to accord with the question.

The bold, however, I will agree with ONLY because they could specify a poem which you haven't prepared for i.e. it wasn't apart of the original generic, which hence makes you unprepared.

If memorizing an essay is a disservice, then sure, the state ranking kid sure did a great disservice to himself by memorizing the essay and topping the state...
Depends on your definition of 'generic'. I believe an essay needs a question or some sort of focus for its ideas to be organized and fluent, which is what the markers are looking for. However, such an essay cannot exactly be called generic. If what you mean is just sitting down and writing an essay on any sort of belonging shown in your texts, then your work is at a high risk of being disorganized. Personally, I think remembering any sort of essay is a waste of time. For me doing practice papers, knowing the text well and memorizing a few key quotes and ideas is the way to go but I know everyone is different. Sure, if the kid who topped the state memorized their essay, good on him/her they have obviously found what works for them and have used that to the best possible advantage.

Last edited:

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
+ 1

This is exactly what I meant. Of course you need to memorize SOMETHING (ie quotes, techniques, insights, themes etc) but I have seen many people memorizing essays to the point where they are able to recite it word for word at the drop of a hat, but when it comes time to do exams they struggle because of how inflexible this makes them. I only mean what I say in the best possible way. I learned this from making that mistake myself

Depends on your definition of 'generic'. I believe an essay needs a question or some sort of focus for its ideas to be organized and fluent, which is what the markers are looking for. However, such an essay cannot exactly be called generic. If what you mean is just sitting down and writing an essay on any sort of belonging shown in your texts, then your work is at a high risk of being disorganized. Personally, I think remembering any sort of essay is a waste of time. For me doing practice papers, knowing the text well and memorizing a few key quotes and ideas is the way to go but I know everyone is different. Sure, if the kid who topped the state memorized their essay, good on him/her they have obviously found what works for them and have used that to the best possible advantage.
Perhaps it would've been fitting to mention it before, but there's always a certain art which is attributed to making a generic essay. If one is thinking of a question, as they're writing a "generic" essay, then that would naturally restrict the applicability of the essay to a wider range of questions. There is no doubt that a student should always know a text well if they want to do VERY well, but memorizing an essay creates a solid trajectory for a good mark, but it again depends on the way that it's constructed in. If I'm going to spend half an hour the night before looking at a past paper question, making a jumbled and disorganized essay in response to that question and then memorize it; yes, I'm screwed. As oppose to making an essay over a few days which addresses key areas of the rubric (i.e. identity, impermanence of belonging, enrichment), it will allow the student to alter their thesis and topic sentences, and still regurgitate the essay with a lot of the rubric being assessed. Unfortunately, we just don't have enough time in the English exam to sit there and ask ourselves "have I explored the relevant areas of the rubric?" because I can guarantee by the time you think of what to write (i.e. something good), the marker will say "pens down".

I don't know about anyone else, but the exam pressure of the day is enough. I don't want to go in the exam with no essay thought out, when I only have 40 minutes to write the darn thing. Especially considering my school does prayer and marches us in the exam hall like we're doing a life/death exam, it would be unreasonable to expect that I'd write with the same amount of nuance and sophistication, as oppose to me sitting at home on my throne, drinking wine and eating steak - where the comfort allows me to write a sophisticated essay that explores key areas of the rubric.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
If memorizing an essay is a disservice, then sure, the state ranking kid sure did a great disservice to himself by memorizing the essay and topping the state...
To be fair, I'm not sure about last year, but the person who topped the state in 2011 didn't memorise essays.

Makematics

HSC
To be fair, I'm not sure about last year, but the person who topped the state in 2011 didn't memorise essays.
most state rankers dont i would think. i think spiritual was just saying that it is possible to do well by memorising.

Siddy123

HSC
It's no mystery that something you produce in a couple of days of solid work and editing > an essay produced in 40 mins under exam pressure.
In terms of actual memorising, do what you feel is best given the time left till your exams.
I was planning on memorising essays but left my prep too late and dont have time to write generic essays+ memorise them. So I'm just going to revise content/memorise quotes and techniques and mentally make a thesis and a plan for a few past paper questions before the exam.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
It is possible that the state rankers were lucky that the essay they made coincides precisely with the 2010 HSC question.

