med in sydney universities (1 Viewer)

jang

is not my real name
HSC
yeah, its ur decision and it probably is better suited to ur goal in life or watever
but to the avg person, that course is quite the hectic
and dont u remember they added to condtions: gamsat of 50%+ or soemthing for each n every section for entry into the graduate med? plus the wam80+ every time...
n nit, u got offer from melb... thats easier way to do it too isnt it?

nit

HSC
no, the gamsat requirement is, as I've said earlier, not required to get a HECS place. You do it in order to apply for scholarships to the medical program. So, if you stuff it up or whatever, then that doesnt automatically preclude from a place, but rather from a scholarship.

jang

is not my real name
HSC
nit said:
no, the gamsat requirement is, as I've said earlier, not required to get a HECS place. You do it in order to apply for scholarships to the medical program. So, if you stuff it up or whatever, then that doesnt automatically preclude from a place, but rather from a scholarship.
ah icic
well theres this SMTP thing? so i guess they use that instead of the GAMSAT...
i think it be pretty hard to make it into grad med at Usyd...
can ne1 second that it be harder by this than it would be if u did ne other undergrad course n then applied later with gamsat?
well this is wat i found and copied and pasted

edited quote from usyd site said:
To remain in the Science/Medicine program students must:

:Complete units of study having a total value of at least 336 credit points.
:Maintain a YAM of 80 or above in each of the first three years of the program.
:Satisfactorily complete five Science/Medicine Talented Program (SMTP units in the first three years of the program.

About SMTP Units:

The five Science/Medicine Talented Program (SMTP) units are unique to this program. These are designed to assess competence in the areas covered in the "Reasoning in the Social Sciences and Humanities" and writing sections of GAMSAT and in the USydMP interview. Progress in the SMTP units will require students to satisfactorily complete several critical writing tasks. These tasks will assess the student's comprehension and reasoning in social sciences and humanities and written expression. The writing tasks will be complementary to the student's course studies in science and will address issues at the interface between science and clinical medicine.
sounds too risky

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
jang said:
ah icic
well theres this SMTP thing? so i guess they use that instead of the GAMSAT...
i think it be pretty hard to make it into grad med at Usyd...
can ne1 second that it be harder by this than it would be if u did ne other undergrad course n then applied later with gamsat?
well this is wat i found and copied and pasted

sounds too risky

well, if you do alright at uni you've got all the chances to get into the GMP at usyd, it might even be easier for others to enter via gamsat compared to undergrad.

Usyd require a 5.5 gpa minimum. Which is basically a credit average. They decide who gets interviewed by looking at their gpa (only has to be over 5.5 then it's not used anymore), then they must get the year's GAMSAT score cut-off, which was 58 last year.
They interview about 300 students for 188 places. Less competitive but it's supposed to be difficult to get a good gamsat. (gamsat is a 5.5hour exam consisting of 3 parts)
Many people get in via the gamsat route. In case you wanted to know it costs $286 to do the exam. So it's not exactly cheap to retry the exam again and again. Prep courses for gamsat cost ~$1000 or over. So if you've prepared for gamsat/interview and have got the academic cut-off then you'd have a good chance of obtaining a place in grad med.
Besides, getting a degree first hand is always useful.

In short, trying for grad med is harder in terms of studying/preparing but the competition is much lighter
Undergrad med is much easier but the competition is crazy.
I'd say just keep trying undergrad then try both grad and undergrad med when the opportunity arises.

Last edited:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i disagree...you have to remain competitive in both undergrad and grad medicine in order to obtain the fellowship of your desiring.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
inasero said:
i disagree...you have to remain competitive in both undergrad and grad medicine in order to obtain the fellowship of your desiring.

oh i reread my post, i meant entering grad med/undergrad med, not actually studying the courses
i would have no idea how difficult undergrad/grad med is for now. Well some but not enough to type something up

inasero

Reborn
HSC
oh i'm not sure about entering grad medicine because obviously I havent done it before. I can't tell you for sure whether it's going to be easier for you that way or not...you see the thing is...there are less people applying for graduate entry, but there are less places available anyway.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Out of curiousity, how many people in Sydney would choose a different med course (apart from UNSW) over the USYD one?

"you have to remain competitive in both undergrad and grad medicine in order to obtain the fellowship of your desiring."
Inasero: how does an ungraded program like USYD work then?

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
inas- well there are definitely less applicants, but the number of places are quite high actually. UQ has 250ish places, usyd has bouat 188 places. Another thing is that an applicant can only have one med interview so that minimises the compeititon quite a bit.
Luckily I don't have to do the gamsat anymore, got lucky with newc :p

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Let me explain it to you this way...the repective postgraduate colleges don't look so much at your university results as much as your potential demonstrated throughout your clinical years to your supervisors (hence the attitude that it's more who you know rather than what you know that gets you in). And to have good clinical practice, you should excel at your theory hence my assertion that you need to remain competitive throughout your pre-clinical years in medicine (both undergrad and grad).

I hope this has clarified your query.

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
inasero said:
Let me explain it to you this way...the repective postgraduate colleges don't look so much at your university results as much as your potential demonstrated throughout your clinical years to your supervisors (hence the attitude that it's more who you know rather than what you know that gets you in).
i.e. kiss ass all the way through 4th/5th/6th year

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
dun 4get internships and RMOs..
suck sooooo much asss was the only advice given..

inasero

Reborn
HSC
It's a worrying thing that needs to be stopped. People shouldn't become dermatologists or surgeons on the basis of how much they suck up...but rather their respective merits. I don't know if I can degreade myself due to my pride, but if it's going to determine what I do with the rest of my life what choice do I have? Especially when what I want to do (opthalmology) just so happens to be the highest in demand, great....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)