Medical Physics - TOMOGRAPHY (1 Viewer)

nty

HSC
Did anyone know exactly what tomography was?

It's imaging in slices.. I didn't know, so I talked about all of them. There is nothing in the syllabus that says "identify that tomography is imaging in slices"... I know it's pretty obvious but they should not have put a 6 marker up which wouldn't be able to be answered WELL without knowing what that one word means. Our class never discussed in any detail the word - tomography, it was just - oh positron emission tomography - great lets talk about positron emission...

Based on logic though, it would be 2 marks each for PET, CAT and MRI. Anyone disagree?

dolbinau

HSC
I talked about PET, CAT and MRI - I think this was necessary.

crestor

HSC
what they meant was how does tomography, so how do the pictures you get from pet/ct/mri bla bla aid us in making diagnosis

for example MRI has aided greatly in functiions of the brain and also finding cancer where as with CT you get 256 shades of grey compared to 25? for x-ray therefore greater resolution etc which improves diagnostic whatever it was

I think that was what they were getting that?

lawrence.h

HSC
that sucks monkey nuts.
It said "tomography" so I thought "hmm....Computed Axial TOMOGRAPHY, and Positron Emission TOMOGRAPHY. Am I missing anything else with the word Tomography?"
lol..that didn't work out for me...
Because everybody else seemed to include MRI...damn

DunnyBasher

HSC
lawrence.h said:
that sucks monkey nuts.
It said "tomography" so I thought "hmm....Computed Axial TOMOGRAPHY, and Positron Emission TOMOGRAPHY. Am I missing anything else with the word Tomography?"
Exactly what I did in the exam...only ended up writing 2 paragraphs because I couldn't link CAT to PET in terms of the slices...Plus I spent too much time on questions earlier in that topic.

nty

HSC
I'm hoping they don't take to many marks away for talking about other things (normal x ray etc) that aren't tomography. I thought tomography was just images - of the BODY... like. "body"ography haha..

I'm prepared to lose a whole 6 marks for that last part. I took too much time in the short answers and multiple choice (I don't like to go back) so didn't have heaps of time for the option.

How much detail do you think was needed? so basically is was: compare MRE PET and CAT? looks like i was the only one who didnt pick up the "tomography" in PET and CAT... i talked about eberythigni. in not much detail

HSC
I talked about CAT scans, compared them to normal non tomographical xrays and showsed how tomography made it much better. Talked about MRI and PET scans and how without tomography the data would be useless.

dolbinau

HSC
How much detail do you think was needed? so basically is was: compare MRE PET and CAT? looks like i was the only one who didnt pick up the "tomography" in PET and CAT... i talked about eberythigni. in not much detail
I basically explained how each one was used and how each one improved our diagnostic ability. Since CAT scans, MRI and PET scans are all used for different things and/or have their own advantages it was easy (so yes, a disguised compare question, kind of - but we had to say why it improved our diagnostic ability, really.)

Ginny11

HSC
i had absolutely no idea of what the actual meaning of tomograpghy was!!!!
I mean sure its in CAT and PET but i've never been told the definition of the word so i kinda bumbled on just how great tomography is without actually saying exactly what it was......

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
lol wasnt sure what it meant
so talked about the all briefly, outlined PET, CT and MRI, cause they hadnt been covered in the other questions
talked about diagnostics leading to early detection and treatment just to link it in a bit

Lachycharts

Don't afraid of anything!
HSC
I wrote 3 pages on this one, 1 whole page about MRI, 1 whole page on CAT and PET and a 1 page conclusion. Hellz yeah.

jono1887

HSC
you could probably get away with righting about all the others because the definition of tomography according to Microsoft Encarta is

to·mog·ra·phy [to móggrəfee]

Production of body image: the technique of using ultrasound, gamma rays, or X-rays to produce a focused image of the structures across a specific depth within the body, while blurring details at other depths

[Mid-20th century. < Greek tomos "cutting, section"]

So its not specifically MRI, CAT and PET....

S

Sunnykoala

lawrence.h said:
that sucks monkey nuts.
DunnyBasher said:
Exactly what I did in the exam...only ended up writing 2 paragraphs because I couldn't link CAT to PET in terms of the slices...Plus I spent too much time on questions earlier in that topic.
lol u guys r not the only one... i also only mentioned CAT scans and PET coz those were the only two with the word 'tomography' and i thought those were the only ones i'm supposed to talk about... so i didnt hav much to say... i also wrote 2 paragraphs- 1 for CAt and 1 for PET. i just wrote about what kinda diseases/ problems they help diagnose....

nty said:
should not have put a 6 marker up which wouldn't be able to be answered WELL without knowing what that one word means. Our class never discussed in any detail the word - tomography, it was just - oh positron emission tomography - great lets talk about positron emission...

i agree, they should've made it a 4 mark question... coz atleast the 'tomography' in CAT and PET was obvious to most people... lol...

ah well....... it's over now.........

nty

HSC
jono1887 said:
you could probably get away with righting about all the others because the definition of tomography according to Microsoft Encarta is

to·mog·ra·phy [to móggrəfee]

Production of body image: the technique of using ultrasound, gamma rays, or X-rays to produce a focused image of the structures across a specific depth within the body, while blurring details at other depths

[Mid-20th century. < Greek tomos "cutting, section"]

So its not specifically MRI, CAT and PET....
thanks for that. though, the bos always seem to have their own little hsc definitions.. oh well. lets hope they mark reasonably!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)