Mechanics Question (1 Viewer)

Voldemath

HSC
Hey,
Can someone please show me their working out on how to solve this question... Been stuck on it for the last hour.

2. A particle of mass m moves under a retarding force that is proportional to the cube of the speed. Find how long it takes to travel a distance d from the instant speed was u.

The answer is:

d/u + kd^2/ 2m

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Hey,
Can someone please show me their working out on how to solve this question... Been stuck on it for the last hour. Don't really know how to integrate 1/(mg-kv^3) :newburn:

2. A particle of mass m moves under a retarding force that is proportional to the cube of the speed. Find how long it takes to travel a distance d from the instant speed was u.

The answer is:

d/u + kd^2/ 2m

Last edited:

Voldemath

HSC
Thanks a lot! Would've been here for a long time. Makes sense though now cheers :)

Voldemath

HSC
Another mechanics question... This time on circular motion.

10. A smooth circular disc rotates in a horizontal plane with angular velocity w rad/s about a vertical axis through its centre C. A particle P is connected by light, inextensible strings to points A and B on a diameter of the disc such that AC = BC = 5l m, AP = 8l m and BP = 6l m. If the tension in AP is P kg wt and both strings remain taut find:
i) The tension in BP.
ii) The mass of the particle.

Answers:
i) 3P/4
ii) (Pg)/(4w^2l)

Thanks in advance :sun:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Another mechanics question... This time on circular motion.

10. A smooth circular disc rotates in a horizontal plane with angular velocity w rad/s about a vertical axis through its centre C. A particle P is connected by light, inextensible strings to points A and B on a diameter of the disc such that AC = BC = 5l m, AP = 8l m and BP = 6l m. If the tension in AP is P kg wt and both strings remain taut find:
i) The tension in BP.
ii) The mass of the particle.

Answers:
i) 3P/4
ii) (Pg)/(4w^2l)

Thanks in advance :sun:

(Sorry, this makes a lot more sense if we assume knowledge of vectors, which isn't in the syllabus in too much detail; I'm not really sure if it's possible to do without using vectors. But the HSC doesn't usually ask mechanics Q's that require detailed knowledge of vectors.)

Voldemath

HSC

(Sorry, this makes a lot more sense if we assume knowledge of vectors, which isn't in the syllabus in too much detail; I'm not really sure if it's possible to do without using vectors. But the HSC doesn't usually ask mechanics Q's that require detailed knowledge of vectors.)
Terribly sorry about that... I thought it was a standard notation to write kg wt since my tuition uses it all the time. Basically 1kg wt is 9.8kgms^(-2) or 9.8N. Your vector method for i) makes sense to me. I do believe the answer to ii) may be correct. Would you be kind enough to post how u got to your answer for ii) as well with your vector method. I'll be willing to give my night for u to teach me a bit more about them.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Terribly sorry about that... I thought it was a standard notation to write kg wt since my tuition uses it all the time. Basically 1kg wt is 9.8kgms^(-2) or 9.8N. Your vector method for i) makes sense to me. I do believe the answer to ii) may be correct. Would you be kind enough to post how u got to your answer for ii) as well with your vector method. I'll be willing to give my night for u to teach me a bit more about them.
I searched it online and sources have said that kg wt stands for 'kilogram weight' and is equal to newtons like you said, but it's better to use N (newtons) if writing force units in the HSC (assuming they give you units (and if they do, it would generally be in newtons)). Newtons is SI units, whereas kg wt is not, and there's a greater risk probably of the marker not knowing it (there's actually an old thread about it: http://community.boredofstudies.org/14/mathematics-extension-2/14427/newtons-kg-wt.html ).

Last edited:

Voldemath

HSC
Alright thanks so much for all ur help :D I'm in the middle of my 90 question mechanics marathon so I'll let u know if I have any other questions.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Alright thanks so much for all ur help :D I'm in the middle of my 90 question mechanics marathon so I'll let u know if I have any other questions.
I just realised why the answer had g on the numerator. It's because they used kg wt as the units, which, as you said, is essentially g newtons. So the tension force was actually newtons. I was doing the Q assuming newtons, because I hadn't heard of kg wt before. So using newtons instead, I'd get the answer you gave. (My method would still be the same.)

Voldemath

HSC
I just realised why the answer had g on the numerator. It's because they used kg wt as the units, which, as you said, is essentially g newtons. So the tension force was actually newtons. I was doing the Q assuming newtons, because I hadn't heard of kg wt before. So using newtons instead, I'd get the answer you gave. (My method would still be the same.)
Perfect just as I thought. Thanks for the help!

Voldemath

HSC
Ok my next question is on conical pendulums:
4. A smooth hollow cone of semi-vertex angle a is placed with axis vertical and vertex downward. A particle moves in a circle on its inner making nrevolutions per second. Find the distance of the particle from the axis of the cone at any time.

Answer:
(gcot(a))/(4(pi)^2 n^2)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Ok my next question is on conical pendulums:
4. A smooth hollow cone of semi-vertex angle a is placed with axis vertical and vertex downward. A particle moves in a circle on its inner making nrevolutions per second. Find the distance of the particle from the axis of the cone at any time.

Answer:
(gcot(a))/(4(pi)^2 n^2)

Last edited:

Voldemath

HSC
As usual thanks for the great in-depth reply. The solution is absolutely crystal clear. I always seem to struggle with getting the diagram in these pendulum questions, especially with multiple masses :blink2:

Voldemath

HSC
Ok I'm back with two more questions - this time on projectile motion :spin:

8. A particle projected with speed V can just reach a certain point on the horizontal plane through the point of projection. Show that to hit a target h metres above the ground at the same horizontal distance using the same angle of projection the speed of projection must be increased to (V^2)/(V^2 -gh)^(1/2)

9. A stone is projected upwards at an angle of elevation a with an initial velocity of projection U. If at time t, the stone is moving in a direction perpendicular to the velocity of projection show that: t = U/(gsin(a)). Also, find the stone's speed at that time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)