mechatronic/robotics engineers! Our future? (2 Viewers)

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
Is this a good career prospect for us in the future to come?

Anything related is welcomed to discuss.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I was doing mechatronics for the first 1.5 years of my degree, dropped it because the mechanical component is bullshit.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
I was doing mechatronics for the first 1.5 years of my degree, dropped it because the mechanical component is bullshit.
what, you mean they just put it in for the sake of it?

ioniser

HSC
T-mac01 said:
Is this a good career prospect for us in the future to come?

Anything related is welcomed to discuss.

Mechatronics is rather very new it is pretty much the transformation from mechanical engineering ,where newer mechanical stuff is starting to involve electronic functions. At the moment this industry is still in development .If you did a job search world wide you will find that mechatronics engineers are still not in demand yet the ratio you will find is like 10 to 3 (mech:mecha).This industry wont boom for a little while yet.However the worlds biggest mechanical engineering firm( the one that engineered ball bearings) have announced that mechanical engineering has reached the end of its road and proposed their industry could not develop further.This is pretty big as they pretty much are the kings of the sector.But the company has since brought out a company that makes magnetic ball bearings and have moved forward into the mechatronics sector using this new technology.

I'm currently studying engineering at uts which allows you to major in both mechatronics and mechanical engineering in the same time frame of a normal single major degree. So pretty much i can wait out for this boom to come which wont be for a while.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
T-mac01 said:
what, you mean they just put it in for the sake of it?
As in I hated everything to do with mechanics and it didn't click with me.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
ioniser said:
Mechatronics is rather very new it is pretty much the transformation from mechanical engineering ,where newer mechanical stuff is starting to involve electronic functions. At the moment this industry is still in development .If you did a job search world wide you will find that mechatronics engineers are still not in demand yet the ratio you will find is like 10 to 3 (mech:mecha).This industry wont boom for a little while yet.However the worlds biggest mechanical engineering firm( the one that engineered ball bearings) have announced that mechanical engineering has reached the end of its road and proposed their industry could not develop further.This is pretty big as they pretty much are the kings of the sector.But the company has since brought out a company that makes magnetic ball bearings and have moved forward into the mechatronics sector using this new technology.

I'm currently studying engineering at uts which allows you to major in both mechatronics and mechanical engineering in the same time frame of a normal single major degree. So pretty much i can wait out for this boom to come which wont be for a while.
cool thanks for the info.

What time frame do you have in mind as in "a while"?

ioniser

HSC
Well I m taking a guess at this as I don't like full analyse these statistics everyday ,lol. But I 'm guessing probably around 5 to 15 years,from the economic outlook japan is expecting to launch a mass production for home robotics in about 3-5 years if this becomes a success then it could hit other shores in about 5-7 years, so there could be a boom there .On the other hand the big mechanical industries haven't made the transition of mechanical machinery to mechatronics machinery as the technology isn't required yet .Once these sectors start requiring and updating these technologies thats when big demand for mechatronics people will come.This comes from people needing mechatronics people to maintain and design the new technologies. In general the theroy is that a mechatronics is required when technology becomes so deep that different engineering disciplines cant interact with each other due to the depth,hence the mechatronics engineer is needed to bridge this gap.At the moment the discliplines are still able to interact with each other understandably.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
hey so on that note...if i were to become a mechatronic engineer, which will take 2 years to finish the HSC + 4-5 years to get the degree...will there be a big demand for me? Or will there be ANY demand for me? How would mechanical engineering benefit me? I heard that mechanical engineers can work in practically any industry...

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
S1M0 said:
hey so on that note...if i were to become a mechatronic engineer, which will take 2 years to finish the HSC + 4-5 years to get the degree...will there be a big demand for me? Or will there be ANY demand for me? How would mechanical engineering benefit me? I heard that mechanical engineers can work in practically any industry...
That's what they say about mechatronic engineers. There's really no definite number of industries you can work in. You can work in some industries but how many of them do actually work in those industries is still doubtful. It will partially depend on how many jobs a particular industry can offer for mechanical engineers.
Although a demand for you is related to industrial needs, it's hard to say whether it's going to be big or small. It will only increase your chances of being demanded. The rest is up to your own profiles.

sitk

HSC
In all honesty, there is very little difference between mech and mechatronic degrees, like only a few electrical engineering subjects + electives. If you come out of uni as a mechatronic engineer and find no jobs, if you are smart you are likely to be able to get a job as a mechanical engineering with relatively little difficulty.

If you are interested in mech as well as electronics, do mechatronic. If for any reason you can't find a specific mechatronic job when you get out, you can still do mech eng work. Plus as a mech engineer, it can't hurt to know some electronics, it could come as an advantage.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Mechatronics and Electrical engineers should see good prospects as tasks are becoming more automated.

sitk said:
In all honesty, there is very little difference between mech and mechatronic degrees, like only a few electrical engineering subjects + electives. If you come out of uni as a mechatronic engineer and find no jobs, if you are smart you are likely to be able to get a job as a mechanical engineering with relatively little difficulty.

If you are interested in mech as well as electronics, do mechatronic. If for any reason you can't find a specific mechatronic job when you get out, you can still do mech eng work. Plus as a mech engineer, it can't hurt to know some electronics, it could come as an advantage.
That explains why an Electrical Engineering elective has been introduced into the Mechanical Engineering program.
As I enrolled in the second semester subjects, friends agreed that even electrical would be a nice elective to do.

Willskiiiez

HSC
I'm thinking of doing Mechanical and Mechatronics in UTS next year.
What subjects do you need do?
and i think i'll need to do physics, so whens the summer bridging program start?
and overall is it worth it?

sitk

HSC
physics and 3u maths would be assumed, as in all engineering courses. Bridging course in maths and physics would probably help a lot.

For UNSW (and i think all other unis as well), the bridging course happen in February, before the actual courses start.

wanopanog

HSC
N/A
so i'm interested in studying Mechatronics, or Mechanical engineering next year; which uni would be best for this?

sitk

HSC
UNSW and USyd are the best, especially if you want to do research or postgrad. Anyone who says they can tell you which one out of them is the best is a liar or just ignorant.

UTS is good too because of its industry links and emphasis on employable skills, especially if you're hoping to good job prospects coming out with a 4 year engineering degree.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
USYD is fucking horrible. Their engineering buildings and shit are shameful compared to what we have.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
sitk said:
physics and 3u maths would be assumed, as in all engineering courses. Bridging course in maths and physics would probably help a lot.

For UNSW (and i think all other unis as well), the bridging course happen in February, before the actual courses start.
not at unsw ... fuck hsc physics

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)