Medicine Written Application Review FREE! (1 Viewer)

Medman

HSC
Hi everyone.

For those that don't know me my name is Jason and I'm currently an intern. I have helped now over 80+ students for medicine/dentistry interviews and more than 80% of my students have subsequently received offers.

I've had a few requests for students asking me to review their written application to universities. So far I've been quite unimpressed with what people have been writing.

Due to time constraints I will no longer be doing this as a free service unless you catch me in a great mood.

Out of generosity I have decided to help 2 lucky people with their medicine applications. I can only do this over the weekend as I will be entering a busy term next week where the average number of work hours each weeks will be 60+.

For those that want their applications reviewed by me, I want you to tell me in 50 words or less why I should help you get into medicine. PM me please.

DECISION HAS BEEN MADE

Jason

Last edited:

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
I could be a great doctor one day because I like to help people and I am smart. Also I am good at biology and I volunteer in a nursing home.
You should help me because my relatives have connections to all the major training programs in NSW.

Vote Schmeag.

Reactions: Oer

Medman

HSC
lol not sure if srs
Why would I not be serious? Most applications I've read from people applying to undergraduate medicine have been pretty bad. I can't blame them given they haven't had any professional experience. I've been mentoring and helping those who private messaged me on BOS and through my email. I've asked nothing in return but given I have received more requests recently I can't keep it up with my other commitments.

HSC
N/A
I love helping people, the science behind it, I love being challenged constantly. I know I'll be lost in the crowd of people who will just blindly write this, so I'd really love your help reviewing so that my genuine passion shines through. I KNOW my heart is set on medicine.

(btw I was one of the first people to comment SO BROWNIE POINTS PLEASE :) I'M DESPERATE HAHAHA T_T)

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
Why would I not be serious? Most applications I've read from people applying to undergraduate medicine have been pretty bad. I can't blame them given they haven't had any professional experience. I've been mentoring and helping those who private messaged me on BOS and through my email. I've asked nothing in return but given I have received more requests recently I can't keep it up with my other commitments.
Then why wouldn't you just privately help two of the people that have asked you, rather than make people publicly compete for your attention? Not trying to understate the fact that you're taking out your own time to do a nice thing for others, but there's enough competition going on with medicine admission as it is.

Once again, you're doing a nice thing and have been doing so for a while, and it's great, but this thread might come off as... parading? Even if that's not your intention.

This isn't a criticism, I'm genuinely seeking your reasoning. I know you have good intentions. It's just my thoughts.

Medman

HSC
Then why wouldn't you just privately help two of the people that have asked you, rather than make people publicly compete for your attention? Not trying to understate the fact that you're taking out your own time to do a nice thing for others, but there's enough competition going on with medicine admission as it is.

Once again, you're doing a nice thing and have been doing so for a while, and it's great, but this thread might come off as... parading? Even if that's not your intention.

This isn't a criticism, I'm genuinely seeking your reasoning. I know you have good intentions. It's just my thoughts.
I have already helped review those 2 people's applications. Given more requests from others I only intend to help another 2 or few more until I have more free time which I doubt as I am about to start Geris. I am posting this so I can help 2 people most deserving.

a solution to that if you really want to stick to the pick the two best 50 word responses thing is maybe asking people to PM rather than publicly post here.
I will change it to PMs. Didn't want to do it originally because I don't like the BOS PM system but I guess if people have personal reasons then that is the best way forward.

Last edited:

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Why would I not be serious? Most applications I've read from people applying to undergraduate medicine have been pretty bad.
I've gone through a few and I'd agree. I've literally had people send applications with grammar so poor that I had to clarify what was being said. If that's the case, you don't need medical school, you need an English class.

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Maybe put it in your signature. If you think about it, most people won't read a thread like this before PMing. However, the major advertisement for your services is in your signature, so why not put it in there as well?

By the way, did I make it in?

Medman

HSC
I've gone through a few and I'd agree. I've literally had people send applications with grammar so poor that I had to clarify what was being said. If that's the case, you don't need medical school, you need an English class.
Yeh tell me about it. Some students are even 99+ ATAR students who I am certain can write a great essay but when it came down to writing their applications, their applications were riddled with mistakes. Also because I’m doing it as a free service it doesn’t mean you are excused from proof reading your application before sending it to me. My job is not to correct every single grammatical error you have made but to give feedback on how to improve your application to showcase your personality and skills. I seriously gave up on correcting grammatical mistakes after 1 page on many peoples' applications.

That being said if english is not your first language I can understand but please don’t send me a first draft of your application if you want to make the most of my service.

Maybe put it in your signature. If you think about it, most people won't read a thread like this before PMing. However, the major advertisement for your services is in your signature, so why not put it in there as well?
By the way, did I make it in?
Thanks for the thought I will consider it. You'll have to wait and see but your statement was pretty convincing.

ming mong

HSC
Er. I'm not sure if I sent 2 or none. My 'sent messages' folder show no indication that I have sent anything.

So yeah, I'm sorry if I sent 2, and if my expressions seem a bit dodgy, it's because English is actually not my first language (wait no, it might not count because I learnt how to speak, read and write English when I was 5). Anyway, thank you.

Last edited:

Medman

HSC
I thought I would choose two lucky people early as I am going to be destroyed next week due to my workload. I have pmed the two chosen students. Good luck to the rest of you!

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
I thought I would choose two lucky people early as I am going to be destroyed next week due to my workload. I have pmed the two chosen students. Good luck to the rest of you!
Disappointed that I didn't make the cut.

What makes this particular geriatrics rotation so busy compared to your other terms?

Medman

HSC
Disappointed that I didn't make the cut.

What makes this particular geriatrics rotation so busy compared to your other terms?
We had new 17 admissions in 1 day on Thursday and we literally did a ward round around ED department because basically all of ED beds were occupied by Geris patients. Due to the aging population and how good we are at keeping people alive you often see a lot of representations of sick patients who are not quite ready to die but are approaching stage. Another reason is that a portion of geris patients require services and other assessments to help them live independently or go to a nursing home (which is government funded). So despite the fact their medical issues are sorted social issues are not and they could take a while to sort out so you have a lot of patient's lingering on your list waiting for that. Also geris discharges can be challenging if they have a lot of medical problems.

lil_stassa

HSC
....Damn I have no idea if my PM even sent around 2-3 weeks ago because my sent messages have nothing in them...
or maybe I just don't know how to use this site yet since I've barely used it hahaha ;-;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)