Media gone too far? (1 Viewer)

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
damn it, i cant change the name of the thread.

read: "media gone too far, again?"

K

katie_tully

Go Pauline!
Maybe if people didn't take her out of context there wouldn't be so much controversy.
She's not racist, her ideas are well supported also.
She supports immigrants coming to Australia, but she believes they should embrace Australian culture and become "Australians".... Gee, there's a hard concept to grasp.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
tWiStEdD said:
damn it, i cant change the name of the thread.

read: "media gone too far, again?"
lollerocaster

Last edited:

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
katie_tully said:
Go Pauline!
Maybe if people didn't take her out of context there wouldn't be so much controversy.
She's not racist, her ideas are well supported also.
She supports immigrants coming to Australia, but she believes they should embrace Australian culture and become "Australians".... Gee, there's a hard concept to grasp.
just out of curiousity, what is australian culture? is a uniform thing that is easy to embrace? or is it diverse and enhanced by the differences within it?

personally, immigrants can embrace whatever they want for a culture, including their own, providing they can speak english, obey the law and contribute to the country - just like everyone is supposed to.

K

katie_tully

So...
Say I wanted to go and live in... Saudi Arabia... And I wanted to remain Australian. Wear my thongs, shorts and a sleeveless top to the shop... Go for a tip in my bikini. Walk down the street with my hair out and my face uncovered...
...I can't do that, can I.

You know what Australian culture is, so don't try and spark debate over what is Australianism, because it's been done. It's people who come into the country and refuse to conform to Australian society standards, because where they're from things are different.

Kulazzi

HSC
katie_tully said:
So...
Say I wanted to go and live in... Saudi Arabia... And I wanted to remain Australian. Wear my thongs, shorts and a sleeveless top to the shop... Go for a tip in my bikini. Walk down the street with my hair out and my face uncovered...
no, definitely not, ur right there UNLESS ur at some special tourist area, but in a local city/town, no.

edit: you may be able to walk with face uncovered b/c I did that when I went to saudi arabia, I wasn't forced to wear the burka (which is the black covering + veil) but then again I wore a head scarf that obviously covered my hair

Regarding the Australian culture, I've always viewed it as having bbq's, saying "g'day mate", surfies etc. etc. There's still a lot of that around, but I don't think many immigrants will change to that situation mainly because we're viewed as a multicultural society now in which we are

edit:
mervvyn said:
personally, immigrants can embrace whatever they want for a culture, including their own, providing they can speak english, obey the law and contribute to the country - just like everyone is supposed to.
I'd agree with you there.

Last edited:

Ziff

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
So...

You know what Australian culture is, so don't try and spark debate over what is Australianism, because it's been done. It's people who come into the country and refuse to conform to Australian society standards, because where they're from things are different.
So say muslims shouldn't wear the veil, Jews shouldn't wear skullcaps etc etc?

Last edited:

Kulazzi

HSC
in regards to the topic, I'd agree that the media has gone too far. I saw Hanson on the 4:30 news, tears running down her face and I felt so sorry for her. But then again, thats how the media is........

K

katie_tully

Ziff said:
So say muslims shouldn't wear the veil, Jews shouldn't wear skullcaps etc etc?
Now I know what Hanson went through with being taken out of context.

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
i hate the media.
its as simple of that.
i fear that my frontline essay will suffer as a result.... or maybe it will benefit.... hrm.... -goes into deep thought-

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
HSC
katie_tully said:
So...

point 2 first: that is what i'm trying to do, because it is a gross generalisation to say australian culture is a certain thing - ockerism for one - and by that standard a lot of australians would by that standard be "unaustralian" (a term i hate) which is complete crap. we can't forget that australia is a mix, and luckily a functional and prosperous one at that, because when we do, we become more selfish and inwards turned.

point 1: there is a difference between embracing a culture - assimilating with it - and respecting it. going to saudi arabia and wearing a bikini in a non tourist area is not respect; gang raping and calling it part of your home culture is even worse (and its hardly part of their home culture). While respect is necessary, assimilation should only ever be optional and never expected.

Kulazzi

HSC
mervvyn said:
going to saudi arabia and wearing a bikini in a non tourist area is not respect;
thats a good point. It's like the opposite here, wearing a headscarf here is still respectful......

Ziff

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
Now I know what Hanson went through with being taken out of context.
If both of you were a lot more coherent, structured and had better thought out ideas it wouldn't be a problem.

K

katie_tully

Say I wanted to live in a non tourist area of Saudi Arabia and still wear my bikini... Or invite the neighbours over for pork......

Nobody said they had to assimilate, but there's also no reason why they shouldn't act as though they're Australian and celebrate this country.
I think if the media, and non stupid people read and listened to Pauline, theyd know she's not racist, but infact has very valid points.

Kulazzi

HSC
katie_tully said:
Say I wanted to live in a non tourist area of Saudi Arabia and still wear my bikini... Or invite the neighbours over for pork......

Nobody said they had to assimilate, but there's also no reason why they shouldn't act as though they're Australian and celebrate this country.
I think if the media, and non stupid people read and listened to Pauline, theyd know she's not racist, but infact has very valid points.

that's still the same thing. Going in a non-tourist destination in Australia, no one jails you up for wearing the headscarf, whereas if you do wear a bikini in Saudi Arabia you will most probably receive a penalty or something similar, maybe even get jailed for it. So Australia is still a multicultural, free society. With the scenario concerning pork, do you mean that the neighbours are locals? I mean, you won't get arrested for that, they'll most probably refuse politely and understand where you're coming since you are from a western country.

I'm pretty sure a lot of multicultural societies still celebrate this country (i.e. Australia Day, Anzac Day etc. etc.) :rolleyes: but acting as an Australia.......by that do you mean surfies, bikini on beaches etc. cos that will not happen b/c once again, we are now a multicultural society - we do whatever we please so long, as mervvyn mentioned, we abide by the Australia law, etc. etc.

The only ironic thing is that Pauline Hanson said

katie_tully said:
she believes they should embrace Australian culture and become "Australians"
when there's really no Australian culture anymore. How do I explain this......ok......only those I guess, who are brought up by aussie parents with an australian background, under the australia culture will fit into the description of an aussie culture. However, those brought up with aussie parents under a different cultural/religious background will not follow the aussie culture b/c of the influences that the rest of the family, and that culture/religion has on them. Same thing applies to parents from another country. I think we all realise that we're multicultural.

Last edited:

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
HSC
What Kulazzi said pretty much covers it.

As for ms hanson having valid points and not being racist (i'm not really sure, i can't remember exactly what she said, but i think it lent itself to misinterpretation), that's a matter of opinion, but she must have done something right at the time, given the way the major parties policies became a whole lot tougher on immigration at the time, to capitalise on the vein of concern, perhaps fear, towards immigrants that she unearthed.

Kulazzi

HSC
twiSteD said:
i hate the media.
its as simple of that.
Yeah same here. I just hate it when they pry into everyone's life, for fully detailed information. But then again, that's their job and that's what they're getting paid for :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)