Medicine at otago (1 Viewer)

rockstar01

HSC
If u dont make it into a uni here in Australia is anyone considering the general health science degree for one year then going into med at uni of otago (new zealand)

What do u think the difficulty if this would be?

What are ur thoughts of taking this route?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i say if you go for it you're facing pretty stiff competition...it's just like going into medical science in australia with the hope of transferring into medicine...you need super high marks.
think about it this way...you probably wont get in and then youll be stuck in a relatively obscure university with an even more obscure degree

so in short do it if you are confident in your abilities, but if not then stay in australia and do an undergraduate course you actually enjoy.

rockstar01

HSC
Yeah i see what you mean. They make it sound so easy like all you need is a credit average.
but the biggest negative for me is the COLD

rockstar01

HSC
Heres another question:

Whats easier to get into undergrad or grad med??

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
rockstar01 said:
Yeah i see what you mean. They make it sound so easy like all you need is a credit average.
but the biggest negative for me is the COLD
Why should the weather be a determining factor whether or not you want to medicine?

Also, mind you they take like heaps of people into that general health science degree and only say 100 ish go into med + 50 ish get into dentistry. I think it was like about 700+ people for the course intake. It was damn shocking when i heard the figures.

rockstar01

HSC
kimmeh said:
Why should the weather be a determining factor whether or not you want to medicine?
i was only joking i would do medicine in antarctica

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i kno a guy who was in otago..
he was trying for dent/med
he got good marks but 2 yrs in a row he was on waiting list..

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
rockstar01 said:
wow that was a lot of help...

i mean whats more competitive generally
man... this is something you have to figure out for yourself
but this time i'll tell you

grad med is easier to get into in terms of quantitative competition. Ie. Less people applying, they interview about 350 at usyd and about 200 get a place so you have like 2/3 chance once you get an interview. However, grad med is harder in terms of qualitative comp. in that everyone prepares for the gamsat, everyone is matured enough to really want to do med etc. There are usually a panel of 3 at the interviews and they ask bitchier questions during the interview.

Undergrad however, has shitloads of applicants (usu. in the thousands) for each med school. The umat isnt too bad, and the interviews aren't so bad either, its just the competition in numbers that's gets everyone.

So... there you have it, i don't think it made any difference on your prospects of med. I say relax, study hard and enjoy yourself before you get into med school.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
wow that was a lot of help...

I mean whats more competitive generally
Haha Bob.J [T-mart], I think that's a perfectly legitimate question.

Well Rockstar, I haven't tried Graduate medicine so I can't say definitively which one is harder to be accepted into. From what I've heard from other people who have, it seems as though it is easier to enter graduate because the proportion of spaces for applicants is higher, even though there are less spaces overall than undergraduate. And when you think about it, all the hardcore students have been accepted into undergraduate meaning less competition.

But then again, I guess another way of looking at it is that the Gamsat is a bloody hard exam and you have to compete with students who have HD's in science and medical science- pretty daunting prospect. Don't quote me on this one but I have heard of graduate students not cutting the mark for graduate entry and hence taking the longer (undergraduate) route.

So in short, I guess in answer to your question- whether Graduate entry ends up being easier or harder to be accepted into depends on how you perform in university as a student.

But thanks for the relevant question- and keep them coming! It's not too often that I get something worth replying to. Just the other day someone asked, "How do I apply to medical school?". :rolleyes:

ishq

brown?
HSC
Just another question - not really related to 'Medicine in Otago', but not worth making another thread about.
The Interviews which all Medical Schools conduct - are the dates early November, Mid/Late November, Early December or after UAI's are released?
I'm sorry if this is a noob question - but nowhere on the site are real dates/times mentioned.
Thanks.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
ishq said:
Just another question - not really related to 'Medicine in Otago', but not worth making another thread about.
The Interviews which all Medical Schools conduct - are the dates early November, Mid/Late November, Early December or after UAI's are released?
I'm sorry if this is a noob question - but nowhere on the site are real dates/times mentioned.
Thanks.
most med schools conduct interviews before the UAI is released
usually around mid nov-mid dec

and then some late round interviews after UAI (etc) have been released

iamsickofyear12

HSC
My friend is doing a course at Otago, not exactly sure what it is but it is allowing him to transfer into Medicine so he needs a credit average. Apparently the work takes up a huge amount of time.

But then again, the course he is doing needed a 74 UAI to get into, so if you are a big dumb and still want to do medicine get into that course and transfer.

MouNtY

all i can say is that here it's pretty easy to get into uni, but obviously standard is going to be really high for Med so you have to have like all excellences for NCEA, but yeah most people do the health science, and then med thing.

but it is pretty easy to get into uni here.

Waldo

Hiding Somewhere
HSC
I dont think entrance to uwa would be particularly easy, this being said, i think it depends on your strengths and what the selection criteria is seeking. um..i guess lexicographer would know more information about this.

lexicographer? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)