Med science vs science (1 Viewer)

Sousou14

HSC
So basically I've been having questions on which is a better degree for me to undertake.
I accepted my main round offer into uws for a bachelor of medical science (advanced). However recently I was made an offer into usyd for a bachelor of science. My long term plan is to eventually pursue postgrad med or complete my masters in speech pathology (will choose when time reveals itself + gain more experience). Also I fear usyd will be much more competitive , & that I'll fail with pressure.
So I'm need of great advice & please no 2cents here
Thanks a bunch !

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Uws med sci. No question. Gives you more opportunities to get into med and gives you a relatively low umat cut off so you can do undergrad med if you want. And also EZ to get a gpa that is 6.7 pluswith some effort.

But if you're scared of competition and want to do med...notsureifsrs

iMMORTAL153

HSC
Uni Grad
Uws med sci. No question. Gives you more opportunities to get into med and gives you a relatively low umat cut off so you can do undergrad med if you want. And also EZ to get a gpa that is 6.7 pluswith some effort.

But if you're scared of competition and want to do med...notsureifsrs
False. There is no advantage gained by going to UWS if you wish to get into undergraduate medicine. Regardless of where you study you will still need the same UMAT score and GPA. They used to have an advanced science scheme which made it the tiniest bit easier (6 extra interview spots for advance degrees kids below the cut off e.g. cut off 148, top 6 below the cut off would get an interview 147, 147, 146 146, 146, etc. But 2014 was the last year that happened. Only reason you should consider UWS is if you wish to maintain a higher GPA (well easier to get a higher GPA at UWS than say USYD or UNSW) and then apply to post grad med. If you are looking to get a job after your degree USYD is probably a better option.

EinstenICEBERG

Einstein V2
HSC
False. There is no advantage gained by going to UWS if you wish to get into undergraduate medicine. Regardless of where you study you will still need the same UMAT score and GPA. They used to have an advanced science scheme which made it the tiniest bit easier (6 extra interview spots for advance degrees kids below the cut off e.g. cut off 148, top 6 below the cut off would get an interview 147, 147, 146 146, 146, etc. But 2014 was the last year that happened. Only reason you should consider UWS is if you wish to maintain a higher GPA (well easier to get a higher GPA at UWS than say USYD or UNSW) and then apply to post grad med. If you are looking to get a job after your degree USYD is probably a better option.
USYD.

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
You practically contradicted yourself in the same paragraph.

UWS: easier to maintain high GPA.

iMMORTAL153

HSC
Uni Grad
I actually did, my bad, it was 1am. What I meant was: if you want post grad med, it's easier to maintain a high GPA, and hence UWS is beneficial. But if you're the sort of person who will only try once, e.g. sit the GAMSAT once, don’t get in so you move on with your life, then USYD is better as you will have job prospects.

such_such

HSC
UWS have some places for internal transfer from med sci, so consider that too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)