med in sydney universities (1 Viewer)

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
isn't medicine a 2nd degree subject now? i am very confused. a family friend of mine achieved 100UAI last year (congratulations to Jono mate) and he got into B Med @ UNSW. can someone explain to me?

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Some unis offer it as an undergraduate course, some offer it as a graduate course.

[Also, BMed would've been UNC, not UNSW.]

BoganBoy

HSC
As far as i know about the USyd Med undergraduate course, they have only started this year and only had sumthing around 10 places. so to get in is nearly impossible. unless ur sumone who gets 99.9-100, and u better have sum sort of talent like grade 9 piano or sumthing. but this year is the trial year, so i guess they will open up more places in the future years.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Don't hold your breath too much... I doubt they'd want to detract too much from their normal graduate intake.

I believe this year you needed 99.95 or 100 to be shortlisted (with the 95+ in 4U maths or 90+ in a science, in addition to a top band in a humanities subject/4U english) and then you would've had a 1 in 3.5 chance of making it through the interview.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
So once you get into this combined science and medicine program at USyd, do you go straight into medicine after the 3 year adv science or med science, or do you still have to participate in GAMSAT?

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
i htink they still have to do gamsat and get the required cut off like veryone else but you don't have to do the interview again.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Bob.J said:
i htink they still have to do gamsat and get the required cut off like veryone else but you don't have to do the interview again.
That's just stupid...what's the point then?.... Just apply once you finish your Bachelor of science degree. lol
I thought it was a guarantee entry if you maintain a good WAM...

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yep its stupid...other universities have provisional entry programs. E.g. ANU, UQ and you only need to maintain fairly low averages and mediocre GAMSAT to enter graduate medicine

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
u need like high distinction averages in science or u don't get your spot

its pretty stupid

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I dont think they do the GAMSAT.

They do 0 cp subjects over the years which replace it.

You need to stay in the TSP to keep going so a WAM of 80.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Xayma said:
I dont think they do the GAMSAT.

They do 0 cp subjects over the years which replace it.

You need to stay in the TSP to keep going so a WAM of 80.
fcuk.. thats shit..
id do wat survivor sed..

nit

HSC
you don't need to do GAMSAT unless you want to try out for scholarships - ie stuffing up gamsat won't preclude you from a spot. On the other hand, there is an interview, but it is a "progression interview" rather than an "admission interview".

Edit: So the criteria include maintaining a wam of 80, satisfactorily completing 0 point credit tasks in the first 3 years, and I guess getting through the interview.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yes the million dollar question- WHY did you accept your offer in USyd? Do you know how hard it is to maintain a Wam of 80?

Estel

Tutor
HSC
UNSW 7 year program lets 1 non-med major vs. 3 for USYD.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
I've heard many ppl saying 80 WAM is
a.) very hard requiring much work and talent
b.) a pissover

But if you got the 99.95/100, would you not be more inclined to believe yourself a member of camp b?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
You appear to have no experience of Uni...
the UAI is not proportional to university performance!
Same goes for Medicine. There are people in my faculty who had lower ENTERs but did well in first year and vice-versa.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
I don't have any uni experience, and neither do the people who will end up doing courses requiring 80 WAM...

but does one have any better indicator at one's disposal?

Anyhow I'm happy with you portraying an 80 WAM as difficult. It will make missing out on the 99.95 needed for entry into the course a little less painful.

Last edited:

nit

HSC
At this point in time, the decision may appear to be the wrong one - I could probably have chosen to do UNSW med and have a "relative" coast through the degree, or at least not worry so much about wam's and whatnot. But, upon completion of the MBBS degree, and having completed a double (or triple) major in science - I intend biochem coupled with pharmacology at this point- there's the chance also to do the MBBS/PhD degree. What better way to get into medical research? I've heard a lot of good things about the Usyd GMP as well, and the practical nature of this course would counter the more theoretical science years. Anyway, I've enjoyed the sciences, and maths, at school, having excelled in chem especially. In other words, I feel some sort of confidence in maintaining the required WAM. But yes, at this point in time, it could be construed as a very wrong move compared to the easier unsw course, but I really can't think of a better way to become the clinician scientist I want to be. The required WAM furthermore will really allow me to stay focussed on the work at uni, and will provide, I guess, some sort of incentive to do well. So basically, this course allows me to pursue the sciences etc at a high level, gives me some sort of guarantee into the gmp -given a good enough work ethic I believe- and all this conveniently in sydney.

Edit: Then there's also the little factor of scholarship money involved here, greatly reducing the amount that would, for example, have to be paid if I went to UNSW.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)