memoirs of a geisha (1 Viewer)

fantasia

HSC
they've got a mix of asians in the film. Chinese, japanese, and also koreans and viets

HSC
whew! whole mix of asians there. the movie looks gr8 from what ive seen. and about that accent thing, i think it lends a kind of 'authenticity' or realism to the move if u get what i mean. if you dont, imagine the characters with american accents- the whole exotic atmosphere of the movie is lost.

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
i LOVED the book!!

so cannot wait for this movie to come out

though i am interested to see deviations from the book, i have already noticed a few subtleties in the trailer that differ from the book, one of them being the geishas hair, which in the book was classed as very important, and always done when a geisha goes out, by the professional hair dresser once a week, but in the trailer, mameha has it in a ponytail...

i think little things like that are going to detract from it, but i will wait and see...

Hanzo

HSC
Memoirs of a Geisha Movie !!!!

'Memoirs of a Geisha' gets world premiere in Japan amid cultural anxiety

The film version of the best-selling novel "Memoirs of a Geisha" was to stage its world premiere in Tokyo on Tuesday, boasting international credentials: an American director, Chinese leading actresses and a Japanese theme.

Director Rob Marshall, who won a best picture Oscar with "Chicago" in 2002, was joining his multinational cast to walk the red carpet into Tokyo's national sumo arena where the screening was scheduled.

Set to open Dec. 9 in the U.S. and Dec. 10 in Japan, the joint U.S.-Japan production is based on the novel of the same name by Arthur Golden. The book spent two years on the New York Times best-seller list and sold more than 4 million copies in English.

The cast is headed by Chinese actress Ziyi Zhang ("Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"), who plays Sayuri, the geisha of the title, and Japanese actor Ken Watanabe ("The Last Samurai") in the role of the Chairman, her secret lifelong love interest.

Other major parts are played by ethnic Chinese actresses Michelle Yeoh ("Tomorrow Never Knows") and Gong Li ("Raise the Red Lantern").

The story chronicles a young girl's rise from poverty in a Japanese fishing village to life in high society as a geisha -- a woman schooled in the art of dance, singing and conversation to be a companion for wealthy men.

The premiere was the first public look at a film that has already created an international buzz.

The movie is a model of globalization in the film business, with its crossover of East and West. Chinese actresses play Japanese geisha; California sets stand in for Kyoto teahouses; the Hollywood movie is studded with Asian actors.

With that global touch has come questions of authenticity: Can Chinese actresses accurately portray the subtleties of Japanese culture? Can an American director -- working from an American novel -- do justice to a geisha tradition that is largely misunderstood outside of Japan?

Speaking to reporters on Monday, Marshall and the cast worked to dispel some of those concerns. Marshall said he aimed to set the record straight on geisha -- who are often seen in the West as glorified prostitutes -- while Watanabe defended the abilities of his Chinese colleagues.

"I was very impressed at how dedicated they were at learning things from a different culture, and how much they enjoyed it," he said, referring to the six-week crash course in geisha culture that Zhang and the others underwent.

The book's popularity only added to the challenge for the film's makers. "It was very scary to take on a novel that was so loved by so many," Marshall said.

Three Japanese actresses played the other major female parts -- Kaori Momoi, Youki Kudoh, and Suzuka Ohgo as the young Sayuri.

"Memoirs of a Geisha" follows a long line of Japanese-themed American films, though it breaks with tradition by casting Asians in the top roles.

"The Last Samurai," for instance, drew American viewers by casting Tom Cruise as the leading man; Bill Murray's "Lost in Translation" took place in Tokyo, but the Japanese roles were reduced to a comic backdrop to the tale of two Americans. (AP)

November 29, 2005

heybraham

HSC
bubz :D said:
i'm looking forward to this

and yeah, the zhang ziyi thing... is it her mission to be in every asian arthouse film??
lol that's coz she's like the only asian that can act properly.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Looks good, the broken english may be a bit wtf, but after seeing kpop and jpop and cpop artists try and incorporate english into their songs (*shudders at baby vox's 7th album* why oh why could they just not leave it to bi-linguals like utada and melody :() its not that bad.

Ken Watanabe fucking awesome, hopefully he doesnt die in this one, fuck i hated Last Samurai ><

I

icycloud

Wow I can't wait for this movie to come out. I must admit it's a bit weird with Chinese actresses playing Japanese roles -- I'm personally alright with this but I can see many Japanese people getting offended. Nevertheless, I think Zhang Ziyi is a great actress -- her performance in "The House of Flying Daggers" was amazing!

walrusbear

HSC
early reviews of this movie have torn it to shreds :p
i've not read the book but predictable consensus is the film lacks depth and heart

transcendent

HSC
N/A
The beginning is slow, you can't really get what's going on, then it starts getting a bit better. Overall the film is okay but it's hard to understand some of what they are saying with the accents. Alot of prominent Chinese actresses: Gong Li, Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Zi Yi as well as that Wantanabe guy from The Last Samurai. The little girl is adorable. Movie's okay I guess.

HSC
transcendent said:
The beginning is slow, you can't really get what's going on, then it starts getting a bit better. Overall the film is okay but it's hard to understand some of what they are saying with the accents. Alot of prominent Chinese actresses: Gong Li, Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Zi Yi as well as that Wantanabe guy from The Last Samurai. The little girl is adorable. Movie's okay I guess.
when did you watch it? i thought its not out until the 19th.
looking 4 ward to seeing it.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Internet can get you a lot of thingz...

I'll watch it when I have the time.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
i cant wait to see this actually, does anyone want to check it out with me?

whats it rated? (ie any sexual content) because i dont like those kinda things

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
hmm i was all keen to see this movie due to the dramatic trailer ( i always get sucked in by dramatic looking trailers :eek:) but I decided to read the book first. The story is ok, I guess but it wasn't as moving as I thought it would be. In my opinion the characters are not very deep or at least, they aren't developed very far. I didn't have empathy or liking toward any single one of them :confused: Everyone has raved about the book but I'm disappointed that it didn't really touch me

Either way, I'll still see the movie for the hell of it and see how it looks on the big screen :)

Edit: I know there is alot of criticism floating about about the movie and not being an expert in Asian history myself, I found this article an informative and interesting read:

http://filmfreakcentral.net/screenreviews/memoirsofageisha.htm

Last edited:

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Reviews I've een have given this film on average, a C+.

A lot of people whom I've talked to told me that it would of been better had it been in Japanese rather American/Accented english.

AsyLum said:
Looks good, the broken english may be a bit wtf, but after seeing kpop and jpop and cpop artists try and incorporate english into their songs (*shudders at baby vox's 7th album* why oh why could they just not leave it to bi-linguals like utada and melody :() its not that bad.
Its not just in music now, spreading to soap operas and movies :|

shannY

HSC
:)This movie looks so cool, but i'm thinking of reading the book then going on with the movie. Books always have more meat to bite on=D, eg harry potter was a real let downer!..hope memoirs of a geisha equates to the book! *comes out in cinemas next thursday !!*:rolleyes:

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
I haven't read the book but I have watched the movie but I'm still a bit confused with the role of the Geisha.
My friends told me that Geishas were dancers and hostesses and not prostitutes but then why do they have to sell their virginity?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)