Medicine (2 Viewers)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Hey everybody~~
Im in year 12 at the moment and I would really appreciate if you guys could help me out here....
Well you see the problem is that I am applying to study medicine in 3 universities (UNSW, Newcastle and Monash) and I'm beginning to have very real doubts about whether I can get in, given the competition, so I'm trying to establish some sort of contigency plan.....
So I reason that if I DON'T make it, then I'll have to study some undergraduate course first. The question is...which undergraduate course is best in terms of the 'wow factor' when applying for postgrad Medicine? At the moment I am contemplating (in decreasing order of priority):
1) Medical Science/Biomed (USyd)
2) Medical Science/Chemical Engineering (Bioprocesses) (USyd)
3) Advanced Science (USyd)
4) Medical Science (UNSW)
5) Liberal Studies (Int.) (USyd) <-----the faculty says it is a great way to get into Graduate Medicine, but I'm not so sure about this
6) Advanced Science (UNSW)
Also, which uni do you guys think is better to study Medical Science at, the higher UAI cutoff at USyd for last year suggests that it's better....although this might be misleading....

Well, thank's heaps for sparing your time to help me out!! Hope to hear from you soon!

kaseita

I don't believe there is a factor involved in doing postgrad Med. If you do any degree, you should be able to apply for postgrad Med and then pay your way through - cause HECS is only for undergrads.

though what I can tell you is that nearly everyone who does med science in first year are just there cause they want to transfer out of it by the end of the year into med (i.e. sit for the UMAT again. not sure how much of an impact the marks in the degree have an effect on it...if they have an impact at all)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
only 1 reply so far?!?! aww guys!!! help me out here!

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
get into Medical Science (UNSW)
coz if you do heap heaps GOOD in the 1st yr they let abt i fink 10 pplz to do medicine

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Are you thinking about doing a course for a year and transferring into medicine at all? If you're not doing the course because it's interesting, and only ultimately want to do medicine, doing an undergraduate degree just for the sake of getting into it is a bit of a waste.

At the beginning of this year I was tossing up between med at UNSW and science/law then possibly postgrad med at sydney. The dean of the science faculty told me that doing advanced science (or science), and then being in the TSP (talented students programme) makes it much easier to go from science straight to postgrad med after the three-year science course.

Apart from that, I don't know. Your question is difficult to answer, because nobody has done all the alternative courses, and can compare them. You can only go on hearsay, and the general trend seems to be to do any degree, and to do well. And you need good GAMSAT marks.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
hehe i think its not the uai im really worried about...but rather the interview and section 3 of the UMAT which is non-verbal reasoning...i mean when I look at them...they look like a random assortment of lines and shading to me....so confusing:(
Oh wellls......

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by routemarker
no hecs for post grad? there goes my dream of post grad med...
wat about PELS? (Post graduate education loan scheme?)

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by MinAi

wat about PELS? (Post graduate education loan scheme?)
I heard all such schemes were going to be abolished in the Higher Ed Review.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by kini mini

I heard all such schemes were going to be abolished in the Higher Ed Review.
that'd b right...damn Nelson

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by inasero
hehe i think its not the uai im really worried about...but rather the interview and section 3 of the UMAT which is non-verbal reasoning...i mean when I look at them...they look like a random assortment of lines and shading to me....so confusing:(
Oh wellls......
But they are a random assortment of lines and shading...

Some people get them at first, some people don't. But you can train yourself to recognise them, just do as many as you can. It also helps if you familiarise yourself with the shapes first, because they don't cahnge very much from year to year.

What exactly are you worried about in the interview?

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
I hope you're not serious...you know! the guy in the striped red and white clothing who you have to find in those pictures. He's saying that because the third section of UMAT is all about identifying ridiculous shapes of various kinds in a huge pandora's box of shapes.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
man u have definitely been deprived of a proper childhood and I lament that loss....how can you not know "Where's Wally"....?!?! When I was a kid, it was the sole reason for living!
Its a book with huge pictures and you have to find a particular character called wally (and his evil nemesis Waldo as well), but this is complicated by the fact that the artists put in heaps of red and white striped charzcters who are DRESSED like wally but dont lookk like him (as in their faces)....so this is why the exigent point was first raised, because the third section of the UMAT is sort of like a "where's wally" challenge in the sense that you have to find this character, although it also differs bacuase you know what you're looking for whereas in the UMAT there are several choices.....
Anyways thats the end of my spiel about Where's Wally......

I hope I don't stuff interview up since it's worth 33%. The other two are things you can prepare for, but the interview is largely a spontaneous affair which requires quick thinking and impressive oral/communications skills

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
His nemesis isn't Waldo!! Waldo is his American counterpart! Wally's nemisis is that dude with the French moustache and the yellowy brown striped clothing!

And you say you lived for Wally...pfft!

inasero

Reborn
HSC
oooops Chudy you're right..... ^^;;
The yellow guy's name is "Odlaw"- other characters include a nerdy girl (Wenda) and a nerdy dog (Woof):D

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
so can anybody give us sample interview questions? they asked my friend to explain 'enzyme' to a 5 yr old...hard shit!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)