Media and Communications/Journalism (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Which do you think are the top courses at what unis for these subjects?? Share any info/rumors/tales etc you have please!!!!

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
i think bathurst has the best communication courses

but make sure you really wanna get into journalism. after a semester, i'm having serious doubts. it isn't easy

pinkbella

Dancing naked in the moonlight (can't handle it? d
yeah, bathurst and uts are top for journalism

sydney's not too good apparently, because you have to combine your degree with another major, which kinda sucks if you're a bludger like me and enjoy doing minimal work

macquarie isn't too bad at all. everyone makes it out to be a shithole for sydney rejects, but it's a nice campus and the subjects offered for media in particular are pretty good. i'm doing a bachelor of media in writing (bascially journalism with a fancy title) at the moment and i love it. the hours are pretty small (8 hours a week bare minimum), and the work is relevant. plus, media lectures are a blast.

don't even go near unsw, it's visual communication, not journalism - btw, is it print or broadcast you're interested in?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Say if I got a fantastic UAI and could get in to any course, which would you recommend choosing??? This is the list of courses I am looking at

BA Media and Comm (USyd)
BA Communication (Journalism)/ Int Studies (UTS)
BA Communication (Journalism) (UTS)
BA Communication (Writing and Contemporary Cultures) (UTS)
B Comm (Journalism) (Wollongong)
B Media (Writing) (Macquarie)
B Communication (not sure what major yet, journalism or advertising) (CSU Bathurst)
BA Media and Communication (UNSW)

Could you sort of put them in to some order to show the reputation/quality/enjoyability of the courses, from what you have experienced or heard?? I would love any help you can give me!!!!

I'm looking at a UAI of at least 95, so some of my decisions may be made for me depending on my UAI.

Thanks for any help or opinions you can share with me!!!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
go to UTS and do Journalism, and if u'd like the international aspect, combine it with the int. studies. I think it should be as simple as that

=/

pinkbella

Dancing naked in the moonlight (can't handle it? d
Originally posted by Minai
go to UTS and do Journalism, and if u'd like the international aspect, combine it with the int. studies. I think it should be as simple as that

=/
quoth the economics student who probably spent hours agonising over which uni the maths pracs were tougher at (j/k, j/k...i think :p)

i think your preferences there are pretty good in uai order
that's pretty much what mine were!! hahahaha...if your UAI is going to be around 95, I'd say aim for UTS.

my only stories come from macquarie, but i love it so far. it hasnt put me off journalism at all! but yeah, enough of my entertainment :p
good luck with the preferences!!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by pinkbella

quoth the economics student who probably spent hours agonising over which uni the maths pracs were tougher at (j/k, j/k...i think :p)
not at all!
in actual fact I spent the last few hours before UAC closed switching between Com/Eco @ UNSW and Commerce Law @ Macquarie :)

bex

HSC
BA Media and Comm (USyd)
BA Communication (Journalism)/ Int Studies (UTS)
BA Communication (Journalism) (UTS)
BA Communication (Writing and Contemporary Cultures) (UTS)
B Comm (Journalism) (Wollongong)
B Media (Writing) (Macquarie)
B Communication (not sure what major yet, journalism or advertising) (CSU Bathurst)
BA Media and Communication (UNSW)

Bathurst has a FANTASTIC reputation for journo.. it has seen the likes of Amanda Keller, Andrew Denton and Jessica Rowe who all did Journalism. Its also great for advertising... their own agency "Kajulu" has won international agency competitions and their course is internationally renowned.

Sydney, as a uni on the whole has prestige. When i said i wanted to go to CSU my mum rang just about every radio station, newspaper and tv station she could think of to make sure it wasnt some crazy internet university scam!! Just cause a uni has prestige doesnt say the same for their courses. So think carefully bout that.

UNSW is a shit hole. a friend of mine transfered to bathurst after a yr of doing med comm there bcause he said the course was shite.

if you want to go into newspapers, a friend of mine who works for the telegraph said that they hire more UWS grads than any other uni.. but thats coming from the scungey depths of tabloid journalism.

I dont know much bout the others, but i would seriously consider Bathurst. Since going there, i have met so many industry professionals who when i say im at CSU, they nod and smile... Communications is an industry about networking and CSU can really provide that for you.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Thanks for the advice. Here is a predicament though... what if I get a high enough mark to get in to Sydney Uni... it's going to be hard to turn down that prestige, and to me it appears to have a more enriching campus/college life than say UTS (correct me if I'm wrong)... also nobody in my family has ever been to university before and my parents would be strongly pushing the University of Sydney path because they hadn't heard of UTS or Wollongong until I mentioned it and they don't see CSU as that great because there is a campus in my home town (just doesn't have the right courses)... of course they would not force me or pressure me, they would let me go wherever I wanted and would support that, but at the same time I know they would love to tell their friends that their daughter was at the University of Sydney *rolls eyes*....

Also could the connections, alumni etc be more beneficial if one went to a more prestigious uni like Sydney?

I don't mean to sounds like an elitist or only out for prestige or something like that, but it is a consideration... but I probably won't get the UAI for Sydney anyway, so that would make the decision for me.

Thanks for all your help!!! If you have any more advice or info I would love to hear it!!!!

bex

HSC
I know sydney has prestige and my parents knew it BIG time. It was really hard for me to choose CSU (now i sound like a snob!), i could have done something else at syd if i wanted to and transfered but its just not the same. The social and cultural life at a place like Bathurst is really good. There are only 3000 full time students there and so you really feel like a person.. not just one of the 20000 odd people at USyd. Ive a couple of friends who transferred to bathurst after a yr at sydney because they hated the pretentious snobbery of the whole place.. NOTE: not everyone shares that experience though.. At CSU, they have a club for just about every taste and if there isnt one to suit you, you can start one.. the best part is the uni will subsidise it!

Every thursday night is bar night, they mostly all have themes and everyone gets dressed up and goes nuts! some recent ones were 80's Prom night, Dag night, back to school, a night at the playboy mansion.

The alumni for Bathurst is outstanding. Ive spoken to a few people in the industry and they always talk about how bathurst has its own mafia or boys club in the industry. What they mean is that throught the comm industry, there are HEAPS of CSU affiliated people in highly regarded positions.

Of course, the final choice is up to you. I had to face that reality myself. Who cares if your parents can say youre at USyd just cause it sounds good? A place like sydney has an established aura around it, whats the big deal if non industry people havent heard of it?? theyre not the ones who are going to be hiring you in the long term!

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
guess what, if u fuck up and end up with the shitz UAI wise u can always go to UWS and do a B. Comms or B.A (Comms) and have the time of ur life :D

sucks to u ppl who dont even take into account uws, i do comms courses and i love it there, its tonnes of fun and the teachers are great.

so yes sucks to u ppl

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
hey does anyone know anything about the BA media and cultural studies at macquaire because it seems ok but i have no clue.... what do they actually mean by cultural studies???

and pink ur at macquaire right? so what are the lectures like? u said media is fun? in what way.. is there lots of people? do u feel involved etc?

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
sorta wish i'd gone to bathurst now. i had the UAI too, i just couldnt be fucked moving

losty: cultural studies incorporates stuff like popular culture, media studies etc. sorta like society and culure, if you do that, but much more in depth

Last edited:

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I'm looking @ Communications (Journalism) @ Western Sydney, I have always wanted to be a journalist, never changed my mind. All I can do is work hard the rest of this term, study hard & hope I get the UAI to get in there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)