• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

mechanical engineering vs civil engineering (1 Viewer)

leadboy

HSC
heyy im doing a double degree. engineering and commerce. i was leaning towards mechanical with a finance major. but ive been hearing that its better to do civil, based on future job prospects. mechanical just sounded more interesting, however civil does sound gud too. in terms of job prospects, is ther a lot of demand for mechanical

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
heyy im doing a double degree. engineering and commerce. i was leaning towards mechanical with a finance major. but ive been hearing that its better to do civil, based on future job prospects. mechanical just sounded more interesting, however civil does sound gud too. in terms of job prospects, is ther a lot of demand for mechanical
I here that when the baby boomer engineers retire there will be a huge knowledge gap in the engineer job market, so that should aid your job prospects. What were you hoping to work in with a mech engineering degree?

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
straight mechanical is pretty much the hardest of all the engineering degrees, except maybe mechatronic.

Edit: Lecturers have told us time and time again that regardless of what you think you will end up doing at the start it will be completely different. The maths required for mech is far more difficult than civil or most thing in business. I have done QMA and QMB papers for fun without having done the subjects. If you did mech you would still be able to get a job as a civil engineer with little extra training.

leadboy

HSC
well as a mechanical engineer i was hoping to maybe work in railways or say a car company. wot r the various places i can work in with a civil degree

leadboy

HSC
i have also heard, that life is a bit easier with civil. as it isnt as hard as mechanical. but wud mechanical hav ne added advantages as far as jobs r concernd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)