Medicine at Newcastle (1 Viewer)

LukeGriffiths88

HSC
Hi Everyone...

If anyone could help me, it would be great! I would LOVE to do medicine at university, although I need to set a goal for my UAI. In all the UAC guides etc, there is never a UAI cut-off for medicine. There obviously has to be a point where people under a certain UAI are no longer considered for the course.

My question is, am I looking at a 90 - 93 UAI or more like a 95-100???

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
er well you really wont have that much precision in what you aim for anyway, so jsut try your best and get the highest you possibly can

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I think its 93, or 93.8 or something around there.

Although, as Emily said, ignore that and do as well as you can. Do well in the HSC, blitz UMAT and have a kick-arse interview, and your home sailing.

LukeGriffiths88

HSC
Thanks for your replies. It's no so much that I need to set a goal, but I need to be realistic about what my capabilities are in acheiving a UAI in the 90s. Thanks again.... 93.8 is encouraging...

moz

Med Student
HSC
hey mate, i can guarantee u the required UAI is 93.8, and anything over that they don't care. 93.8 or 99 and u have equal chance.

and if your from the country for rural entry, then it's 90.1

uai isn't the decider, umat is. cheers!

dora_18

HSC
hey guys, a question, if you're planning to transfer from 1st year at university into medicine, apart from the fact that you require a credit average does your uai from the previous year matter? dot hey take it into account?

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
no, they don't look at your UAI if you're transferring - from the UNCLE site:

Non school leavers and previous Australian Year 12 students
Apply for entry through UAC, register to sit the Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admissions Test (UMAT) , apply directly to the University and attend an interview if required.

Entry based on:
  • previous Year 12 studies or Higher education qualifications or overseas qualifications considered equivalent to Australian qualifications.
  • Results of UMAT and interview.

mortal1ty

HSC
Since this tread is releven to the one i wanted to start. I desperately want to know what subjects (and levels) I should be taking for my best bet at surviving medicine. I'm at Gosford High. Year 11, currently studying English Adv, Maths 2u, Physics, Chem, Modern & Business. Basically can i cope with std english and possibly dropping chem next year. Thanks a ton.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
You probably should have done biology and also keep chem if you want to have an advantage at med, but seriously, it's not THAT important as long as you work hard during the course.

The other thing you can do is just read over the program and the courses description :http://www.newcastle.edu.au/program/10379.html , which says that only any 2units of english are required.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
try to get ur teachers to do the "organic chemistry" option next year and the "medical physics".

I wouldn't be too concerned with a lack of biology. Biomedical science only recommends the study of maths physics and chemistry even though it has a significant biology component.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Eh, organic chemisty is part of the main course, isn't it? The option topic that you would want to do is the forensic one, mainly because it focuses a lot on DNA and what you can do with it.

moz

Med Student
HSC
what the?

subjects that you should do before med.... well basically nothing! seriously, nothing you do in high school will help you in med. it doesn't matter what you've done or haven't, because you'll do it all in 1st semester anyways, and then after that its all brand new med specific stuff. do the subjects that'll get you INTO med not the ones that you believe will make med easier for you (and seriously they won't).

i never did bio in highschool and have done med with no problems for 3 years. I did maths in HS and it didn't help me at all (as all you need to be able to do in med is +, X, divide and use a calculator)

seriously mate, work on getting in, not getting through med. you'll learn everything you'll need for med IN med

-moz
Med III

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)