medicine vs. veterinary science: which is harder? (1 Viewer)

aleachim

HSC
There's no need to be so presumptious people! tisk-tisk... if you want to know my secret identity, read it backwards (ahhhh... it's all clear now I hope). Thanks for the advice anyway. My earliest ambition was to become a vet. Nonetheless, I don't mind interacting with both humans and animals, you'd be able to help people around you so much as a doctor and I guess I've been around animals my whole life. No, I don't live on a farm.

I have gone to work experience @ a vet's and interestingly enough, the vet said the most rewarding part was the reaction you get from appreciative owners. I am merely keeping my options open, and have always liked science related subjects. And as a matter of fact, I wouldn't choose a subject on the basis of how easy it is. If that were the case I may as well start flipping burgers my entire life!

HSC
well in any case you shouldn't be making a decision about a career based on the course difficulty. because both courses are hard. you've got plenty of time, so work hard to get the marks you need (youre going to have to get a high uai), work out what you want to do, talk to some vets and doctors and then make your choice.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
medicine is easy tho.. and definately not proportional to UAI marks :p

PrettyVacant

HSC
A Stone Monkey said:
Chim is Vietnamese; it means "bird".
It doesn't sound Asian, it is.

I reckon Medicine is overrated, and there is so little focus on Vet Sciences. Harder? Can't answer that, sorry; it'd be too hard to anyway.

Hello!:)
Lucid?

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
ari89 said:
Ok, I'll give you some advice that I received which is quite realistic, if you find it hard to decide between being a doctor or a vet.

If you want to do veterninary science and become a vet:
"It starts with the patient, continues with the patient, and ends with the patient".

Hippocratic Oath: (for a vet)

IF IT SHOULD BE

1) If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

2) You will be sad, I understand.
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

3) We've had so many happy years.
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come -- please let me go.

4) Take me where my need they'll tend,
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

5) I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

6) Please do not grieve -- it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.
Lolz :wave:

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
i see ur POINT hmmmz

[]=========[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][]D====-------

mil indicators...

Last edited:

sophie1989

HSC
I think that vet. science would be way harder than normal medicine arrrr 98 UAI HECTIC!

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Vet is hard, it has long uni hours (30?) and at the end the pay is not very exciting. However, if you like animals, it is very rewarding.

Please do not do vet simply because you didn't get into med. Do not do vet if you have no affinity with animals. Do not do med unless you like interacting with people (often sick and unattractive). Please do not do med because your parents told you to do it (do commerce). Do not do vet because you think you are going to earn lots of money.

tam101

HSC
vet science is becoming a lot more easy to get into these days, you dont necessarily hav to get a uai of 98.4, its actualy dropped cause of low application numbers, and plus, you can do a bachelor of science for 2 years then transfer to vet science, n that onli has a uai of 62

HSC
i know someone who got into vet with ~96 just last year, so that uai thing can't be right...yeah she says its about 30 hours a week, but she loves it.

if you dont get into med and you want to do med, fall back on something like pharmacy, or medical science its what all the people who dont get into medicine do.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
medicine starts off lik 18-24 hrs..

then by clinical yrs (3.5-4 yrs) its about 48+hrs.. cos its practial.. sometimes there are weekend stuff too ..

that is when it gets heavy.. and then ure home reading otherwise.. to pass.. for distinctions... well u need to be very thorough..

Its not bad.. but then when u start doing it.. u realise u need a massive scope just to understand the basics

aleachim

HSC
OK, thanks guys for all your advice. I'm enrolled in a UMAT course and have decided to place med as my second preference, first preference is veterinary science. Alternatively, I find it would be a good idea to place a science degree as my third preference, so I can dabble in a bit of both and see which field of science I enjoy the most. I like interacting with both humans and animals to be honest.
BTW: if it wasn't clear enough, aleachim is my name backwards. Call me Michaela! ;)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
aleachim

dun do medicine or vet cos aleachim is mihcaela.. not Michaela.. nice work...

aleachim

HSC
yeah.. about that: I noticed that immediately after I registered it but it has just stuck ever since as a nickname - indeed, that does require skill... :uhoh:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
speeling backwards is actualli a skill in the mental status exam... its worth 2 pts out of 30.. and indicates that u have a cognition problem.. damn..

id say based on 1st impressiongs id wonder if u really could do it.. or just be 1-sided

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)