• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Media Arts/Computer Science - Do I need a laptop? (Win or Mac?) (1 Viewer)

nemayah

HSC
I read somewhere (will link if I find it again) that Mac is necessary for computing courses. Is this true? I'd really prefer not to get a Mac but I will if I need it to run software/programs outside of class.

If not, I'm thinking of getting the Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E540 here (link) - will this be sufficient for both Media Arts and Computer Science? Is there any software that these two courses require my laptop to run?

I know there will be labs available etc, but I prefer to have the option to complete the exercises at the library/at home rather than specifically going to a free lab.

I'm prone to doing work last minute and while I've vowed to change this, I predict that I'll probably slack off a bit here and there. I also face 1 hour and 30 minutes minimum transport time on the train/bus as well as 2 hour breaks between classes so I gathered that I'll need a better and lighter laptop than my school-issued one.

wkh

HSC
Windows is absolutely going to give you problems for Computer Science. If you prefer the Windows OS for your other activities and for your Media Arts degree, look up how to dual-boot your laptop with Linux. It's a free OS (or rather a group of OS; varieties include Ubuntu and Debian among others) which is what the Computer Science labs use. When you start up your computer you'll be able to choose which one you want to run. Alternatively you can run Linux within a virtual machine and be able to use both OS at once.

freddiegibbs

HSC
N/A
You will definitely be able to get by fine with Windows for Computer Science/Media Arts. Although it's true that since the lab computers run Linux, having a similar setup for your own computer will be slightly more convenient, it's not hard to setup a good configuration on a Windows machine either, even if you don't want to run a Linux VM.

Becoming familiar with the terminal will definitely benefit you in the long run, but it's not like it's a necessity for running Linux, so even if you do decide to go with Linux, you'll have to make a conscious effort to use the terminal.

I'm not sure why you're so resistant to Macs, but they are a solid choice.

nemayah

HSC
Thanks for the replies! :)

Would it be more convenient overall to just get a Mac? I'll try dual booting on my home computer though, thanks :)

They're pretty expensive and I've always been a Windows user so I'm not familiar with the interface and its workings. I do like that the Air is really light though and I hear the battery life is good.

Last edited:

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
whoever said a mac is compulsory was psycho, you just need a laptop.

ismeta

HSC
You will definitely be able to get by fine with Windows for Computer Science/Media Arts. Although it's true that since the lab computers run Linux, having a similar setup for your own computer will be slightly more convenient, it's not hard to setup a good configuration on a Windows machine either, even if you don't want to run a Linux VM.

Becoming familiar with the terminal will definitely benefit you in the long run, but it's not like it's a necessity for running Linux, so even if you do decide to go with Linux, you'll have to make a conscious effort to use the terminal.

Yes, Windows is fine, but it will be a lot easier if you get a machine with Linux or Mac OS. If you're going to get a Windows computer, dualboot it - VMs are slower. If you're paranoid about breaking your computer while dualbooting, come to a CSESoc installfest in semester one and people'll set it up for you. So - go with a Windows/Linux distro dualboot or get a Mac. Or if you really really don't want to dualboot, use a VM...but get a well-specced laptop or it'll be painful.

I disagree with the point about terminal - at least, for Computer Science, I believe learning to use the terminal is pretty important. One course, COMP2041, specifically teaches you shell. You also need to use the terminal to compile your programs in COMP1917/COMP1927.

OP - you ask whether it would be more convenient overall to just get a Mac? Well, if you were doing solely Computer Science I'd say sure but it doesn't matter, but if you're doing Media Arts as well I think Macs are pretty good for that. But don't take my word for it, I don't do Media Arts. If Macs are better for Media Arts I'd recommend a Mac.

The Edge laptop you linked is fine. I'm not sure if you're bothered by its weight, but that's up to you. Larger screens are good, as long as (previously mentioned) you're okay with the weight. Windows 8 can be a poo to dualboot, but it can be done. Basically, the only thing that Computer Science requires is a Unix-based computer. You could always use lab computers, but it's hella more convenient to get your own Unix-based machine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)