Mechanical Engineering (1 Viewer)

click here

to see my profile
HSC
Just want to know from students who are studying it, whether it's a good course or not. Is the course fun? Is it hard? Is there a lot of maths involved? job prospects? salary?

ta

ohne

HSC
There is a fair amount of maths involved in any engineering degree. They are not overly dominated by maths, but there is a fair amount of stuff to learn over the space of the degree.

Engineering courses generally have very good employment outcomes compared to other courses such as arts/humanities/social sciences. With very good starting salaries and employment outcomes. All of those people who do law because they think it has good pay/employment outcomes don't really have a clue.

According to the university supplement in the paper today, mechanical engineering has the following outcomes:

% fully employed: 85.4
% unemployed, seeking full-time work: 8.1
% part-time,casual, seeking full-time work: 6.5
median starting salary 2004: $42500
median starting salary: $35000
$ increase 1999 - 2004: 7500

projected 2007 median salary: $51607
$ increase 2004 -2007: $9107

Pretty much all of those figures were above average, so if you're interested in it, i'd say go for it!

click here

to see my profile
HSC
alright, thanks for that

are you doing mech. eng.?

How hard is the maths. I'm still not sure whether I should choose it if the maths is too hard. Is it harder than say 4 unit maths?

Farnarcle

I did 3U maths at school and I went alright at First year maths. I seem to think that it is similar in some areas to 4U maths. Well, as much as I could pick up from people who did 4U, anyway.

First year generally has a lot of subjects that are done just to give you a background in the area (Physics, Chem, Manufacturing, Design, Computing, Materials). I really see the other subjects I did (Eng Mechanics, Mechanics of Solids, and maths) as the core subjects that will be built on in second year.

Basically if you're not afraid of some hard work you'll be fine. One thing I've learnt about Uni, even moreso in Engineering, is that you're marks are pretty much proportionate with the effort you put in.

And yes, I've just completed first year Mech Eng.

click here

to see my profile
HSC
^thanks

another question: I didn't do chem or physics at school. I'm going to do bridging courses. Is there a lot of chem / physics involved?

Also, what do you honestly think about the course? Do you find it boring at times?

Plus, what course are you planning to choose after your second year? mechatronics, aero, manufacturing, or mechanicial?

Farnarcle

I did Physics at school. The physics in first year has a lot of similar stuff from the HSC with a lot of calculus and stuff put in. Chem was hard for me cos I didn't do it at school, but I actually got a better mark in that, cos I put more work in. Basically is you can pass them both, you won't have to ever look at them again. But it would be a good idea to get a good mark, anyway.

I really like Mech Eng, but that's cos I'm strange, heh. I just like finding out how things work. And its good cos if you do it right you can really make a difference in the world. It can be boring at times, but I have a really shocking short term memory, so all I get is the long term feeling of the course, which is really good.

I'm hoping to get into Mechatronics.

Don_Juan

HSC
I don't entirely agree with you Dan.

Physics is a joke in HSC. Even if you did do it for the HSC (like i did, and many others thinking it would be helpful) i thought it was the most difficult to "understand".

Chemistry is a breeze but you can defer doing it till pretty much the end of your degree (like some ppl, Tibor comes to mind)

I wouldn't worry about the salary or job prospects, we're needed all the time. In most cases alot of people won't even finish in a Engineering type job. A couple of GRES in my unit are consultants, managers, etc. Earning well above 60, The degree is just well renown and recognised.

Lastly Its a bloody awesome course, really interesting, and the people you meet will be your friends for life (its like starting highschool again, but a unibar as the canteen).and a lot more eye candy.

And yes, i've just completed first year Mecheng ;-)

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
The level of difficulty of physics in first year certainly blew away any knowledge of physics I had in year 12 that's for sure.
And I've completed first year as well bar a few courses (physics and maths1231) *sheepish grin*

click here

to see my profile
HSC
Oh SHIT! I wasn't good at physics at school :(

Last question: What is the drop off rate for mech. eng.? About how many people dropped out that you know of in the first year?

Don_Juan

HSC
Well judging by class numbers of 2004 and the mech 1300 class and mech 1400 of 1st and 2nd semester we get:

MECH1300 Semester 1: 237 people

MECH1400 Semester 2: 190 people
MECH1300 Semester 2: 77 people
^
(people who failed 1st semester, but there were people doing for the first time aswel...unlucky bastards - mining Engineers i think)

These numbers arn't accurate as people sometimes repeat until they do finally make it... I knew of a person in 1400 doing it for thier 3rd time, only knew one guy who actually quit to join the ADF, others just defered.

So i'd say around 30...but its REALLY hard to say. maybe i'm just talking shit.

Don't worry too much about Physics and Chem. You'll soon relise that all the tests are similar from wateva they give you (past papers), and they give you lotsa chances to pass with assessments (I don't think i passed a Physics exam or maybe only just, but nailed any assessments + they like give you second chances for any mid years you do (In 1st year you can pretty much pass the course with a mid semester exam.

If you're really shit scared of maths maybe engineering isn't for you. But if you do become passionate and put in the hard work like Farnicle said, and ofcourse have a good time then you'll really enjoy it.

Might be an idea to enlist in a Mentor aswell. But yeah wateva. As long as you all go to O week (even if you don't go to UNSW).

click here

to see my profile
HSC
that's a really high dropout rate...

*gets scares*

oh well...I'm still going to choose it as the other courses don't really interest me.

thanks all who replied

click here

to see my profile
HSC
guys, I've enrolled and found out that in semester 1, l have to attend 24 hours worth of lessons/lectures/prac per week. And in semester 2, it's 28 hours per week! Is this right? It seems too much :(
How did you guys cope with your first year?

sunny

meh.
HSC
23-25 hpw for first year engineering is of the norm.

28 is rather high though.

Farnarcle

Yeh well in second sem they have a 4 hour lab for manufacturing. Its at the Ultimo TAFE so art of that 4 hours is an allowance for travel.

shArkEe

Farnarcle said:
Yeh well in second sem they have a 4 hour lab for manufacturing. Its at the Ultimo TAFE so art of that 4 hours is an allowance for travel.
just curious your " 4 hour lab or manufacturing" at ultimo TAFE, is dat with the UTS student ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)