It is good to know your text really well, and know the context and background well, then make the thesis on the day during reading time, then make your poitns based off of your knowledge of the text and thesis

Pre-planned essays may be well written but the main problem is that it might not answer the question well enough.

Bobbo1

HSC
It is possible that the state rankers were lucky that the essay they made coincides precisely with the 2010 HSC question.

It is good to know your text really well, and know the context and background well, then make the thesis on the day during reading time, then make your poitns based off of your knowledge of the text and thesis

Pre-planned essays may be well written but the main problem is that it might not answer the question well enough.
Wouldn't say it's just luck. Most likely that they have gone through the rubric, identified all the 'main' possible questions which may come up (there's probably around 4-5 solid big idea sort of questions they can ask here). Then they just practice their generic essay numerous times answering these sort of questions and on the day it'll be some variation of what they have already practiced making their job very easy. Coming up with a brilliant and sustained thesis on the spot, under exam pressure, in 40 minutes and possibly after writing a couple of essays already is extremely risky!

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
+ 1

My mate today got up 5 completely random AOS Belonging essay questions that he had from his tutoring at North Shore.

I was able to provide him with a general thesis and reword the question so that it suited my themes each time.

If you're good enough at English (not trying to sound arrogant) but if you can memorise your themes and quotes then you're set. Just change your analysis to suit the question. Keep thinking that you have to answer the question.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Good old memorisation of entire essays vs techniques/quotes debate. I can't be bothered reading the above responses, but here are my two cents as a student who graduated 1st in Advanced and Extension from a selective school with a 96 and 49 after memorising all my essays.

The fact of the matter is that to achieve 18+/20 and 13.5+/15 your essay needs to be perfectly relevant, sophisticated, coherent, and synthesised, which you are expected to be able to exercise on the exam day, unfortunately making it a gifted talent that you either have, or don't have. Memorising a pre-written generic essay that has been proof-read meticulously by not just yourself, but teachers, tutors, and high ranking peers as well, grants you the ability to have sentence structures that are already sophisticated, coherent, and synthesised , meaning that you are more or less on par with students that have the talent of writing. Of course, that leaves the significant issue of being relevant, which is where many students fail in regards to memorising essays. What this means is that your essay needs to be readily adaptable, which actually isn't terribly difficult. The concept of "curve-ball questions" has always annoyed me because in my honest opinion, there are no such things as "curve-ball questions". It is a term students apply to a question they're limited knowledge/understanding of the texts, modules, syllabus, and concepts is unable to answer. There has not been a single question in the past papers that I have seen which I could not answer even without having read Romulus, My Father and Frankenstein (I got half way through RMF and didn't bother opening Frankenstein at all) because I took the time to read the syllabus and understand it fully. Admittedly, some of my internal questions have been just a little more challenging than the usual, e.g. something along the lines of "Write a set of diary entries that express your understanding of Hamlet as the play progressed and your understanding, including its influences, evolved." (Obviously the question is asking for something simple, but the set of diary entries in terms of how to structure each entry was a little more challenging. However, I was the only student to receive 20/20 for this question too, with teachers saying my understanding of the play was clearly excellently developed and insightful.) Where I am going with this is that for relevance to be achieved a sophisticated understanding of the texts, modules, syllabus points, and concepts must be acquired by the student. This is where having extra quotes and techniques come in handy, but what is also interesting is that most of the time, the pre-written essay is drafted over and over again, with points, quotes and techniques changing each draft. This means that you actually have a bank of extra quotes and their respective techniques already, just not written into the specific pre-written essay, but if your essay is indeed adaptable then alternating shouldn't be too difficult, and of course, as your essay already has structures for being sophisticated, coherent, and synthesised, you're easily in line for a high A range response. Other benefits of memorising your essay involve feeling more prepared and therefore less stressed on the exam day, and before people say "what if you have a mental blank", well that's a risk everyone memorising has already considered and yet they have still chosen to memorise, and I could just as easily say "well what if you forget your quotes and techniques" or "what if you don't know how to structure your sentences coherently".

