memoriae damnatio (1 Viewer)

Meegie_g

any info on this please? I can't find any of my notes on it and can't really remember what it actually stands for lol... though i'm pretty sure it's about how under thutmose III's reign, their was an attempt to obliterate hatshepsut's memory... is that right? anyway, i'll obviously need more info than that. General overviews, sources, quotes, anything would help. I know it's last minute but hey I might get something at least :)

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
it refers to how an individual gets frustrated in an ancient history exam, because he/she can't remember quotes/timeline/etc...hence resulting in an exclamation "damn!"

umm
i'm sorry, i couldnt help u.. i'm not mentally well.

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
I think it's damnatio memoriai not the other way round...yeah you're right it refers to the destruction of the memory of an Egyptian person, in the case of this historical period, Hatshepsut. The Egyptians believed that in order to live on in the afterlife, their memory had to be preserved on earth. They ensured that this happened through inscriptions, memorials, statues, etc. If their memory on earth was obliterated, their soul was too.

somechick

HSC
N/A
damnatio memorae is the erasure of a person's name in the record of history. the egyptians regarded this as the ultimate death like sentence because erasure of a name meant erasure of your whole existence in life. in afterlife it meant that your 'ka' no longer resides with you.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
except it is now known that damnatio memorae of hatshepsut did not technically take place as none of her ka images were destroyed. also realise that it is now thought that a substantial part of the 'damnatio memorae' that was thought to have taken place under thut III is now believed to have been done in the rammesside period, possibly by Seti I or his son Ramses II

Cab31

HSC
yeh silvermoon is right. The incomplete nature of Hathsepsut being erased from history indicates that it did not technically take place - particuarly under the reign of one pharaoh. For example, some very public displays of Hatshepsut have remained whilst others in less accessible places have been destroyed. The debate on the subject circles largely around whther or not Thutmose III had anyting to do with the destruction of some of her monuments, and, if so, why this occured.

Kirsti

HSC
AND ALSO, IF IT DID HAPPEN IN tH iii'S REIGN, Callender (praise her and may she always live!! And write really stupid textbooks..) says it was late in his reign, AS in >yr 45, and this lopeads to other theories about it being because Th. III wanted to claim H's bulilding program as his because it outdid his own etc. (any wuestions on wot i have written submit to angelduck, as this account was hijacked.....)

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
'lopeads'??? dude - what the hell is that supposed to mean?!
anyway - yes, it could have been because of her building program; many pharaohs including hatshepsut *shock horror gasp* erased the names of their forfathers on monuments so that they could claim the recognition for the achievements of others. erasure of names does not necessarily indicate damnatio memorae

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)