Don't get me wrong, I'm a strong believer that memorising quotes and techniques is the way English is supposed to be studied, but that means only the next J. R Tolkein, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Tim Winton, or Jane Austen can be a high band 6 achiever. Memorising essays helps to put you on par with students like these, and at the very least you have a response you can sort of limp through adapting in the exam and get a 14+ (remembering the state average for most modules sit around 12/20 and 9/15) on harder questions.

Quite frankly a student who memorises and only gets a 16 is someone who hasn't done it right because they lack an understanding of the module and text. There is more to memorising essays than word-for-word regurgitation, contrary to what many criticisers of memorisation seem to believe. It will give you a competitive edge, but that's still only if you're a competent English student.

Last edited:

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Good old memorisation of entire essays vs techniques/quotes debate. I can't be bothered reading the above responses, but here are my two cents as a student who graduated 1st in Advanced and Extension from a selective school with a 96 and 49 after memorising all my essays.

The fact of the matter is that to achieve 18+/20 and 13.5+/15 your essay needs to be perfectly relevant, sophisticated, coherent, and synthesised, which you are expected to be able to exercise on the exam day, unfortunately making it a gifted talent that you either have, or don't have. Memorising a pre-written generic essay that has been proof-read meticulously by not just yourself, but teachers, tutors, and high ranking peers as well, grants you the ability to have sentence structures that are already sophisticated, coherent, and synthesised , meaning that you are more or less on par with students that have the talent of writing. Of course, that leaves the significant issue of being relevant, which is where many students fail in regards to memorising essays. What this means is that your essay needs to be readily adaptable, which actually isn't terribly difficult. The concept of "curve-ball questions" has always annoyed me because in my honest opinion, there are no such things as "curve-ball questions". It is a term students apply to a question they're limited knowledge/understanding of the texts, modules, syllabus, and concepts is unable to answer. There has not been a single question in the past papers that I have seen which I could not answer even without having read Romulus, My Father and Frankenstein (I got half way through RMF and didn't bother opening Frankenstein at all) because I took the time to read the syllabus and understand it fully. Admittedly, some of my internal questions have been just a little more challenging than the usual, e.g. something along the lines of "Write a set of diary entries that express your understanding of Hamlet as the play progressed and your understanding, including its influences, evolved." (Obviously the question is asking for something simple, but the set of diary entries in terms of how to structure each entry was a little more challenging. However, I was the only student to receive 20/20 for this question too, with teachers saying my understanding of the play was clearly excellently developed and insightful.) Where I am going with this is that for relevance to be achieved a sophisticated understanding of the texts, modules, syllabus points, and concepts must be acquired by the student. This is where having extra quotes and techniques come in handy, but what is also interesting is that most of the time, the pre-written essay is drafted over and over again, with points, quotes and techniques changing each draft. This means that you actually have a bank of extra quotes and their respective techniques already, just not written into the specific pre-written essay, but if your essay is indeed adaptable then alternating shouldn't be too difficult, and of course, as your essay already has structures for being sophisticated, coherent, and synthesised, you're easily in line for a high A range response. Other benefits of memorising your essay involve feeling more prepared and therefore less stressed on the exam day, and before people say "what if you have a mental blank", well that's a risk everyone memorising has already considered and yet they have still chosen to memorise, and I could just as easily say "well what if you forget your quotes and techniques" or "what if you don't know how to structure your sentences coherently".

Don't get me wrong, I'm a strong believer that memorising quotes and techniques is the way English is supposed to be studied, but that means only the next J. R Tolkein, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Tim Winton, or Jane Austen can be a high band 6 achiever. Memorising essays helps to put you on par with students like these, and at the very least you have a response you can sort of limp through adapting in the exam and get a 14+ (remembering the state average for most modules sit around 12/20 and 9/15) on harder questions.

Quite frankly a student who memorises and only gets a 16 is someone who hasn't done it right because the lack an understanding of the module and text.
Simply outstanding.

I think you're the next Tim Winton. :haha:

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Simply outstanding.

I think you're the next Tim Winton. :haha:
Hahaha, thank you!

I've received that comment so many times before and I've tried to write but my limited imagination makes it terribly difficult haha :haha:

Makematics

HSC
lol we had a tim winton extract as one of our texts in section I for belonging. just sayin'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)